Change "Cultural or Historical Significance" Category to "Community Significance"

This category causes problems as a lot of eligible POI get low scores, which may contribute to a decline.

Changing it to "Community Significance", is inclusive of historical and cultural aspects, and allows a broader scope. Those pesky playgrounds, which are significant to families within the community, neighbourhood centres, which offer a wide variety of anything and everything to help a community grow, bushcare and cleanup groups, who are active community participants, community gardens, a local politicians plaque which means little outside the community, but was well known for "antics" within...the list goes on.

"Community Significance" will also reduce the need for resubmissions (pesky playgrounds 😁), allow for reviewers not familiar with the local community some leeway, and allow a more accurate star reflection when voting.

K I S S

28 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woah, a K I S S! Never seen that on the forums before. Unless **** is censored, then that makes sense.

I like the idea because "cultural/historical significance" is quite nuanced and is very open to interpretation, but my concern is that even Community Significance is just as open, if not, even greater to being interpreted wildly. The questions rather, should be focusing on the S.E.E. (social, exercise, explore) aspects, rather than the antiquated Cultural Significance/Visually Unique questions that don't have a place in criteria these days, but are very misunderstood by Niantic staff as being things that don't factor into a rejection.

• sara22au-PGOsara22au-PGO Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

The S.E.E actually introduce further problems, if you isolate them into categories, unfortunately. What is acceptable socially depends a lot on the community....I agree visually unique has to go as well, it's so open to interpretation and opinion that it serves no value in determining a POIs value.

The reason I suggested "Community Significance" is that its simple. Dance schools, gyms, daily morning tai chi in the park...cafes and local eateries that are still gonna be a struggle to get through, but can't be downvoted as they would be in present categories. Those quirky things that make you scratch your head, but aren't obvious exclude or inclusive of meeting criteria, could have a major community component in supporting. And my main complaint, the high rejection rate of ruins. Clamboring through ruins is the epitome of exploration, has major significance in all criteria categories, and are universally rejected because they "look like a pile of rocks" or similar. Well yes, ruins don't look pretty😁. Supporting for these noms always have links...but reviewers seem to decline on opinion over criteria..Simplifying categories to a more basic yes/no response is what I would like to see!

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

It depends. If you mean "the community", as in the wider (real world) population, then fair enough, but how are reviewers meant to know this as most members of the wider community have no interaction with Wayfarer, and proving your point is difficult.

If you mean "me and my 5 friends and our 18 accounts who want 'm0aR St0pz" and think that if we claim that dog waste bins are important to our local (PoGo) community' ao we can approve enough to make another Gym", then no. At least "cultural / historical" is a bit less open to "influences".

Then again, I don't really see how or why that particular category should be one of the voting reasons considering the wide range of things Niantic have said are acceptable - there is no consistency across the range of Waypoints.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly they should just remove that category and visually unique, because what they mean for visually unique isn't"uts unique there's none about" and they instead mean "does it stand out from the surrounding area", which is fine for about half the things, but sometimes the thing being submitted mught be small but still poi worthy, which would be hurt by that visually standing out, best to just remove it and historical and be done with it

edited December 2021

Let's not go into the more stops thing, that is way to open to abuse as is, and doesn't really matter what the catagories are if the wayfarer numbers are there to approve them, @sogNinjaman-ING. All the catagories are open to abuse this way.

What I'm trying to do is stop legit reviewers down voting things like playground equipment, simply because it isn't culturally or historically significant. That we "have " to give it 3+*s,for something it isn't, is very indicative that the catagory doesn't determine a POIs worth.

Post edited by sara22au-PGO on
  • GearGlider-INGGearGlider-ING Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good suggestion. Not a question though.

@GearGlider-ING , maybe rephrase as." Would it be possible to change....?"

It's also a question of whether the community thinks it would be a viable option.

• PlutoIsSad-PGOPlutoIsSad-PGO Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

"local significance" is a better term I think.

It would prevent reviewers from thinking it's gaming community significance.

Only prob with that, @PlutoIsSad-PGO , is that a lot of reviewers aren't local to what they review. Which is fine for playgrounds, and anything that is found globally, but not so fine where community values may find something sensitive, that elsewhere would be fair game.

• PlutoIsSad-PGOPlutoIsSad-PGO Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

I understand. I'm thinking things like local restaurants or things I'm not familiar with where I'm reviewing from. But then one would just be saying that it may be locally significant... which adds nothing.

The culturally/historically significant section is a strange one. There are plenty of wayspots that are neither culturally nor historically significant. They are just things that stand out for being different.