Standardization of waypoints between pokemon go and ingress.

I believe that changing the ingress and pokemon go wayspots to be the same would benefit the wayfarer reviewer community as A LOT of edits, and even wayspot requests are done in a way that they are purposely placed in the wrong places to appear in both games. If both games have the same wayspots, it will greatly reduce editing requests.

Tagged:
10 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Follow-up:

Had the Wayfarer/Niantic team considered how spacing & inclusion decisions might affect and maybe even encourage abuse of the game board? Strategic location edits and placement strategy has existed since the beginning of OPR (not always abusive).

Does the abuse team consider its own contributions to unclear and unspoken abuse definitions? Is this ever considered with game development and feedback?

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wouldn't be implemented to only 4 spins every 4 hours, because ingress has glyph hacking to get lots more items, mods to increase the amount of hacks and differing levels of portals that will give differing gear. They might set a limit still if they did have all stops, but it won't be as low as 4 an hour, more likely it would be 15 spins in 4 hours, which if everything was in game, would be more than enough.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, Ingress has multi-hacks that increase the number of hacks, and heat sinks that reduce the time interval between hacks, but these don't have a significant effect on getting people to stay.

Currently, it takes about 24 minutes to stay there, and after 16 hacks, it's cooldown time.

If you install VRHS, you're done for 16 minutes.

And the glyph hack is like the recently announced power-up in Pokémon GO.

It gives you items, but has almost nothing to do with promoting stagnation.

Most of the problems that occur in Pokémon GO are caused by player retention.

I think it's a bad idea to steer the game in a direction that will further promote that retention.

Well, this has nothing to do with Wayfarer, so I'll leave it at that.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not saying all the portals should appear, I'm just pointing out jts not the same thing. There is also other things to consider, such as

1. Ingress players can drop items for others, yes pogo has gifts, but those are rng

2. Ingress has quantum capsules, yes they don't do a lot, but stick busters into 5 and you're sorted

3. Admittedly this is new, but ingress has the drone.

And probably more important, the item usage in ingress is usually a lot lower than pokemon go, because in pokemon, you van fail to catch the pokemon, while in ingress you can't fail to put a reso on

I do think niantic should come up with something for the unused pois, like a honey tree that attracts rarer pokemon for the user who puts honey on it, or (though I personally hate this one) Berry bushes. That way people won't be annoyed that ingress gets more portals

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,121 Ambassador

The two games are different in the approach and gameplay. So a no from me.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

Perhaps these missing Waypoints will show up as postcards in the new postcard feature being teased, just how Pikmin has postcards for invisible waypoints.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

"xxx sent you a gift from a Waypoint you can't actuall access"? 🤣

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even with multi-hacks, you will only ever manage to get 12 hacks, and even then you occupy half of the available mod slots on the portal. And mutli-hacks are useless to other players beyond reducing the time between the four hack attempts, but doesn't impact the 4 hour cooldown at all.

But I'm going to interprete the disagrees to my comment above as people really not actually wanting parity between Ingress and Pokemon GO. They simply want all of the advantages without any of the disadvantages that goes with it.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

you mean heat sinks here not multi hacks but that doesn't change the point you're making.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador
  • Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh. Your comment was the classic "if you want to benefit of all the Waypoints you must have all the Ingress restrictions" without (purposefully) mentioning the mechanisms that make the Ingress resource gathering more efficient. Granted, there was also a more original (and baseless) "oh, and no spawns either" claim.

OP is sort of correct. The inefficient and crude way to use the Waypoints causes friction between Niantic and it's biggest player base. And as a a side effect this also creates friction between the original portal network builders and the current Pokestop nominators.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

PoGO - "Platinum" Wayfarer Badge - 1,500 accepted reviews.

Ingress - "Onyx" Wayfinder Badge - 10,000 accepted reviews.

Next....

• GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

You jest, but a battleship can be a monopoly game piece depending on the version you own.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Transparency would help a little, but the underlying problem would remain. S2 L17 cell restriction is a crude and unfair way to draw the gameboard. It could and should be tuned for better.

And for the record, I'm not OP, I don't except a full inclusion of Waypoints.

• Jtronmoore-PGOJtronmoore-PGO Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbh if pokemon go had the same amount of portals as ingress does I believe some areas would honestly almost be un playable. When the spawns kick in if theres a lot of stops/gyms around those spawns it makes it a lot harder just to select each pokemon. So I can definitely see that becoming a problem if this was to ever happen.

It may be a solution in possibly some rural areas with very limited pokestops/gyms to help playability but in bigger cities/towns it will definitely pose a big problem with it just being polluted with crazy amounts of pokestops/gyms.

Tbh I always dislike all the canned responses from the same people when people are trying to make suggestions on how to improve certain aspects of the game and there response is to always take away other features if pokemon was to get more stops. Its honestly annoying and never needed in the discussion.

This discussion has been closed.