Your very first Nomination…

What did you nominate when you first got access to do so? Was it accepted? Was it rejected?

How, as a new Wayfarer/OPR user, did you find the experience?

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,125 Ambassador

To add my own, I nominated a local Post Office. Photo taken at night, got accepted, and later I updated with a few day photos.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

My first nomination was an informational sign. I submitted it 10 minutes after submissions via PGO got unlocked (6-6-2019, esrly access for Germany) . It got approved a few days after the release of Wayfarer.

My first ever approved nomination was a tourist map. It was approved almost instantly after submitting. I havent recieve the approval Mail. I just saw my nomination live as a gym the next time I passend that location

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first nomination was a Grade II Listed building constructed in 1824 that is in use as a community hub for local residents near where I used to live. It got marked as a duplicate (it wasn't a duplicate, I just did a poor job with the title), but was accepted second time around as I learnt from my mistake with the title.

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

My first nomination was the next-door XII century church.

As soon as I can see nomination are possible in my country, I go at night with my father, under a light rain, each of us carrying lights and umbrellas to enlighten the church and take a picture. XD

It's pop up 3 days later. My night picture is still the most voted.

• Theisman-INGTheisman-ING Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first ever nomination was

An outdoor exercise area / walking route.

That was back in the Niantic days of reviewing where submitting it meant waving it goodbye and not knowing if you'd ever get a response.

Thought I had an idea on the type of things they wanted.

As this was pre PoGo even being a dream and there was hardly any POI's about my next were a selection of churches and war memorials.

Most got accepted but a few duplicated, due to the never ending timescale (when a year was the minimum turn around time you could expect) and others had submitted the same before me.

Always enjoyed it, some things id have done differently knowing what I know now, but mainly its all been the same experience, but with a substantially shortened review time.

• feliscybernicus-PGOfeliscybernicus-PGO Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

I nominated a mural. I didn't know too much about nominating a pokestop but it appears I had understood the criteria and guidelines right. I followed the instructions in the nomination page to the best of my ability and the nomination was accepted in a relatively short time without upgrade. Alas, my nomination never made it into any games as another waypoint appeared on the same spot sooner than mine passed the vote.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

A standard office tower. Yes, I didn't aware with the criteria back then. Some moments later I withdrew that nomination knowing that it'll be rejected anyway.

Months later I nominated a water fountain in the back lobby of that office tower..., and it got accepted.

• JSteve0-INGJSteve0-ING Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭

I nominated a Giant Pocket Knife.

It is a cut-out piece of art on a wall. It was rejected. I resubmitted it and it was accepted nine months later.

I had studied and prepared and was not surprised that I had to re-submit.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I understood about the criteria was what I saw in the game, so I submitted a memorial bench at work. My primary image was in super-close, my supporting text extolled the virtues of playing Pokémon in a parking lot that was regularly plowed in the winter, my supporting image didn’t show the bench.

It was rejected as a generic business.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,560 Ambassador
    edited November 2021

I nominated a Historical Sign near the site of an old WWII shipbuilding site near me. I had watched that site for a long time, "saving" it for when I finally hit Level 10 in Ingress: I believe I submitted that sign as soon as I was eligible! I found the whole experience easy and fun, I made a photosphere to make absolutely sure that location could be verified, and that first acceptance sparked my enthusiasm for finding interesting, eligible candidates. Before I reached eligibility, I had read a lot about criteria and placement, so I was reasonably confident going forward. Nominations are why I started playing Ingress, never knowing that would become an addiction in itself. 😁

Edit: I made that nomination in November of 2018 - it was accepted rather speedily. I kept going in Ingress because I enjoyed the game and because I didn't want to be a burden on the system: I needed to reach Level 12 to review. As far as Pokemon, I've been level 40 since September of 2017 so I didn't need to grind a single level ever for Wayfarer purposes!

Post edited by Shilfiell-ING on
  • peardrop-INGpeardrop-ING Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November 2021

My first 3 submissions were on September 26, 2017 - all 3 were rejected, but 2 were later accepted once I added photospheres! (They were an urban trail marker, a mural, and a music bar - music bar was never accepted and I gave up after 2 rejections)

I'd been reviewing since May 2017 at that point, and had missed the original Ingress submissions by a few months, so was pretty excited to get access!

Currently digging into my GDPR data and that small window when I was reviewing before submissions were available was absolutely full of duplicates (20-40% Vs < 10% today), so not sure how useful it was in terms of training, but I became hooked pretty quick!

Nowadays, I don't get decisions without upgrades, so things go a lot more slowly (decision times were usually < 1 month for me pre-wayfarer)

Post edited by peardrop-ING on
  • HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was my very first nomination which was accepted! When I first started Ingress, unfortunately nominations were already disabled, and it wasn't until I quit and came back around May 2018 when I first head the news that a certain medal was retired. So I sped up to Level 10, nominated this mural and presto! The whirl of a love-hate relationship with Wayfarer (OPR at the time) began.

My first rejection however, was a church. Yes, that's right, a church. OPR was very hit and miss at the time, with many playgrounds, exercise equipment, even historical plaques being rejected! Fortunately over time, and especially nowadays, reviewers are much more normal and far less trigger happy rejectors.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador
    edited November 2021

17 November 2018 so nearly 3 years ago.

I had been planning it for ages, was very nervous to get it right.

A outdoor exercise set in a small nearby park that was devoid of any POI

It took about 3/4 months but it was accepted.

A short while later it became a gym - was there for its birth. It took longer but it eventually got its ex raid tag. As well as the gym there are 4 stops ( one of those was submitted the same day) and it’s a great place to visit.

It was tricky getting a photo that showed the POI and had enough around it to allow you to see where it is - what a leap forward it was to be able to have a main and supplementary photo and the additional info for reviewers. And to be able to edit nominations took the pressure off trying to get spelling etc right with freezing hands.

Edit to add

I had become level 40 in PoGo in the July and creating game content seemed a good thing to do. So I set about playing Ingress and took 48 days to reach level 10. I kept on going 🤪 at slower pace.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first nomination was a church sent by email to super-ops at google.com

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first submission was me trying g to get my works sign in 🤣🤣 that was before I knew the guidelines or anything lol, instead my second one was after the guidelines and passed easily lol

• PhoenixOmicron-PGOPhoenixOmicron-PGO Posts: 57 ✭✭✭

My first was slightly unique. It was a mural that locals are expected to pose in front of and makes them look like they have wings. I had read everything I needed to get it accepted and knew that a person could not be in the photograph which took away from it slightly but still a solid submission.

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

First nomination? Welp I was excited on my way home back in 2017 on the day we were first allowed, so my first few nominations were more opportunistic and haphazard than "planned" lol. In order:

1. a bowling alley at the mall. Accepted!
    2. the mall! Rejected. It was rejected a few times; and this being "OPR" with the [REDACTED] Scanner app, each attempt still required going back to the physical location making a brand new attempt with brand new photos. It was rejected so many times I just gave up. EVENTUALLY (ie. this past few months) it was resubmitted by somebody completely new, and was accepted for THEM.
    3. a statue/figure in front of a local business. Accepted! Sort of. I didn't get any notifications about its acceptance/rejection at all. It turned out that there was a VERY large "geoblock" forbidding any new submissions in/near my downtown, due to a previously removed Ingress portal. This fiiiiiinally got resolved with help from Niantic's support staff.
    4. a local restaurant, which also serves as a local landmark. Duplicate! Because a plaque at the location was already a portal. Gah? I have never bothered going back to the spot to retry a submission, because a building is not a plaque is not a building, and they are actually both individually acceptable.

All in all, definitely a relatively unpleasant experience overall. Too much subject to reviewers' whims. I mean, we could NOT for the life of us get either playgrounds or sports fields approved, despite being very clearly on Niantic's "accept" list.

But persistence and education have paid off, and I'm (so far) up to over 340+ accepted nominations.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first nomination was a local bar famous in my area for live music. Got rejected. Got rejected 2-3 times as generic business.

After a FAQ saying local restaurants were acceptible especially as a gathering place or hot local attract, posted for some help in forums. Tweaked my submission. It got accepted nearly 9 months later

• Aeryle88-PGOAeryle88-PGO Posts: 440 ✭✭✭

My first nomination was the public foutain near my house.

it was accepted 5 days after and became the first POI of my village and i finally be able to play without having to take my car and go 10km away to find a POI.

now i have created more than 100 POI in my area.

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first nomination was a plaque I randomly found while walking one night after work, fielding up the area. Found it and thought it would make a pretty neat Point of Interest, from there have nominated so many more lol

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@PkmnTrainerJ-ING

It's a good idea.

Let me give you my first nomination.

I nominated Railroad Station the day after I installed Ingress.

Unfortunately, it came back six months later as a duplicate.

At the time, the world was flooded with nominations, and even in a rural area like mine, it was said to be a six-month, one-year wait for results.

Then, suddenly in June 2015, portals appeared one after another in various places including the city where I live.

It's just my imagination, but I think that Niantic was conducting a closed beta test for OPR.

Post edited by tp235-ING on
  • MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first (and actually only so far) was a metal sculpture. I have a few others planned but I am waiting for decent weather to get good photos.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I nominated two portals on the same day in 2014, both within a mile of my house in a semi-rural area. One was rejected (though it would go through today), the other was accepted. Once it appeared in game I went back and captured it. That portal evolved into my Guardian and I held it for 2346 dsys before (6.4 years) before it got neutralised.

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first nomination was the grocery store near my house. I used Foursquare a lot and was the "Mayor" of the store so wanted a portal there too. Didn't know what they wanted back then.

First approved nomination was the Arcade / fun Center near my house.

Now have had over 1100 approvals.