2021-11-13

Rejection Criteria

Other Rejection Criteria

Low Quality Photo

Description

A place to gather and exercise through dance

33443 Harper Ave, Clinton Twp, MI 48035, USA

Supplemental Information

according to latest nomination criteria this fits 2 categories. a gathering place and place that promotes/encourages exercise. Dance is a great form of exercise.

Comments

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like what?

I would think any local gym, or dance studio that isn't a main chain fits. And the November eligibility refresh is defintely more current than the rejection criterial.

It's not like there's a dance studio on every corner. Heck when I search google maps theres more baseball fields that come up than dance studios.

So what is it your looking for?

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

Like to prove it's active and had an importance in the community.

Do they do show sometimes ? Do they host competitions or participate in the community life in a form or another? Do they welcome events or participate to events?

And like stated by some reviewers, you put low efforts on your primary picture, focus on the sign or the shop itself. What we can see here is a business with a parking between two other businesses.

You put low efforts in your description and supplementary infos. Just repeating the criteria is not useful. Explain what is this place and why your nomination worth to be a POI.

Okay, I see where your coming from.... I disagree but I see it...

With the criteria rewrite, I didn't think I had to try and convince people it was "Important to community" or "Unique". That is an out of date standard, now that a "Place to Exercise" is a standard all by itself.

I spent about the same amount of effort on nomination than I would a basketball court, baseball field, a trail marker. None of which I try and prove is important or unique. Because it's not being nominated under the old rules or under the place to explore standard.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strongly disagree. A quick Google search told me that this studio does not belong to a chain, it's a single-location business. It is, therefore, locally unique: this is the only Great Lakes Dance Centre. If this is generic, every business in existence is generic.

It also, very clearly, fulfills the criteria for being a gathering place and a place for excercise.

edited November 2021

I think just a best picture can do the job. The other things are just to be sure you don't waste another nomination.

Keep in mind what you are thinking when you are a reviewer.

When you saw a basketball court or a baseball field, you saw an open place to exercise. But when you saw a picture of a business, some people can think your trying to promote your own business or a nearby shop in your mall.

So yes, some can make a difference, as a field is clearly open for exercise to everyone. But a business is a shop. Can be a good place, but have to be more than a simple shop.

Post edited by VladDraco-PGO on

Thanks for replies they made me see how different reviewers are understanding the criteria differently than me. Is a Dance studio more like a Baseball Field A or Trail Marker 7 or a is a Dance Studio more like Restaurant. I started https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/25864/exercise-related-businesses-need-a-niantic-criteria-clarification#latest

for Niantic to clear the criteria up.

Without a clarification, either I have to resubmit and hope to get lucky and more reviewers who think places to exercise are inherently eligible under the criteria OR see if like a restuarant I can find additional information that points out its special and non-generic OR drop it.

Anyway, thanks for replies. Good to know.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe mention what types of classes are offered, if they do any competitions or host competitions in the community. Obviously not a generic business and does fit the criteria. Some people just love to hate the exercise criteria it seems

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that dance studio's web site says it mostly caters to children - that's a likely rejection for K-12.

Also, a dance studio requires signing up for a season of lessons. The general public can't just meet there. A bowling alley or skating rink is a better waypoint, because anyone can walk in, on any random day, and pay for one hour (or whatever).

Your nomination just screams "NEED POKESTOP AT THIS SPOT." I don't think you hang out at this dance studio, or care about it. It looks like you would have nominated that location no matter what was there. The dance studio just happened to be the thing sitting at a place you want a wayspot.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

I never use a Post Office, so by your standards, if I nominate any Post Office I just want "moar Pokéstops". Yet nobody disputes that a Post Office meets the criteria, correct? Lots of things I get accepted I don't "hang out at" or really "care about", especially if it's not in my local playing area.

People should not be limiting themselves to nominating things which "they care about". That's not what the criteria say. You appear to have arrived at the conclusion that this user only wants "moar pokéstops" and are trying to work your way back from that conclusion. I believe @Cowyn2016-PGO nominated the above dance studio with the best of intentions.

A theater or sports arena requires buying tickets to enter because "general public can't just meet there". Are you going to suggest a a theater or sports arena is not valid either? That's what we are to logically conclude based on your statements.

Just because you have to sign up for lessons or a season doesnt make something or somewhere a bad nomination. Many golf courses even private courses are eligible wayspots. Even things in closed communities are valid, should we all of a sudden discount those because you need money to enter? The people who do go to the dance studio will end up socializing sith each other. So it is a spot for socializing. Dance is exercise so thats 2 points. Op just needs to do a more thorough job at describing the place and explaining how it meets criteria and fulfills the requirements.

• AScarletSabre-PGOAScarletSabre-PGO Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah a golf club was a better example. To be honest, most theaters provide acting lessons too, but that does not make the theater ineligible. I guarantee, if the above nomination was a Church or a playground there would not be this ridiculous mental gymnastics in order to find reasons to reject it - people just don't like to admit that dance studios meet the criteria laid out by Niantic.

In fact, in addition to what you said, I'd argue a dance studio could meet all three criteria laid out by Niantic. In addition to being a great place to be sociable and to exercise, learning about new dance styles teaches people about different cultures and would arguably satisfy the exploration criteria too, therefore. Of course, there are people who just want to focus on one style of dance, but if one is to be a professional ballroom dancer, they must master them all!

Unfortunately thinking outside the small box is hard for people. Many dance studios will have a hard time getting through. Ive tried to get local gyms to be accepted with absolutely no luck. These gyms are not generic or chains but yet somehow it doesnt meet criteria and people will loterally argue to the end that a gym; that literally is meant for people to exercise in; does not meet criteria somehow. It has me dumb founded. But i guess rhats why so little people us the nomination/wayfaire sites because of such mindsets of black and white criteria applications

I'll readily admit I didn't do a super detailed submission.

However, when I look at the criteria and other wayspots, I didn't think I needed to "Convince" people. Places of Exercise are a very cut and dry criteria. Basketball Courts, Baseball Fields sail through nomination without anything more than the generic picture, title, and maybe a 1 sentence description. Heck, sometimes I'll see them titled "Baseball Field A, Baseball Field B, Baseball Field C, Baseball Field D. (Local park has 4 fields, all 4 are stops/gyms literally labbled Field A,

Likewise, bowling alleys, skating rinks, sail through. When I see a bowling alley, I guarantee you every bowling alley I pass by is a Pokestop (or gym) with literally a 1 sentence description and plain photo. No different than the Dance Studio I submitted.

When I see a place to exercise, and that is one of the core 3 criteria, and nominate it.... It's either Yes or No. It's not a question "Need More Stops" I don't go to the dance studio.... but I don't play basketball at this court either. Here's 2 other nominations I did on the same day.

Kyte Monroe Park basketball courts

St. Clair Shores MI

DUPLICATE

2021-10-31

Description

pair of popular basketball courts at kyte monroe Park

Harper + Masonic NE, St Clair Shores, MI 48082, USA

Supplemental Information

2 very popular basketball courts

Now if that wasn't a duplicate.... would you be accusing me of "Just want more stops?" Would that not be approved?

I do more detailed reviews when I am trying to nominate under the Explore or Gather Criteria. Because those take explaining. Usually places of exercise, don't require the same.

Deep Sea Mural

Clinton Township MI

ACCEPTED

2021-11-13

Description

wall painting about a diver about to have a really bad day meeting a shark head on

34740 S Gratiot Ave, Clinton Twp, MI 48035, USA

Supplemental Information

cool painted wall that stands out. Also great humor that fits a scuba store

---------------

My point..... people are judging some exercise related nominations (Gyms, Dojos, and Dance Studios) by harsher standard then they do others (Baseball fields, Nature Trails) or even other exercise related businesses (Bowling Alleys, Skating Rinks)

One of your two rejection reason was Low quality photo. Have you retried with a better picture ?

And better description and supplementary infos.

You copy/past a generic description and supplementary infos, said yourself you put low efforts, but here you can do 10 posts three feets longs.

Maybe you can try doing the opposite? ^^

Actually, a friend did try the dance studio with a closer photo of just the Signage/wods (Close up Great Lakes Dance Studio) and was rejected too. So I took a farther picture to get the whole studio picture.

I can next time I do a nominating run put in more effort, but really don't know what more information it takes. How do you put more effort into showing people "Exercise" at a Dance Studio, Gym, or Dojo. You can't exactly have pictures of people dancing ... So enlighten me... what more explanation does it take then "A place to dance and exercise"... you either believe dance is exercise and therefor eligible.... or you dont. If your reviewing and rejecting because a "Dance studio" isn't "Special" or "Worth Exploring" why dont reviewers reject other exercise related nominations the same way.

Try this out as a comparison of an accepted waypoint from a friend.

Title: Great Lakes Dance Studio ---- vs ---- Kyte Memorial Field D

Description: A place to gather and exercise through dance --- VS --- Kyte Monroe Memorial Park baseball field D

Supporting Info: according to latest nomination criteria this fits 2 categories. a gathering place and place that promotes/encourages exercise. Dance is a great form of exercise. ---- VS ----- One of the baseball fields at Kyte Monroe memorial park. Hosts many baseball leagues

When I'm nominating something under the "Explore" or even "Gather" criteria I try to convince readers. Why what I see is cool and worth it. I'm legitimately asking you when a nomination is under the "Exercise" criteria like a baseball field or dance studio what more do you need to be convinced?

I might try again, maybe a different photo, maybe different details, but I'm currently just waiting to see if Niantic clarifies their "Explore" criteria. As for your question why not put in more effort on nomination when I can reply here.... Difference is this post can be done from home watching TV or at work on break as a time killer. Nominating for me is maybe a once a month special trip because my phone crashes when sometimes when I nominate and I can't use plus while I nominate ever. So I have to be in the mood and put in effort to make a special nomination run rather than just killing time like this post

• frithie-PGOfrithie-PGO Posts: 16 ✭✭

Some of my nervousness with submissions like this is that I worry they might not be well established and thus might shut down. So including some evidence that it’s been operating for some time is worthwhile too I think.

If it shuts down... someone can always report it for removal.

I started playing POGO in 2016. From the start there was 1 gym I could see from my house. It was a skating rink. The sign was the POI. It must have been accepted via ingriss pre-pogo. The skating rink closed down in 2019 and a lot of remodeling work was done on building/parking lot. In 2020 it was replaced with a furniture manufacturing company. It was reported and removed pretty much as soon as the new sign went up and people could tell it wasnt being rebuilt.

Anything can shut down. doesnt mean dont approve it, it means report it for removal if it does

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is NOT what Giffard said. He said dance studios should be considered eligible. He did not address this nomination specifically, such as the fact that this was also rejected for low quality photo.

You're correct.... that's possible but unlikely in a scoring system.. Of all the people who rated low and hit "Other rejection criteria" were taken out of the mix, it would have likely passed.

What is it about the photo you'd recommend improving? It's not blurry. It shows the whole studio. I could zoom in on just the sign, but then I'd miss that it's big enough a place to have 2 doors. And like I said one of the people in my discord tried that too... and it was rejected.

Meaning, while the rejection email says "Low Quality Photo" I strongly suspect the real reason was Reviewer Bias and not thinking Dance Studios were eligible. Especially since I know the place was rejected with a sign-only photo as well.

Portrait orientation, straight, square, centered, flat horizon. More like this, but from straight on. In my experience, even a fairly small angle can result in an image quality rejection.

Images of the inside of a dance studio can be pretty compelling if you can get close enough or in the front door. Remember to be aware of your shadow and - particularly since you’re dealing with windows - your reflection.

Trying the logo of the little person in the letter D might work as well. Here’s one I did of the sign at a local game store that was approved

The best approach is to try several different pictures, experiment with cropping them to different effect, and see what tells the story of the location the best. I suspect that if you resubmit casually, it will still be rejected irrespective of Giffard’s take in the other thread, so if you really want it approved you really want to get your images and text as on-point as you can get them.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he said was:

NianticGiffard Posts: 7,425Niantic › admin 12:35PM

Interesting topic there, @Kaladin4Kholin-PGO.

Please note that locations that promote exercise can be considered eligible Wayspot.

Something that is eligible is not the same as "something that should be automatically approved".

edited December 2021

@sogNinjaman-ING

Like I said in the criteria clarification:

Actually you just said "Water is wet".

By automatic acceptance .... UNLESS it falls under a specific rejection criteria.

A big playground --- auto accepted --- UNLESS it;s on private property

A baseball field --- auto accepted --- UNLESS it's on K-12 school

A church ---- auto accepted --- UNLESS it has a person posing in front of to be in the picture.

All acceptance criteria fall under the EXCEPT if it falls under one of the specific rejection reasons that override.

I don't know if English is your natural language so I apologize if it isnt. But your post makes it sound like you would still reject dance studios unless they reach some imaginary threshhold for you. It's a given if a spot hits an auto-reject reason, reject it. If someone puts a dance studio in thier house ... then no its still no... Private Property.... BUT if it's a normal business.... it can't get more clear than Niantic said Exercise is criteria and things like that promote exercise are eligible.

Post edited by Cowyn2016-PGO on
  • Rchan11-PGORchan11-PGO Posts: 20 ✭✭

I would agree that the community is harsher on judgement for a wayspot criteria for things like gyms, dance studios, and dojos. The community does approve things like athletic fields, murals, and sculptures very quickly without much rejection.

Other Rejection Criteria - I think this may have been because it could be thought of as a dance studio for children so it would be like a K-12 rejection criteria but that category doesn't exist so they have to choose "Other Rejection Criteria" also because it looked like a generic chain (but obviously it was not in this case). Reviewers generally do not spend to much time reading or reviewing the photos. The surrounding photo area may have included generic chains thus may have made the reviewer think that the dance studio is also a chain. For the Description, I'd add a bit more like why it is unique. Something like it hosts the community's annual dance competition or why people gather there and it's unique to the community.

Low Quality Photo - I'd crop the photo to ensure just the dance studio is visible.

I believe the community is harder on gyms, dojos, etc than athletic fields because of two reasons:

1. Private business vs public facilities
    2. an implied understanding of the difference between workout exercise and recreational exercise, though it has never been parsed by Niantic.

Going to the community park to play basketball with my stepson or push my daughter on the swing just isn’t anything like going to a gym to lift weights and work the stair machine. The voters know this and react accordingly.

They do any shouldnt anymore. We now have a clarification. Anything else is hogwash