Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Maraes - New Zealand communal land that really isn't communal - eligible or not?

I've encountered 4 submissions for objects on a marae, 3 have gone live. None are accessible from the road and technically these aren't private property because they're owned by the tribe.

Some marae are more open than others. I have 2 in my neighbourhood.

One is within a University and is a single meeting house. It's ok to walk around the grounds but not to enter the building.

The other is used primarily for teaching and ceremonies but it would still be inappropriate to visit.

We have many POI that are the sign or gate at the entrance to the property. These are usually ornamental and make great POI.

The ones of concern are where a player would need to go onto the marae. Are these vaid POI?

FWIW I left comments on the first 3 but appreciate that they can't all be read.

Best Answer

Answers

• AeriTheBOFH-PGOAeriTheBOFH-PGO Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Are they submissions of the actual marae itself or wooden carvings like of the Maori warriors inside/outside the marae? I would like to think marae are eligible nominations in itself as they are a place of gathering, almost like a church, that is, unless they are on the grounds of K-12. For instance, a marae at a tourist park, that'd be a pretty solid yes. The intermediate I went to also had a marae, and of course that'd be ineligible. Should all come down to where the marae is, I reckon.

I mean, a lot of churches have giant "private property" signs in their carparks, and those are still eligible... Same with private housing estates really.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is a marae similar a reservation in the US? If so, then they are perfectly valid locations regardless on whether the marae is open to non-aboriginals or not. Just treat them like a gated community.

• AeriTheBOFH-PGOAeriTheBOFH-PGO Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure what a reservation is in the US, but a marae is usually open to both Maori and Pakeha (non-Maori).

I'd have no problems approving a marae as a POI or objects in/around it subject to other guidelines.

• grsmhiker-INGgrsmhiker-ING Posts: 176 ✭✭✭✭

@AeriTheBOFH-PGO Reservations in the US are typically large areas, the smaller ones can be just couple square miles but a few in the western US are quite huge and the Navajo nation covers around 1/6 of the state of Arizona.

My bonus location is in NZ; my experience with marae is that they are typically about the size of a church, and I tend to treat them like other religious institutions.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

Niantic had been quite clear that only private residences are considered private property for the purposes of reviewing. Areas that have limited access are not off limits for way points. From how I read your original post I think these areas are ok