Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Portal Discovered count not getting incremented after Wayspots are accepted.

iHellrai5er-PGOiHellrai5er-PGO Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

I have submitted a lot of wayspots which are getting reviewed by Niantic and by other players in a rapid rate.

I have the known issue of places getting accepted but not coming live in Ingress or Pokemon go.

But i have also noticed that few places which come live in Ingress without giving likes in Pokemon go are still not counted towards "Portal Discovered".

Previously when something was accpeted in Ingress, i will get a key, it will appear as a portal and the portal discovered count will go up by 1. Now its only appearing after a day, i still get one key, but the count is not getting added.

26 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Cosk62-INGCosk62-ING Posts: 66 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

Just noticed the same thing. Portal that showed up in Ingress around 2:00-2:30pm PST did not count for "Portals Discovered". It's been more than 12 hours since the portals synced to Ingress.

Edit: this is probably an Ingress issue rather than a Wayfarer issue. Linking the corresponding thread on the Ingress forum - https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/17135/portals-discovered-stat-is-not-updated

Post edited by Cosk62-ING on
  • MattZapp17-INGMattZapp17-ING Posts: 20 ✭✭

A few locals have also noticed this as well!

• grsmhiker-INGgrsmhiker-ING Posts: 176 ✭✭✭✭

I am having this same issue as well.

I keep close track of my approvals and hold on to each key as I get them. My "portals discovered" count should be 639, but is at 637. The culprits are two wayspots that were approved but did not show up in Ingress for some time afterward:

1. "Whereloom Honey" was approved November 2 but did not appear in game for over a week.
    2. "MLK Community Center Basketball Courts" was approved on August 5 but went live yesterday.
  • ForzaComo-INGForzaComo-ING Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

This is just speculation so far, but it seems that wayspots accepted after the 11/11/21 server maintenance are taking days to actually get into the games and if they do, they do not increment to the "Portals discovered" statistics in Ingress (at least).

Previously all wayspots accepted by the Wayfarer community did appear in Ingress right away, and provided AP, portal key and a +1 to stats. The only exception has been wayspots approved by Niantic which only appeared in Pokemon Go. By giving a thumbs up or otherwise activating a sync in PoGo caused those wayspots to appear in Ingress also (with key and AP), but those didn't credit a +1 to stats.

This new problem seems to be with ALL wayspots. However these two instances should be separated (approved by Niantic, has been buggy for 100 days now - approved by Wayfarer community, has buggy since last week).

Edit: Reading from elsewhere, this seems to have started already on 10/11/2021. So wayspots accepted 9/11 have worked fine, but after that they have not been counted to stats.

Post edited by ForzaComo-ING on

I had another three old wayspots go live in Ingress today, bringing me to 5 total uncredited in my "portals discovered" stat.

Interestingly, two of those that appeared in Ingress today were bugged nominations from May 2018 (yes, 2018!) that were stuck "in queue" but I could not edit or upgrade. I never got emails for either one; one was approved (manually, by staff, I suspect) and the other was marked as a duplicate (someone else had nominated the object it and got it approved in the last 3 years).

It has now been over a week and the accepted nominations/portals are still not counting towards "Portals discovered" statistic in Ingress.

@NianticCasey-ING @NianticTintino could you comment if this bug has been acknowledged?

In short: all accepted wayspots that are synced to Ingress portals from Lightship are not counted towards "Portals created" statistic in Ingress. Not a single one of them, not for anyone. This includes portals that have been approved by Niantic (during the Lightship era) and moreover all the wayspots accepted as portals after 9th or 10th November (that is when portals did not get added immediately to Ingress anymore but started being synced from Lightship).

Also just found out an interesting piece of additional statistical information. All those grey portals are new wayspots discovered by me recently. They show up in intel map as "visited", but my Explorer badge (unique portals visited) statistics has NOT been updated. Also, as written before, those have not been added to my "Portals discovered" statistics.

So intel map knows that those are discovered by me and it marks those as visited (as it should) but for some reason these stats never actualize to in app statistics. What is going on with this?

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,425 Ambassador

I can add my myself to this bug.🙄

it went through as an upgrade, so was able to check stats before upgrade was applied.

Checked before and after sync and no sign of AP or a credit on portal discovered. I have a key.

I’m really fed up that I haven’t received the portal discovered acknowledgment for those caught up in the review by staff and now this.

is there any point in submitting/reviewing if the system is broken with no acknowledgment and therefore sign of a fix

@ForzaComo-ING interesting observation. I haven't been tracking my explorer stat, but I noticed that some of the 5 portals that I got no discovered credit for are marked as visited on Intel, and some are not. This one was approved a couple weeks ago and took a while to appear in game, I received the key eventually but has no purple circle

Just read from the Ingress community forums (https://community.ingress.com/en/discussion/17135/portals-discovered-stat-is-not-updated) that the "Unique portals visited" layer in scanner also shows discovered portals as visited (like intel maps does, or should do), but the stat is not updated nevertheless.

At the time of writing this, I have 30 portals discovered that have not been added to Discovered portals or Unique visits statistics. I hope this bug gets some attention from Niantic soon...

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am having this same issue. 6 accepted PoI since the update and I will get an email, then up to 24 hours later a key. But no AP and no stat bump.

• komanchy-INGkomanchy-ING Posts: 3 ✭✭

Same here with me. After the email it usualy takes 24 hours to get the key in ingress. Then another day or even more for the portal to become visible in pogo. But the counter of discovered portals remains the same. I dont care about AP but the counter increse is my goal that i pursue.. so please get it fixed.

This was pointed out in the ingress bug thread and I can confirm.

Although no increase in the all time number of portals discovered, the month tab does record in my instance 2 portals discovered.

So the problem is seriously weird.

...and also questioned later in the same thread as it does not show up like that for everyone.

Which just shows how inconsistent/buggy it is

• iHellrai5er-PGOiHellrai5er-PGO Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

Oh that’s also a bug? I was also wondering why all the grey portals which are new are showing as visited but I didn’t notice my explorer count until you pointed out.

Well intel showing them correctly is not a bug. That's just a hint to locate the bug. If portals "know" you have visited them, but the scanner stat does not, it should make it easier for Niantic to located the buggy piece of code.

I do not believe in the bug being inconsistent, but a human error in understanding the monthly portals discovered stat. Still have not found a solid proof about those actually showing up for some and not for most.

There are at lest four different things happening here, each acts a little differently and I believe that this is the cause of any apparent inconsistencies, but so far I've noticed that the behavior of each "path" is consistent:

• Some POI were reviewed by users during the lightship transition (the last few months up until November) and were accepted, but due to a backend bug never made it into one or more games. Approval emails were generated at the time but no keys/AP/portal appeared in Ingress even if they were of sufficient distance (>20m) from other POI. In the last few weeks these have finally appeared in Ingress, but I don't know if that happened due to manual intervention or if it was automated.
    • Niantic staff manually reviews some submissions. These are typically approved or denied very quickly after submission. We know this because a rejection generates an email message that specifically says Niantic Review Decision.
    • There are a few very old nominations that have been stuck in queue for months to years, they cannot be upgraded or (in some cases) withdrawn. Mine were approved slowly over a few days, so I suspect this was done manually, but never generated an email... they just appeared in game and I got keys.
    • Finally, there are the user reviewed (and approved) POI that sync to the games on schedule. Before lightship they appeared in Ingress instantly and synced to the other games periodically, but the new daily sync into Ingress doesn't increment the discovered stat.

Each of the above cases always gives me a key, but never rewards the AP or Portals Discovered count. I've not been paying close enough attention to see which cases also count for Explorer, but some do and some don't.

• iHellrai5er-PGOiHellrai5er-PGO Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

No, what I meant is, the places which I submitted but haven’t visited yet are showing in intel as “Visited”. I don’t keep track of explorer count, but if visited is what counts towards it, then that count could also be wrong.

Also this portal discovered count got messed up a while ago. How there is another bug of submission, when I am trying to submit remotely the location isn’t changing, even if I drag it,it’s going to my current location. The place am trying to submit isn’t even more than 1-2 KM.

There's a bit of confusion in the way this information is presented in your Ingress profile. The profile text calls it "Unique Portals Visited" and that number should (in theory) reflect the number of portals that have the purple ring in Intel. Some of us call it Explorer since that's the name of the badge for that stat, but the text associated with the badge says "visit and hack unique portals." However, at some point there was a change such that you no longer have to actually hack the portal to increment this count... capturing, or deploying a resonator also counts as a "visit" for purposes of the explorer badge, as does discovering the portal. I'm not sure if uploading a scan counts, though, or deploying a mod.

Before the change, if you were in a new area looking for uniques to increase both pioneer and explorer simultaneously, you had to both capture it while neutral (for pioneer) and then hack (for explorer). These days, one simply has to capture the portal to increase both stats.

• TAMRanger-INGTAMRanger-ING Posts: 16 ✭✭

@NianticDanbocat

"Firstly, we haven’t forgotten about Ingress! "

Haven't forgotten, but between the Wayfarer and Ingress teams have broken the acknowledgement of "Portals Discovered" in Ingress player stats.

The proposed changes sound great but please address this issue as a priority in conjunction with the new features.

• SleepyzzCat-INGSleepyzzCat-ING Posts: 37 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

I have the same issue.

Wayspot accepted local time 31 Dec 2021. Live in Ingress and PoGo local time 1 Jan, 2022.

Got portal key. (Don't know about AP as I don't keep track of AP).

No +1 to Portals Discovered

No +1 to Explorer badge (Unique Portals Visited)

Yet, it showed up on Intel/scanner with purple ring.

I went and captured the portal before getting a +1 to Explorer badge (Unique Portals Visited). I didn't try to hack first to see if it counts.

Still no +1 to Portals Discovered.

There has been a partial fix it seems.

Both the portals discovered and portals visited stats are now being updated when a portal goes live.

However no AP is given of the new portals and the fix was not retroactive so a lot of portals since that have not been taken into account.

• thundercracker1-INGthundercracker1-ING Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

So congrats on the fix Niantic-Ingress team, any chance you can investigate the missing credits pls

• Hikaru588-INGHikaru588-ING Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

NianticThia mentioned over on the Ingress community forums that the missing credit backlog wil take time to process

• Hello Explorers,

As some of you may know, this is not a fix the Wayfarer team can do. We have sent it to the appropriate team and they are working on it.

Safe Exploring!