What are the real criteria for sidewalks?

So I got an indication rejected because "it was PRP". The indication was an unique piece of street art, shaped in the form a wishing well, with flowers inside, like a mini garden. It's in the sidewalk, and the sidewalks are very well delimited over here. You can clearly tell where the propriety ends and where the sidewalk starts because of the way the houses are building over here. So if the sidewalk is PRP, why there are other wayspots near the same place?

There's a small church 200m (650ft) away from the place I indicated, and it's exactly the same sidewalk. I know churches are easy to be accepted, but if the sidewalk is PRP, that means you have to go through the "neighboring properties" to access the church, right?. I'm not comparing a church with a small street art, but if the whole issue is about transpassing, 70% of the wayspots in my city will be removed, because you need to walk through the sidewalk in residential areas. But if walking through the sidewalk to access a wayspot is allowed, why can't some unique art that is in the sidewalk be approved?

To make it clear, I got this example from Google. The Brooklyn Christian Congregation. This is a pokéstop:

Most of houses over here are like that, near each other, sidewalk and street very well delimited. And the church I was talking about is also like that. Just a normal building, nothing historic or unique.

So to access the Brooklyn Christian Congregation wayspot you need to walk through the sidewalk, in front of residences. Sidewalks can't be both allowed and not allowed, and they can't be allowed only in one spot of the street. And apparently there are hundreds and hundreds of wayspots exactly like that. Sadly I can't check other examples over there, but I'm sure there are some street art over there that was approved.

You may say "but you need to stop in front of the Brooklyn Christian Congregation to access the wayspot, so you don't stop in front of the residences". We all know that players don't need to do that. Some people will stop near the wayspot. Some people will stop in the other side of the street, in front of other residences. They stop all over the place and probably only 20% will stop in front of the "Brooklyn Christian Congregation" doors.

Here's one example of the "churches" over here:

The facade is 6m (20ft) long. There are a a lot of waysposts like that over here. And I can see there are waysposts like that all over the world. So who said that I can't stand in front of that red house to access the pokéstop? Even better, when they're open, people will for sure not stand in front of the church because that will be awkward. Well those places open like twice a week, and there are usually like 15 people inside.

I just think that makes no sense, places boring like that, be allowed, and some unique street art be rejected because it's in the sidewalk.

Now before you say anything, yes, I'm aware that it may be annoying to see people stopping 3m (10ft) away your window for 10 seconds, even if the sidewalk is public space, and "legally" you can say people will only stop in front of the church. But still, like I said before, technically it will still make people stop in front of other houses for 10 seconds, both over here and over and over the Brooklyn Christian Congregation. So basically those churches (plus any other situation where you have a wayspot between houses) and the art in the sideway are the same, since there's no way to stop players from staying in front of the houses.

I'm really annoyed that half of pokéstops near mey house are like that. I want more places with sport and art over here, but those keep getting rejected due random criteria. Guess I'll have to open a church with some art and outdoor gym in the front, so this way it will be accepted. And trust me, making churches like that over here are very easy. And you don't even need to pay taxes.

Anyway I'll keep looking for interesting places with art and sports nearby. And you can discuss about the sidewalk ambiguous criteria over here.

Thanks!

Comments

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

More info if you want a better reply. Like maybe your rejected submission to see what you are talking about sidewalk wise

Post edited by Basslord808-ING on
  • AhaMcCoy-PGOAhaMcCoy-PGO Posts: 27 ✭✭

Read the post. I'm talking about criteria. I'm not talking about the wayspot I suggested. If I wanted to talk about the rejection, I would post my suggestion here. So if you truly read the post, you would know that I was asking what people think about that criteria. I want to know what other people think about that.

But I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling tho.

Like I said to the troll, I'm not talking specifically about my rejected submission. I'm talking about the sidewalk issue. That's why I posted it here, in "CRITERIA CLARIFICATIONS" and not somewhere else. If any of you truly read the post, you would see that the "sidewalk" submissions may be ambiguous.

But we all know that reviewers just give one star to anything because it's faster than review the submission. Like an example I was reading in a discussion over here, apparently people give one star "Pedestrian Access" to a grass sidewalk, because it's faster, while they should actually use the stars in the "Safe Access" section. Mark as "Pedestrian Access" means that there's no way the player will access the wayspot, like for example some roundabouts. Some roundabouts are not supposed to be used by pedestrian, and some are. And even if the roundabout is accessible, the reviewer needs to analyse if that's safe to cross the street while holding a phone.

One more time, discussion about criteria, not a submission. I want to know other people's opinion about that.

• mellycakes89-PGOmellycakes89-PGO Posts: 66 ✭✭

As I don't live in that area, it's hard for me to tell if it would be suitable. If there is a clear divide between the footpath and private property, and the point of interest is outside of the private property, I would be more inclined to vote towards having the submission accepted. It would need to be something of interest though - if it was just a basic flowerbed, probably not. But the nomination you described sounds like something I would vote positively for.

Do you have any photos of your submission for us to see? I'd love to give some feedback if you're okay with that.

Thanks for the feedback.

You see, the post is about the whole sidewalk issue. This submission and a lot of others I read over here were marked ineligible due being "Private Residence or Farm". If the submission receive a lot of one star in "Visually Unique", it's denied for other reason. But like I said I wanna talk about the criteria.

For example, some people said that while playing Ingress you need to be as close as possible from the portal. So you can't just be on the other side of the street. But that only makes things worse sometimes, once the portals are not placed 100% correctly. Using the "church" as an example, my GPS shows that wayspot in the middle of the street, in front of the red house. That probably happens in the "Brooklyn Christian Congregation", since GPS are not that precise.

So what to do? Remove every single wayspot in a situation like this due "Private Residence or Farm"? If so, we're gonna lose at least 70% of our pokéstops over here, since houses are always close each other in my city.

• RNSaga-PGORNSaga-PGO Posts: 33 ✭✭

It sounds like those mini libraries that are on side walks. Some accept them cos they stand out. As for this one I'd probably have to see a picture to appreciate how it stands out.

Yeah, some of them as small and simple like this:

Some are big and cool like this:

And some are technically inside of someone's propriety (you can tell because of the fence), like this one:

For the small ones, they could be rejected for getting too many one stars on "Visually Unique", if they're way too simple.

The mini libraries inside of someone's propriety are kinda tricky, because technically they should be 100% sure rejected due "Private Residence or Farm", but it's obvious that the owner of that propriety wants people to go there and grab/deposit a book. So should we follow the rejection criteria literally? Even if it's clear that the owner of the private residence is basically inviting people to go there? I know most of reviewers just don't care and they wanna "speedrun". But situations like that at least make me think.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes - you should follow the rejection criteria for PRP literally. If it is inside the grounds of a PRP OR attached to the boundary fence of the PRP in any way, even if it is "safely accessible and visible from the pavement", then it should be rejected as being on PRP. No debate needed, Niantic have stated this is the case.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mini libraries inside of someone's propriety are kinda tricky, because technically they should be 100% sure rejected due "Private Residence or Farm", but it's obvious that the owner of that propriety wants people to go there and grab/deposit a book. So should we follow the rejection criteria literally? Even if it's clear that the owner of the private residence is basically inviting people to go there? I know most of reviewers just don't care and they wanna "speedrun". But situations like that at least make me think.

@NianticGiffard just recently answered this. If they are on private residential property, they are to be rejected. It doesn't matter whether you think the property owner wants people to stop by or not.

Yeah I thought so about the libraries that are inside of the proprieties. But what about those that are over the sidewalk, out of the PRP and not attached to the fence? Those should not be rejected due PRP right?

And still talking about the sidewalk/PRP issue, I just rejected this cool 2 headed dragon iron sculpture:

Because I could easily tell where's the sidewalk ends and where the propriety starts.

But now my question is: if the statue was really well attached to the pillar, and they were where the "10" sign is, should it be rejected or not?