Seeking Clarification on 2 things.

Hi all thanks for clicking.

I'll keep it short and sweet, recently my wayfarer rating has dropped. I believe the reason why is the following.

When a nomination can't be seen from Google earth, most reviewers I assume are putting a 1 star for "Should this be a wayspot" then selecting mismatched location, which maybe incorrect but that's just what people do. What I've been doing is marking it as normal until the final selection confirming location and selecting 1 star for if I believe the location is confirmed. Which is the correct thing to do please?

Second question, are orienteering markers acceptable under the current criterea? I understand trail markers are acceptable and I feel orienteering markers require a skill and is often completed as a set of markers. So I'd just like confirmation that they are an acceptable nomination.

Many thanks - Shottix

Comments

• LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador

1) Give the location 3 stars if it is likely to exist there but not visible on Maps.

No need for unnecessary rejections.

2) trailmarkers are eligible. If the orienteering markers support outdoor activities, they are eligible as a great place for exercise.

• ElseSense-PGOElseSense-PGO Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited December 2021

1-If you're 100% sure the location is correct, you don't need to see the object to give 5*.

This is why the additional photo is really important. It is useful to compare the surroundings and near objects.

Post edited by ElseSense-PGO on
  • HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a nomination can't be seen from Google earth, most reviewers I assume are putting a 1 star for "Should this be a wayspot" then selecting mismatched location, which maybe incorrect but that's just what people do. What I've been doing is marking it as normal until the final selection confirming location and selecting 1 star for if I believe the location is confirmed. Which is the correct thing to do please?

Both work. The first one returns the "mismatched location" rejection reason and the second one returns the "not.found" rejection reason that looks like it's typed in code rather than in actual words.

That being said, you may be disagreeing with other reviewers here. If there's reason to assume that the object can exist at the location, reviewers will often 3* it rather than immediately going for 1*. This might not necessarily be obvious from the information on your screen within Wayfarer itself, but to give an example, if a trail marker is in a wooded area and no photosphere is provided, you can Google the trail (if the submitter hasn't provided a link in the supporting info) and see if a map exists for the trail, and then compare that with the area that the trail marker is submitted in. If it appears to be on or relatively close to the trail route, then that's reasonable grounds to mark it as 3*, as it is feasible that the marker exists at that location. You should always check everything available to you when judging whether a nomination can or cannot exist at a location if you can't see it on satellite or street view.

Second question, are orienteering markers acceptable under the current criterea? I understand trail markers are acceptable and I feel orienteering markers require a skill and is often completed as a set of markers. So I'd just like confirmation that they are an acceptable nomination.

Whilst orienteering is a form of exercise, most people I know would reject orienteering markers (except for maybe ones that denote the beginning of a course). The reason for this is that it pretty much defeats the whole point of orienteering if you can open up a Niantic game and instantly find the next location that you're meant to be looking for. I know other people will have different views on this particular subject though.

• grendelwulf-INGgrendelwulf-ING Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

The whole point of orienteering markers is to find them using only compass skills. I'd say the start of the course should be eligible but anything more than that goes against the spirit of orienteering.

edited December 2021

Post edited by ElseSense-PGO on
  • WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP is asking about orienteering markers, not trail markers. He knows that trail markers are acceptable.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

There's a distinct difference between a trail marker and an orienteering marker though. Trail markers are used to denote walking trails, which can be used by anyone who fancies going on a walk somewhere.

Orienteering markers are used by people doing orienteering, which is a sporting activity that tests navigational skills as well as physical fitness and speed over varied and unfamiliar terrain. The fact that navigational skill is involved in orienteering is why people think they don't make good wayspots, as having them as wayspots effectively facilitates cheating at the sport and defeats the purpose of actually participating in it.

I have never heard about orienteering markers, so that is why I confused them, thanks for the explanation. I still see them similar when we are talking about criteria. They could be part of the experience, as a reward for finding the correct spot, and some people might as well discover them thanks to the POI in the game.

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

When I was younger I was into orienteering, and I even set up one semi-permanent course.

My strong recommendation for permanent courses is that the first marker would be an acceptable wayspot. That location is published as the start point and it definitely facilitates recreation and outdoor exploration. Other markers on the course should not be wayspots, IMO. As @HankWolfman-PGO said, the sport of orienteering is about using a map and compass to navigate the terrain. Permanent orienteering courses are usually used for practice/recreation rather than hardcore competition but turning the destination markers into wayspots would be detrimental to the sport.

Think of it as playing hide-and-go-seek, but having easy GPS navigation to the hiding places.

Post edited by Hosette-ING on
  • MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

@HankWolfman-PGO If a nomination is Not Accepted, that is an Agreement for everyone who gave 1*. So, if you give the nomination 1* overall for mismatched location, and I give it a better overall score but 1* for location, and the nomination is Not Accepted - you and I will both get an agreement. (And the nominator will get a more useful email.)

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MargariteDVille-ING Why do you think giving a submission 1* for location accuracy while otherwise rating it more highly adds up to a rejection? If you rated the whole thing 5* but 1* for location accuracy do you think, that counts as an approval or a rejection?