Location Accuracy Question

When you are reviewing wayspots and the location is clearly not accurate do you reduce the rating and then move the pin to the correct spot or do you just just reduce the ratings? Initially I was just moving the pin but then realized people were most likely purposefully putting them in the wrong spot for their advantage so I have now started giving lower ratings.

Tagged:

Comments

• aleprj-INGaleprj-ING Posts: 565 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are not supposed to reduce the rating. If the location is correct after the adjustment, you just review as usual.

If you feel it was moved a large distance on porpuse, you can use the location mismatch rejection. But I only use it for really large distances.

• feliscybernicus-PGOfeliscybernicus-PGO Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

If the target is clearly without any doubt "miles off" the target, then by all means, move it into its rightful spot, if you can be 100% certain it's the correct location. I urge you to make sure you're correct though, for more times than I care to count have I witnessed people moving the target into the wrong spot though, such as to the middle of a sports field or equivalent, when any side would have been correct instead.

However, if its only slightly off the mark, we don't necessarily have to do anything about it. There could be many reasons why it was put in that location. Including, but not limited to:

1) the map is clearly outdated by several years, possibly even longer (which is quite common)

2) the gps location is slightly off (happens all the time especially the farther away from the equator you go, especially with street view)

3) the are multiple correct locations for the same target and this was just the best one (in these cases the submitter really is allowed to choose)

4) the map is outdated, even if it was recently updated. (It's rare - but does happen)

5) it was an accident or something

If there's no clear reason to suspect foul play, or the target isn't like, way off its mark or something and you are certain about it, then perhaps reducing a star or two from the location accuracy is the better road to take, considering sometimes these submission spend years on their way through the system, and sometimes the environment may even have changed a bit in-between. There's nothing stopping players from moving the location to a more correct one later on.

Hope that helped!

Post edited by feliscybernicus-PGO on
  • MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

For #5 would you consider for example a nomination of a church but setting the pin across the street (at least 80 meters off) on top of a house as "an accident or something"? A lot of the nominations with misplaced pins conveniently seem to set the location on or very near PRP and not at any logical place to set the pin for the POI they are nominating.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's amazing how many of the pins for nominations that are genuinely "Duplicate" locations are nowhere near the already existing POI on the review screen.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the location can't be found I mark it as a location mismatch.

If I can move the pin to a correct location then I do so and give it full marks for location accuracy.

• feliscybernicus-PGOfeliscybernicus-PGO Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

If it's literally on top of a house, there is a chance it was actually an accident. Of course it could as well be an attempt to cheat, but sometimes people forget to move the target to the correct location when making a nomination.

• DLuarcaOmega-PGODLuarcaOmega-PGO Posts: 92 Ambassador

I have noted too that there is a bias or tendency that google maps and the GPS Coordinates has a diference of 2-3 mts to the west, so in many cases the pin appears slightly to the east of the real world point, this distance has been increasing in the past5-6 years very slowly. in the past 5 years (since I started to play), and a POI which it's very near of my home (a roundabout, with a Statue of Miguel Hidalgo, the first independencist of Mexico) has moved from the exact center of the turnabout to the exterior border of this.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to go stand where I want the pin, then open the Nomination feature - so the pin defaults to the correct place.

Back when we could play with the map on our Nomination page (now known as Contribution page), I often saw my own pin looking offset. I'd toggle the tile view, and it would look right. If reviewers see the wrong map, they'd move it. But, getting approved with a slightly altered location, is better than not going through at all. People can submit a location change.

On reviewing, a pin plainly set on a dwelling - sets off a red flag as possible abuse for a sofa wayspot. If I can find the correct location, I move it there. If I can't find the actual location, I give it 1* for location mismatch.

The dilemma is when the pin looks deliberately set wrong AND it just doesn't qualify as a wayspot anyway. Then I go with the other rejection code. The nominator can fix the location, but you just can't fix that the proposed waypoint is a kindergarten.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing to bear in mind is that the GPS accuracy of phones is not always great, although it's gotten better in the last few years. I think there are still phones that only have an accuracy of about 5 meters under open skies. Combine this with possible skew in Google's information (from best to worst it's probably satellite/maps, street view, and user-generated photospheres) and it seems reasonable to assume that "within a few meters" is a reasonable level of accuracy.

• DLuarcaOmega-PGODLuarcaOmega-PGO Posts: 92 Ambassador

Sorry, but the slighthly movement is real... I have seeing it's very small but there is and not only is the roundabout, but many pins have moved slightly to the west. The roundabout call my attention because I see it my first day in PGO an in the same center of the roundabout, and latter moved slowly to the west, so is the more apparent and visible.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, every time Google recalibrates its map, wayspots in that area move a little. (It does not drop links or fields, like a Lightship move does.)