Removed and doesn’t meet criteria

Foxtrots Memorial

Fitzgibbon, QLD, Australia

1) The plaque does not meet guidelines. It was self erected by a member of the public and is for a deceased pet. Plaques are able to go in the game, but the person must be notable and the plaque must be erected by local, state or federal government.

2) See my google maps photosphere. As you can see the council has removed the plaque from the sandstone blocks.

This point of interest, or lack there of must be removed from game as it is not only no longer there, but doesn’t even meet guidelines in the first place.

Tagged:

Comments

• Appeal Accepted - Thanks for the appeal, Agent. We gave this a second look and after reviewing the additional evidence provided, we've decided to retire the Portal in question.

• C1TYSPUD-INGC1TYSPUD-ING Posts: 18 ✭✭

@NianticGiffard can I ask a question. What is Niantics position on self erected plaques of memorials for pets or family? Should these go in the game or not?

• RagdollCircus-PGORagdollCircus-PGO Posts: 10 ✭✭

Sorry, but the plaque is still there, on the other side of the wall, as the nomination clearly shows. The owner of the plaque has been notified and has no issue with this nomination.

The plaque was 'self-erected', to the extent that the owner paid for the plaque. But it was done in consultation with the Brisbane City Council, who own the park and wall, when the park was recently redeisgned and the sandstone wall moved to make way for public seating

The plaque is unique, permanent (cemented to a sandstone wall), tangible, and located in a public park accessible by footpath.

I appreciate that this particular waystop doesn't personally benefit a couple of the local, long-term players. However, it meets all of Wayfarers criteria, has no ineligible features (which has been misrepresented above), and most importantly, is a point of interest for the local community beyond a select few who like to control where stops are located.

• It's not present as per our investigation.

@C1TYSPUD-ING - Memorial plaques are acceptable if it is in a park or publicly accessible location, not in private property and they should be dedicated to a notable person in the community.

What are you talking about? It's on the east side of the wall? And it's council property (the builders have liaised with Council to store building materials there temporarily, and will be rectifying the damage to the Magnolia tree when they're finished).

It's Brisbane City Council's land - they're the ones that paid to turn it into a park!!!

Foxtrot was buried under the sandstone wall when the Council flattened the block and moved the wall. The owner got permission to do that, and to have a memorial plaque placed on the wall.

I appreciate you might not find that interesting, but given it's now called "Foxtrot's Park" by locals because of all that history, I think most locals would disagree with a you🤦🏼‍♀️

edited December 2021

@NianticGiffard thanks so much for the reply. So follow up question…if anyone can erect a memorial on public land….where do we stop? Cause there’s a lot of “trash” in the game of people who I am sure we’re notable to loved ones….but to the rest of the community maybe not so much. I have 3 cats who I love dearly…what’s stopping me from going out and purchasing 3 plaques and pop riveting them onto the concrete footpath outside my house and calling something like “kitten memorial walk”?

Post edited by C1TYSPUD-ING on

The Council would remove them, and send you the bill. It isn't legal to simply bury animals in public parks. Foxtrot's case is particularly unusual in that regard. It was done in consultation with the Council, and the Council made an exception for his case.

People do erect memorials in public spaces in appropriate ways. A common one is bench seats and picnic tables (but also the occasional gazebo) that are placed, and plaqued, to remember someone specific who frequented that place and is remembered by the community at that space specifically. A standard bench is not a point of interest - it becomes a point of interest when it is made uniquely significant with a memorial plaque to a specific individual that had significance to the local community.

Much like boring utility boxes that are on every other street corner. They become a point of interest when someone from the local community takes the time to paint a unique mural on a nearby box (this also happens with approval from the owner of the utility box).

There is a program run by certain Councils where local residents can apply for permission to paint a mural on electricity poles. That changes the everyday electricity pole, which line our streets, into valid, unique 'points of interest'.

Foxtrot's memorial is in line with the above examples, although substantially more unique. It changes an everyday sandstone wall into something unique. The new, unnamed park has become Foxtrot's Park to locals.

As for the concept that plaques will start to appear on sidewalks and seats everywhere by players looking for a convenient waystop - it is no more or less likely than players rushing out to paint a mural on a nearby utility box or electricity pole.

Third block from the left. Good grief!

It's permanently fixed, and was etched specifically to Foxtrot. What the hell is the problem? There is no "Humans Only" criteria for points of interest.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

The point is "Foxtrot" is not a "notable person". It was not a person at all, and even as an animal it is not claimed to be notable. It is an unremarkable dead animal buried under an unremarkable wall with a generic plaque that may or may not even still be there. Even if Foxtrot was a human, you would need to make a case that he was not just some rando that died and had people willing to pay for a plaque. Generic benches and such with memorial plaques to unremarkable people are not eligible either.

If it is indeed a park as you claim, then nominate the park.

Going round in circles, since when I nominated the park itself, I was knocked back and told to find something unique about the park and submit that instead.

I'll wait until the builders have finished and if I can be bothered I'll do it again. But it all seems a bit ridiculous.

Do I need to type out the story about Foxtrot? Does he need to be as 'significant' as the dog memorialised at the RBH? Is creating a park for him (which was previously a mound of dirt covered in weeds) not make him locally significant?

The arbitrariness of this is definitely irritating. Being removed because "it's not there anymore" is simply wrong (I could submit pics with today's newspaper in the shot!), so now its "Foxtrot isn't significant enough" (even though he got a whole park created in his memory - but, you'd have to read the plaque to know about it!) and failing that, go back to the very first submission (that was rejected) and resubmit that!

Gah, honestly who has the emotional energy for this type of lunacy!?

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

When a park is know by that dog, it means that the plaque is interesting enough to be a wayspot.

Seems there’s a lot going on here. I’ve lived in the suburb 3 years and never heard anyone call this Foxtrots Park, nor is there any signage, other than the self erected plaque. I would actually even take the line of this isn’t even a park. 25m2 of grass with 10 sandstone blocks doesn’t really constitute a park. It’s just open grass with no signage, nor is it geotagged on any mapping service as a park.

The plaque at the RBH for Smokey the War Dog is gov erected, had a gov crest on the plaque and had a known credible story.

Secondly looking at the street views from the other side the plaque, which is there, but it is on the sandstone blocks right next to someone’s driveway.

I agree with @MelodyS88Chi-PGO, I’m sure Foxtrot was well loved by his family, but it just isn’t enough to make this a valid point of interest.

I genuinely regret bringing this up now. My opinion on these kind of plaques won’t change as it dilutes the game and the integrity of the portal network. Apologies to @RagdollCircus-PGO

@NianticGiffard - a clearer picture. The plaque, affixed to a stone wall. Temp builders fencing, and the park bench visible on the other side.

So, if you take a picture from the other side of the wall, the plaque isn't visible (of course).

I was actually just referring to erecting plaques not digging holes and placing my dead cats in them. Anyways the portal is back now, the game is broken and I actually think it’s time for me not to give a **** about anything wayfarer anymore cause pogo makes the $$$ so Niantic don’t care.

Im off to the plaque shop…laters

• Based on the evidence provided by you, we have decided to restore the Portal.