Live in Wayfarer 3.1 is a new set of acceptance criteria! Please browse the information in this category with caution as it is in reference to the previous review guidelines. To learn more about the new criteria, see here: https://niantic.helpshift.com/a/wayfarer/

Athletic fields

Hi, I think this question might be already answered somewhere, but I need further clarification.

In my country, some athletic fields (soccer fields, basketball fields, badminton fields, etc.) are located outdoor, with some are established in residential areas.

While some of them are properly maintained, some of them are, I still called them athletic fields even it didn't look like a proper field at all. Examples are soccer fields without lines (it would more likely just an open field of grass with a goal ring put there), basketball fields without lines (more likely a concrete field with a basketball ring put there), volleyball field without proper lines and net, and so on. However, those are still used for locals to do sport activities.

Would these kinds of athletic fields eligible?

Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• NorthSeaPoet-INGNorthSeaPoet-ING Posts: 895 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as they're not on PRP or school grounds, they should be okay.

• AgentB0ss-INGAgentB0ss-ING Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

As per what @Gendgi said here is the official AMA response:

November 2018:

Q31: in the sports field clarification from last AMA, there was quite a bit of chaos concerning whether it was intended that a sports field without a sign could or should be given less than 5 stars. Many thought that it was could rather than should because most sports fields can be easily verified by google maps or photospheres; and the requirement of a sign disqualifies anywhere between 50-80% of sports fields in any given town often depending upon the affluence of a town. That would in effect punish rural communities most of all being that they tend to be the least affluent. A little more clarification there may be necessary. Could suggests that Niantic is aware of the reality that there is a problem with rogue reviewers/reviewers not up to date with the guidelines, while should seems to run contrary to the spirit of the game and the current mode suggesting that Niantic desires more POI rather than fewer; as well as aiding the rural communities in gaining more POI.

A31: NIA OPS input is, “There needs to be a physical object that ties to the Portal, so players know where to expect it to be. Middle of a sports field is usually not a good location.”

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it should also be added that the physical object needs to be permanent. I've rejected more than a few youth soccer fields with removable goals and no other physical feature.