Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Faulty german translation

JasperXCX-PGOJasperXCX-PGO Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited August 2021 in Report a Bug

Since the last big Wayfarer-Update, there has been one german translation causing some issues. It was once reported when it was new, acknowledged, but never fixed, so I am reporting it once more.

The problem is this:

This basically means the same thing.

"Location is inappropiate" vs "Inappropiate location", but they actually do different things. They should be renamed to avoid confusion and wrong rejection reasons. The word "unangemessen" itself is a poor choice, since some germans can easily misunderstand it with "unpassend" (meaning: "unfitting"). This is why many germans get their nomations rejected with "Cemetery" or "Explicit location" (adult entertainment) when they actually should be rejected for "Other rejection criteria". Not only produces this false rejection reasons in germany, it affects the countries around germany too, if a nomination is upgraded (let's say in Czechia or Netherlands) and german voters reject it for the wrong reason. Examples for this actually affecting the quality of the reviews are: a czech boat rental being rejected for being a private tombstone, or a german post office being rejected for having adult entertainment, like, really? It's obvious that this false translation took their part on this. We haven't had such strongly false rejection reasons since before that particular update. (Here is another person making this point: https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/102116#Comment_102116 )

Now, I know which one is which by setting it to english, but new german reviewers won't know this, and think either is fine for something that doesn't meet the criteria. Which results in the confusion I stated above.

The way to fix this is get rid of the word "unangemessen" and make the differences between those two clear. So I hereby ask to change this translation. I have a solution which sounds best too.

Change the first option to: "Anstößiger Ort", which will tell german reviewers very clearly that they're rejecting it for it being a explicit location, something that would have adult entertainment.

Change the second option to: "Sensibler Ort", that will also make it obvious to german readers that stuff like private tombstones are too sensitive to be included in the game.

A lot of people in the german community can provide other examples if needed (basically stuff that didn't meet the approval criterias being rejected for either adult entertainment or private tombstones over and over in many cases while the nearest nightclub or cemetary is miles away, or even non-existent)

These two changes would greatly increase the experience for both, german (and nearby countries) submitters and reviewers, removing a lot of confusion and false reasons.

Post edited by JasperXCX-PGO on
4 votes

Working on a Fix · Last Updated

Comments

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes thanks For Bring it Up again, WE have Reported this several Times Here but Niantic didnt fix this, which is very very bad. They Seem to Not bother too much as they might think, both lead to the Same conclusion.

• JasperXCX-PGOJasperXCX-PGO Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited August 2021

Another case of this bad translation taking effect just now: I had a building of historic (with a history known to locals) importance rejected. For, again, it being "explicit". That's just not true at all... It just can't be that at every hiking trial, post office, historic building, information table etc I submit there's 'adult entertainment, orgies happening or coincidentally a person being buried below that location'. One might argue this building may not meet acceptance criteria, which is another point not having to do with this bug, the point is, reviewers click on "Location" and think: "Oh, there's inappropiate location twice, but it won't matter, I'll just click this because I think this should be rejected anyway and that POI is unfitting for the game". And there you have it, the "right" reason "Other rejection criteria" would have been overlooked or just mistaken for the wrong thing, thanks to this translation error.

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

I reported that the day it got invented. Havent changed status since then:

Similar thing with wrong texts to rejection reasons. Never got fixed even though it should have. The answer was "will get fixed with the next update".

Hello dear Niantic.

I have seen that some german translations have been altered since the big update after the maintenance.

However, there is still this big translation issue I reported here.

Since this happened, I have been getting more "sensitive location like gravestones or cemeteries" on things that could never be sensitive, thanks to this false translation. This again makes it impossible to improve your own nomination since it's giving nothing to really work with other than "oh, well, reviewers misunderstood the rejection reasons again, I'll just submit it again and pray for other results".

Please, can we get some updates about this? @NianticGiffard @NianticTintino

Hello @NianticGiffard , @NianticTintino , are there any updates on this? Several updates have happened to Wayfarer, I noticed a few minor translation changes, but this one remained unchanged and is still very frustrating to deal with.

• Testonoga-PGOTestonoga-PGO Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

"Dear Wayfinders! After careful analysis of the subject of your report, we have come to the conclusion that this is the most accurate translation and everything is working as intended. This is why we have not made any changes during the most recent text updates. We consider both reasons to be distinct, so please consider this when reviewing Wayspots and follow the criteria. Thank you!"

... said no one ever. I think it would be a no-brainer to change this, but neither Wayfarer nor the game are optimized for non-English users (as in people who may speak English, but set Wayfarer and the games to their native language) - and this is the majority - to say the least.

• dustinyeeaah-PGOdustinyeeaah-PGO Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump 🙃

These are basically the rejection reasons for german reviewers that think it means it's not a good place to play Niantic games. A trail marker? Inappropriate. Bike trail marker? Inappropriate. I had this happen sooo many times and you just have to cut the faulty translations & paste the correct ones in the german Wayfarer version....what is taking so long?