Upcoming Wayfarer 4.3 Updates - Discussion

Comments

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, and I forgot to say that the other 2 changes are great. Thanks for that!

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlimited quiz attempts is going to lead to a lot more upgrades of ineligible wayspots and a lot more approval of stuff that is categorically ineligible as well as disagreements for those of us that actually review according to the guidelines.

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

So for example, in college classes with those "dynamic study modules"

Sure, I could study, read the book chapters, then take the "quiz"

Oooorrrr I can jump straight into the quiz since it has no penalties (and if it tells me what was wrong) I can keep taking it over and over until I pass and learn nothing, but still get a passing grade.

Perfect.

• MangerNeuchatel-INGMangerNeuchatel-ING Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November 2021
  • patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

What in the world...

Did I say to let users who failed the test twice to experience the orientation and give them one last chance to retake the test?

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlimited tests, so your saying you don't care about quality we just want more more more.

Is there any point in trying to pretend you actually care about the quality of the POIs or the criteria, because your actions and words speak otherwise.

Stupid idea

• sinXsan-INGsinXsan-ING Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Everyone understands implicitly that NIA has not erased most of the POIs in consideration of Pokemon and others. However, I think the NIA should learn from its history that most companies that ignore quality for the sake of profit will fall as a result of poor customer satisfaction. I am thinking that maybe NIA is planning to sell the whole system to another company someday.

@NianticTintino @NianticGiffard @NianticGiffard

• CheeryDog-PGOCheeryDog-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭

So you're developing a system that will allow the "how to pass the Wayfarer test" YouTube videos even more traction?

• JellicleDana-PGOJellicleDana-PGO Posts: 39 ✭✭

This is great! Glad to have more reviewers in the process even if it took them a bit longer to learn the criteria. No chance they will be any worse than the current ones (present company excluded).

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting the Niantic badge next to a nomination that's being reviewed by Niantic is good (definitely more preferable compared to it vanishing until it reaches a decision).

Focusing on only the top 2 rejection reasons seems OK to me. Of course, that assumes that reviewers are being competent when selecting those reasons.

I do echo the sentiments of everyone else about the quiz though. I don't mind multiple more attempts, but every 15 minutes just means it can easily be brute forced with no learning. I think I like @aleprj-PGO 's suggestion of gradually increasing the timescale between retaking the test.

• 1valdis-ING1valdis-ING Posts: 22 ✭✭

So now we can see that Niantic doesn't care AT ALL who is going to review POIs. They just need more unpaid labor, no matter if done good or poorly. You failed the test 20 times and passed it at 21th by luck? Welcome!

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

I've made a basic version of such a quiz in the past with at least 3x the number of questions and a wider variety of coverage than what Niantic currently tests for. If they truly will listen this is something I'd be happy to work with them on.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

@NianticTintino

One quick question, will nominations reviewed by Niantic prior to this update also show the icon? That would be really nice to see.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally, I think that we need to stock up on about 100 questions in the background of a single field of study and not waste time trying to analyze them.

And we should also attempt to update a certain percentage every six months.

We also want to raise the level of the problems themselves.

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

I certainly like the idea that opening up more retesting opportunities will be more inclusive. I don't remember taking the test, but I do remember several silly questions that didn't quite align with how reviewing actually works. I recall some complaints about language/translation issues, too.

Maybe 15 minutes is just long enough that somebody who doesn't belong reviewing will get bored/ lose interest waiting to retest. Or maybe it'll be just long enough to review the guideliness Google the answers.

I also wonder if somebody who passes the test on their first try will have the same reviewer rating as somebody who failed 2+ times. Perhaps people who fail multiple times should start out having less impact on reviews and/or more frequent cooldowns.

• jontebula-INGjontebula-ING Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Start Wayfarer now but i cant see no different with 4.3 😪

• mortuus-INGmortuus-ING Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

sorry but unlimited tries is just crazy - if someone fails 3-4 times those shouldnt be in the system if they cant pass a basic test the first time.

cant say i feel anything positive will come out of this, if anything lazy ppl will just keep submitting crappy poi and legit nice poi is in voting or stuck que forever...

Post edited by mortuus-ING on
  • folkEx-INGfolkEx-ING Posts: 20 ✭✭

With the 15-minute cool-down, what will be achieved is that the bad evaluators can pass the exam and can evaluate, with all the inconveniences that this entails.

This would be solved if there was an exam to request Points of Interest; If this exam is passed, you can request nominations and you can take the evaluation exam. If the proposal review is not passed, it cannot be asked for, nor can it be evaluated.

This topic is not only left there, "toxic" players are also given the opportunity to request up to a maximum of 40 requests, one per day. This is a lot of spam and mindless request abuse that crashes the review system.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

The title is "Upcoming Wayfarer..."

The first line of the post reads: "...I’m very excited to share that we’ll be shipping some new updates with Wayfarer 4.3 next week..."

So this is an announcement. Please wait.

• KotozaY-INGKotozaY-ING Posts: 34 ✭✭✭

I am ready to subscribe to almost every word of colleagues who speak negatively about the changes in the exam.

The further you go, the more the quality of reviewing declines (I've been doing this since OPR, so I can tell), and this proposal will open an even wider gate for those who don't understand the criteria. Let's be honest, for a thinking person even OPR-era test was simple enough, in WF it is even simpler and the fact that someone manages to fail it twice causes me personally nothing but boredom and facepalm.

Quantity is no substitute for quality, unless of course you're still worried about the quality of your POI network.

A good improvement to the system, in my opinion, would be to point out mistakes when you fail on your first attempt, so that the potential reviewer will account for their mistakes in the second.

But it shouldn't just be showing the questions where the wrong answer is given, with the correct answer indicated. The idea should look something like this: "Unfortunately, you made mistakes and could not pass the test. Perhaps you should learn more about the principles of evaluating the following situations: ...", and list the common points in which the novice made mistakes. Definition of PRP, temporalities of objects, safe pedestrian access, etc.