Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Newly approved photos not appearing on portals

0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a photo submission approved on Monday (Nov 15) and it is still not visible on the portal as of today (Nov 20).

Earlier this morning a photo was approved on a different location, and it too is not available on its portal.

I cannot confirm whether the photo is visible in non-Ingress games, as the locations for both are well out of my normal walking areas. But even so, the second one (today’s) is in a location where it will not appear in Pogo anyway.

14 votes

Investigating · Last Updated

Comments

• 0X00FF00-ING0X00FF00-ING Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Minor update.

Of the two portals where I'd had a secondary photo accepted, ONE is visible in Pokemon go. I was finally near enough to it on Sunday and was able to give a "thumbs up" vote on the new picture. After waiting for a brief time for all syncs to pass through Lightship, the new photo is finally visible in Ingress too.

The other location is Ingress-only -- and thus no such "workaround" is possible. The added photo remains unavailable in Ingress.

But such player "workarounds" SHOULD be unnecessary, new photos should be added to all platforms automatically. And indeed, having extra "photo votes" just to cause a sync? will surely interact badly with the algorithms used behind the scenes for such things as "gym selection".

• MJkingSF-INGMJkingSF-ING Posts: 1 ✭✭

I also have 5 portal pictures in Florida approved (from 12/30/21 - about now 1/11/22) but do not show up in scanner. I have a good number more that will be reviewed shortly. This was a major problem back in 2019/20 that persisted for like 6 months & was finally resolved. Unfortunately, this has re-occurred again. Please fix.

• niktero-PGOniktero-PGO Posts: 369 ✭✭✭✭✭

All my photos submitted and approved since December are not showing up in either ingress or in pokemon go. These photos were all submitted using ingress remotely so I can not confirm if the bug is present for pogo submissions too

• DavidBlairBC-INGDavidBlairBC-ING Posts: 4 ✭✭

I had many new photos for Ingress portals approved recently, but none have shown up in the game.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are a bunch of observations that I've seen in the last month:

• Photo contributions are very inconsistent in syncing. Some of them sync immediately, the majority of them don't.
    • Even having a nomination duplicated to an existing wayspot, it actually does NOT appear in the existing wayspot's gallery.
    • Queen's Square 1900's photo, which was approved on 27 December did not appear until I had its title and description edited and approved on 17 January. I had not liked the photo in Pokemon GO.
    • Another photo only exclusively appeared in Pokemon GO until I gave it a thumbs up. It now appears in Ingress.
    • A photo which was submitted in Pokemon GO does not appear in Ingress. I haven't liked it yet.

Frankly, this is pathetic. Why is this an issue again? The last time this was fixed was on 31 August 2021 when all the missing photos all appeared in-game again. Why does this even need to happen again? Fix your system Niantic!

• MoiraSu420-PGOMoiraSu420-PGO Posts: 11 ✭✭

I had updated a wayspot (picture, title and description) recently since the mural has been painted over since 2016, my pictures were approved the day after (january 20th) but didn't update in-game. And the title/description got accepted february 17th and got updated in-game the same day. So now it's a weird Wayspot with a new title/description fitting to what's there irl but an old picture that's now totally off.

I haven't seen any updates on what's happening here and if/when it's being resolved. I hope soon because now the Wayspot looks ridiculous.