Editing Wayspots in Voting

I regret chiming in this late for fear my concern will be buried, but: what are the chances we could edit nominations already in voting?

A lovely gentleman on Reddit recently disputed the eligibility of bad-text nominations with me. The hypothetical: legitimate content, proper placement, but the description says "edit" and nothing else. I argued that the nomination should be accepted as is because it was clearly qualified, otherwise well assembled and made in good faith; he argued that it should be rejected for clearly not being finalized.

So let's render these arguments a thing of the past. Why not?

As a frequent Wayfinder, I see the appeal in submitting a nomination and returning later to fill in the details. Unfortunately, submissions can sometimes enter voting faster than I can get back to managing them. This issue is especially pronounced if you sit out an upload for several days; they tend to only show in your own queue with an hours-long delay if done this way, and then they fly like a rocket into voting, virtually erasing your editing grace period.

I can feel an immediate concern before even posting this: the potential for abuse is alarming! My compromise would be to not keep edited nominations in voting but to instead "reboot" the voting process, perhaps with a visual indicator of such for reviewers that have already seen a version of this content and are curious why it would appear again.

3 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• TowelMage-PGOTowelMage-PGO Posts: 23 ✭✭

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda bummed no one is engaging with this. I think we could make some very reasonable concessions to ensure fine-tuning in-game content is a simpler process without opening the floodgates to shenanigans, and I look forward to whatever developments the Wayfarer team has to offer in this regard, even if my inquiry is glossed over for the AMA. Cheers!

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Agreed with above. While I think it's a sincere idea to allow edits to nominations in voting, it would end up causing further intentional disagreement from reviewers. I certainly know I've wanted to add details or specifics later, or forgotten to improve the nomination altogether, but at that point I can decide if it's "good enough" or withdraw and resubmit.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple enough, if you edit a nomination in voting any votes it has recived already are removed and the nomination goes back to the back of the queue.

"Changing what you've already voted on" was exactly the point so I'm not sure what you were attempting to clarify.

If a nomination reset was programmed correctly (spare me your Niantic humor, lol) you ideally wouldn't be losing your agreement because everything about the initial vote would be nullified.

As for the excuse that it's draining to review the same things over - I don't want to be a smartypants about it but you're dining at the same table as the rest of us. I don't want to review another Auto Zone or stop sign, but that's the nature of the process; this will always be about fairly assessing submissions and never about your personal comfort with reviewing content. If anything, a nomination revised and resubmitted would most likely subject fewer people to reviewing resubmitted content, in cases where submitters would otherwise be starting the nomination process from scratch in a second or third attempt.

I thank you for your input and hope that this sheds some light for you.

"Further intentional disagreement from reviewers" makes it sound like you assume a substantial number of reviewers are bad actors and will vote out of spite for something they don't want to see again. I'm not sure I have an idea that would better mitigate petulant behavior, nor do I think this will substantially alter the course of that kind of activity. But thank you for chiming in.

Thank you. I know I took the "blogger that precedes a recipe with their life story" approach to this post and I understand it may have been a bit much for others commenting to read through and assess.

Building on another idea mentioned in my original post, in the event that votes are wiped and reset, we could keep a residual history of someone having voted on that stop at all (but not necessarily whether "yes" or "no") and highlight what changed between edits, to clarify and add weight and context to edits.

• 1253mi-PGO1253mi-PGO Posts: 49 ✭✭

I've had several go into voting before I realized the time nominations CAN go into voting was as short as 24 hours. It's a bummer when they are places you won't get to again or soon.

I agree that, if done, editing should erase all reviews and push the nomination to the back of the line. It's not like the reviewers are spending time checking nominations that are obviously unfinished. They 1* and move on. (At least they would with mine because I nominate in English and then edit to Japanese later.) Going to the back of the line is still better than nothing if the person is not going to revisit the area for a long while.

All said though... make the mistake once or twice and it sticks with you. I haven't forgotten to edit submissions in a long while.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a nomination reset was programmed correctly (spare me your Niantic humor, lol) you ideally wouldn't be losing your agreement because everything about the initial vote would be nullified.

Which would then make it a complete waste of time for the reviewers who reviewed it before the vote was reset. It wouldn't have any chance of earning them an agreement and it wouldn't clear anything out of the queue, instead it would literally be time wasted for no good reason.

• PlutoIsSad-PGOPlutoIsSad-PGO Posts: 188 ✭✭✭

As it is now if a nomination in voting is withdrawn wouldn't previous reviewers lose chance at agreement?

If so then editing is giving the nomination a chance at passing review of what might otherwise be a withdrawn nomination. The result is the same. Previous reviews are lost.

I'd withdraw rather than let it go all the way to rejection once I'd noticed a nomination needed editing to pass.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like an awful lot of threads, once again I'm seeing people apparently worried over the fate of "1 agreement", which makes it sound like participating in Wayfarer and reviewing nominations is some sort of massive task taking up huge amounts of time. Perhaps the other way of looking at it is that some people only review very few waypoints, and are only doing this now and then to generate an "upgrade" for a particular nomination. After the first couple of 1000 reviews, one agreement one way or the other is not going to matter, you could probably do 5 reviews in the time it takes to read this thread.