Location change as part of review process

Think I need some insight from ppl doing this for a long time - or Niantic if possible (couldn't find that in AMAs or older forum posts).

If the location of submission is clearly moved (probably for submitter's convenience), but still not very far away (e.g. 200m) and visible on StreetView, should we

a. reject with "Mismatched location" aka "Not found", or

b. use SUGGEST NEW LOCATION button and move the marker to proper place on the map, accepting the nomination as a whole and noting the move in the comments?

I've done quite a few reviews following the b option, but now think those probably got rejected by other reviewers.

Comments

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

200m isn't far away? That's definitely in my range of very far away lol. But my logic is

0-10m, usually leave it sometimes can't fix it anyway as it doesn't let you

10-20m see what it is (or if its maybe to close to somethi g else), but mostly move it

20-30m, move it to correct location, if its clearly been moved to go on tip of a house, Mark for abuse

Anything more, reject as mismatched

• pgarm-INGpgarm-ING Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November 2021

200m is pretty close by for rural area :)

Anyway, only had one like that, most are within 20m. Thanks for sharing your view - exactly what I was looking for (would be nice to have more people weigh in, to get a better sense of agreement on the approach).

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

200m distance is, in my book, abuse distance / fake location, rural area or not. You should be able to drop the pin correctly, ie within a few m of the POI. No ones GPS drifts that far and the majority of time I have tracked down the POI in the surrounding area at that sort of distance, it's obvious that the submitter has been trying to squeeze an "extra" or fake stop out of the system.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's an example in a certain test which asks you to rate the location of a certain neon being with a swirl in its body. The options are:

• 5 stars; marker is on or within a few feet of the object
    • 3 stars; marker is away from the object in map
    • 1 star; Wayspot nomination cannot be found
    • 1 star; Unsure of the location

The nomination in question is about 46m away from where the pin is. The same thing with a certain giant object, but there isn't any prompt to suggest a new location, it simply is just away from the object in map. I used to be diligent enough in moving things to their correct spot, but unfortunately, I can't save a nomination's location alone if the pin is literally in the middle of the road if other reviewers don't do the same. And usually, they don't. So I'll see the nomination go live in a sub-optimal position and I'll just do a location edit in-game if I ever get to it. And the location edit usually takes days anyway to get accepted.

The above statement was pretty unrelated... well this comment is anyway, but if the object is away, I just give it a 3* for location, or probably less depending on the distance, or it gets to a full mismatch maybe at 40m. If it's on the road, 1* for pedestrian access (regardless if it is a playground in a park just submitted on the road), or if it's clearly on a house, yeah that'd get marked down as abuse/fake. There's only so much you can do if you're the only one suggesting a location and your suggested location rarely gets picked.

Defeatist nature, I know.

• pgarm-INGpgarm-ING Posts: 8 ✭✭

Thanks guys, think @HaramDingo-ING nailed the 40m radius as strong indicator of abuse - area of influence is fair threshold.

But given the other comments, it's probably best to reject and add comment like "resubmit with accurate location" :)

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything more than 40m is going into abuse. Even in rural locations, it shouldn't be that hard to place a Wayspot with that high of a degree of inaccuracy.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine actually does drift that far in some parts of my town (it's actually really annoying as it does it in parks most often). Thankfully it rarely happens anywhere that I actually want to submit things, and I always double check my marker before locking it in anyway, but still, GPS drift can be that bad and people may be careless enough not to realise it has happened to them during the submission process.

I do agree it's more likely to be abuse in that scenario though.

• Oakes1923-PGOOakes1923-PGO Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭

It depends on how familiar you are with the nomination process, especially in PoGo. Are users aware they can zoom in and really pinpoint the object. Do they assume the PIN is already in the right spot because that's where they were standing. I can see a young teenager submitting a spot without knowing that he clicked right past the screen asking you to place the PIN to get right to uploading their picture.

Lots of variables can go into in inaccurate PIN placement, I would not run right to abuse for being outside of 40m. 200m, ok now I'm a little more skeptical and would likely reject based on location. At 40M I would probably update the location and move on if its a good nomination.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Rural areas are less prone to GPS drift so there is really no excuse for 200m off from the POI. If someone's phone GPS is really bad, they should also be confirming the location accuracy when they are preparing their submission. I also have found that fairly often when the pinned location is that far off, it happens to be at a location where a Pokestop would be in range of a house. 😑

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

Generally, if I can easily find the POI, I'll just move the pin. I've only had one instance where I've found something blocks away, and I marked that one as abuse.

If the pin is in the middle of the road, it's probably because the submitter didn't realize they needed to move it from the point they're standing to the object itself, so I'll just move the pin in that case. No reason to reject something like that. Even if the pin was placed on someone's house, I don't usually reject outright. We're given the functionality to place the pins ourselves, and I usually see no reason to reject what I can fix as a reviewer.

• Dam0clees-PGODam0clees-PGO Posts: 86 ✭✭

I’ve had nominations moved by reviewers that purposely put them too close to other Already accepted point of interest, when the pin was already positioned on the edge of the playground and they moved it to the middle of the playground. Abuse does go both ways, unfortunately there is no real review processes for those who abuse the suggest new location users. And now it can’t be moved because it would be considered an abusive move suggestion.

• ArborAndyYT-PGOArborAndyYT-PGO Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November 2021

I just had a nomination get approved and Yet location was moved during the review process and now it is unaccessible. I can't access it because I don't play ingress. If a location is suggested then that's where it is so I so I agree with the reviewing process just don't touch it because it was placed there on purpose( unless it is abusive) don't touch it. It was not placed in a strategic way it is in the correct location just where the cells happened to meet. No abuse here as I live on the stop.

If it's within a few feet it's fine Because sometimes the cells don't lineup perfectly so if it's close I will agree.

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

Moving a point to the most accurate place is never an abuse, it's our work as reviewer.

• Maikkku83-PGOMaikkku83-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

I move the the pin if I can easily find the right location. But I have had couple of nominations to review, where the location is clearly off and submitter tells not to move it, cause of some cells. Like what the heck, what cells? I don't know anything about these cells and those go right away to rejection as abuse.