Upcoming Wayfarer 4.3 Updates - Discussion

NianticTintino-INGNianticTintino-ING Posts: 1,103 admin
edited November 2021 in General Discussion

Hello Explorers, 

You spoke and we listened! I’m very excited to share that we’ll be shipping some new updates with Wayfarer 4.3 next week and hope they add to your Wayfarer experience. Check out the updates below for more information!

Unlimited Quiz Attempts

We’re letting new users attempt the quiz an unlimited number of times with a 15min cooldown period in between - enough time for you to revisit the Criteria pages. We felt it was a shame to limit the attempts and have folks never return back. We believe that practice makes perfect! For those who have already taken the quiz and failed it twice, they will also be able to retake the quiz an unlimited number of times. 

Nominations In Review by Niantic

Nominations that are in review by Niantic will no longer disappear from your Nominations page. Your nominations will be displayed and labeled as being IN VOTING by Niantic, with a Niantic logo badge. 

Rejection Reasons

We’ll display the top two rejection reasons your rejected nominations received - these are based on the rejection reasons noted by your nominations’ reviewers. We heard your feedback about the upcoming email changes and wanted to get this done before we launched the new emails.

Again, we hope you’re as excited as we are to ship these updates! Excited to hear how they improve your Wayfarer experience! Original post HERE!

Safe Exploring!

Tagged:

Comments

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

I guess dr ip is a censored word?

• VidarEagle-INGVidarEagle-ING Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Why only the top 2 rejection reasons? Why not all?

• bilde2910bilde2910 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

The Wayfarer test is very easy, and 15 minutes cooldown is unreasonably short because people will just brute-force it. I personally don't mind getting more attempts, but the current, long cooldown should persist.

Getting "missing" nominations back is a great step forward that I've been looking forward to. I agree with @PkmnTrainerJ-ING, having the indicator also displayed for previously accepted Niantic-reviewed nominations would be a nice-to-have, at least for any nominations that haven't yet (as of now) reached a final decision, going forward.

Rejection reasons on the Wayfarer site is something I'm also looking forward to, but it'd be nice if we get the top three, like we currently get in the emails.

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, this is actually a really good update. The quiz attempts should be accompanied by explanations of what went wrong, and maybe the cooldown adjusted according to some of the other ideas to motivate people to read criteria more closely. But yeah, 2 attempts and then a lifetime ban was hilariously nonsensical. Now people won't need to cheat at the drop of a hat just to avoid it, and they might get more out of it. People who have been making honest efforts to improve things can finally have a chance.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

I agree with the comments here that put the emphasis on the education part.

I don’t feel strongly about a 15 min cooldown although 1 a day sounds a better balance.

Like the idea about the Niantic reviews……

BUT and this is vital @NianticTintino we know that the disappear/reappear is what triggered the still unsolved (as far as I know) problem with sync to Ingress in particular. Still missing a number of keys, AP and credits for discovery.

So will this fix this?

Has it been throughly tested that it this won’t introduce a new bug? Sorry but long experience means I have been bitten more than once by unplanned Niantic bugs.

And just to clarify- Will the rejection reasons solely be generated from 1* in the first box?

• MatildaWolf-PGOMatildaWolf-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

It's probably to reduce the chance of the submitter being confused when they get a rejection email and a reviewer accidentally ****-fingers the wrong rejection reason. Reviewers who review on their phone sometimes hit the rejection reason right below the one they're actually trying to tap. There's been a couple times where I accidentally chose "Live Animal" instead of "Other Rejection Criteria" or chose "Private Residence" instead of "Pedestrian Access."

• KwyjiboHan-PGOKwyjiboHan-PGO Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

15 minutes is ridiculous. I understand you want more reviewers because the queue times are astronomical (mine are measured in years), but just increase it to a day or something.

If I have to wait a day for a new nomination, they can wait a day for a new quiz.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with the general sentiment.

The test, given its multiple-choice responses and some complexities in some questions is not rocket science, but it's also not that easy to select the right answer since it doesn't give feedback if you've gotten a specific one incorrect last time. Since the questions can have up 5 questions each (with some being limited to have 2), in a regular test going blind you would have to select the following, with many questions being borderline similar to each other (yes, it meets criteria vs yes, it is a great place to explore, be social or exercise):

1/5*1/4*1/4*1/2*1/4*1/4*1/2*1/5*1/2*1/5 = 1/256000 chance of selecting all the right answers.

15 minutes is crazy. Why not use the regular 4 hours like the standard cooldown most people get in-between test attempts? Or even the longer 24 hours? Sure, it doesn't take 4 hours to read through all the criteria, but it might only take 15 minutes since it's basic and all laid out in the bare. But then everyone knows that the real Wayfarer is different from the curated Wayfarer test. Locations are moved instead of 3-starred. Playgrounds are weirdly rejected. Objects that look like they don't have pedestrian access in the middle of roundabouts are approved anyway.

Plus anyone who brute-forces the test, but still votes against the general tide of the Wayfarer masses will get disagreements galore and see their rating drop to red/poor, and will have a limited impact on their choices and decisions. Unless they do change the tide, then that's a different story. As long as all contributions are gated behind the test like you've mentioned in 4.2, then it's something rather than nothing.