The farce of Vaterstetten
Evrytrhing started with a random report of a photoshop Pikachu powerbox in this thread:
Since Photoshop fakes are often gregarious animals I checked the other wayspots of that town, and found, that the fake Pikachu was surrounded by a strange tree educational trail (so wayspot title as well as infoboards title included the german word for tree educational trail). What was strange?
- Location in a town. Lots of boards nice arranged around the fake Pikachu, fitting the cell rules of PGO. Others were far away (without a route, that woud make sense for visitors) .... so nice fake home cluster for the faker, and single stops for others, I guess.
- lots of mountings were very bad. No official instances would do this that way. One of the boards stood free in a forked branch. Another one was screwed into the tree (bad idea, because this hurts the tree. The tree cant deal with screws because of its secondary growth of girth). Way to go: nails, that dont oxidize.
- infoboards can be bought online by evryone, printing a town crest on them included, 32€ per board.
What happened? Niantic removed all the wayspots.
Then someone wrote a mail to the town government. Result: they got a neutral verbalized answer, that this is authorized. Later we found out, that the faker asked afterwards. So after placing his DIY infoboards without permission.
As a next step two things happened simultaneously:
- The fakers main account started a recreation appeal, that is not answered by Niantic. https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/25458/poi-recreation-appeals-vaterstetten Roughly at the same time he created google markers for each of his infoboards with a single 5* google review for each one. Someone removed them later...
- The faker started appeals for random other wayspots in his town on his own. Will visit that point again at the end
The wayspots are now back, some of them seem to be the same ones like before, others have different pictures now:
- https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=48.103253,11.787339&z=17&pll=48.103253,11.787339 This is now nailed. Before that it stood in the forked branch .....
- https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=48.103815,11.785807&z=17&pll=48.103815,11.785807 not sure. Seems to be same picture like before, and it is still screwed ....like mentioned above: very bad idea ....
- https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=48.104555,11.787545&z=17&pll=48.104555,11.787545 had no visible mounting, still has no visible mounting - most likely taped. Further the location makes no sense. Infoboard is for a chestnut tree. Around the location seem to be only bushes. The location further doesnt make sense: where is the hedgerow behind a few metres lawn? Only reason for this location is the cell grid, I guess.
- https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=48.09697,11.792422&z=17&pll=48.09697,11.792422 this one was mounted with nails, and the new one again with nails. But was the bord bent before? If not .... hint that it was only temporary placed to create the wayspot. Bent because of leveraging the nails out of the tree, I guess.
- https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=48.103044,11.788398&z=17&pll=48.103044,11.788398 This one is new, iirc. And again a new highlight: zip ties! Best indicator for temporary display ever. Further this board is about spruce trees. Do you see a needle tree around that location?
So back to his strange appeals:
- https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/25472/poi-taubsikasten-vaterstetten Here he reported the 2nd photoshop fake of that town. I mentioned this one already in the initial thread ...
- https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/25546/no-longer-available-indoor-swimming-pool-in-vaterstetten Don't know, whether he did this report. Noone would have ever noticed that this indoor community pool is closed now ....
- Further in the meantime the Pikachu powerbox reappeared, and afaik he wanted to report/appeal it (although it is/was one of his home wayspots) ..... and it's gone again .....
Why did he do these strange appeals?
Before all that stuff was spotted he wanted to become admin in our German wayfarer Telegram groups. After this was spotted .... he wnated to whitewash his reputation. And because Vaterstetten got a place at our blacklist of towns, that are known for lots of fakes, he wanted to have it removed from the list, I guess.
So please @NianticGiffard explain, what's your staffs oppinion about this, so that this strange farce can have an end.
Imho well done DIY things are okay. But a well done tree education trail should have a sensible route, the fitting trees next to the infoboards, well mounted, and usually its in parks or woods .... this example shows only greed, and that the faker isn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier ....