Duplicate or Not Duplicate (New Park Sign)

Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

A friend sent me his picture that he nominated for an artistic sign that was added this year

Beautiful artistic sign for waterfront park.

-------------------------------------------

It got marked as a duplicate and overwrote the plain metal sign for the park that had been there. The sign was a recent added upgrade to the park in 2020. The original metal sign had been there and a POI since 2016.

The issue is that the POI metal sign (Don't have a picture but its just a plain metal sign on the fence that says waterfront park and the hours of operation) is at the actual entrance gate to the park. and a good 30 feet away from "this duplicate."

-----------------------------------------------

Do you think this is a duplicate? Since they both name the park?

Do you think this the sign is artistic enough to be a separate POI from the park itself?

And if you think this is a duplicate, should I attempt a location edit since the POI is now a good 30 feet away from where the new sign is constructed?

Should I tell him to appeal it?

We can't even decide between the 2 of us how to handle it... so I told him I'd post the question to the community and see what others think.

Comments

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

30 ft = 10m, so this Waypoint would fall into the "20 m" radius around an existing Waypoint and should not appear on the gameboard. I say "should" as this function seems to be working intermittantly at present. You have an existing sign at the park extrance which is a POI, trying to get another saying the same thing at almost the same spot is probably why it was tagged as "duplicate".

If the pin for your rejected POI is in the correct spot, leave it. If you make a location edit purely away from the correct location purely to try to generate a new Waypoint Niantic may consider this "Abuse", which could impact your account.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't quite understand what you mean.

The pin for the old POI is in the spot where the old sign is at the entrance to the park. The "Duplicate" for the new sign is close (30 feet was a guess) but it different. It is a seperate S2 cell. The new sign photo has become the dominant photo. So should I move the old POI which was accurate to the old sign/pic, to where the current picture sign? Because it's no longer accurate.

Part of my question was about the fact it was artistic painting iteself. Not just the park being eligible would that picture strike you eligible on its own seperate merit.

• Kellerrys-INGKellerrys-ING Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

Part of my question was about the fact it was artistic painting iteself. Not just the park being eligible would that picture strike you eligible on its own seperate merit.

It's a nice sign but still just a placemarker for the park. Naturally just my opinion/impression.

Make the move if you (or your friend) think it makes a difference and/or makes the game board better.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a park sign is a wayspot, and the sign is changed - the correct thing is to add a photo of the current sign, and vote it up. The sign waypoint is just an anchor to represent the park. It doesn't matter what it looks like.

If the new sign is not at the same location as the old sign, the correct thing is to move the waypoint to its new position. Or leave it - it still correctly represents the entrance to the park.

In fact, if the original sign is unchanged, and a second sign is added across the street - the second doesn't qualify. The park, and its entrance, is already represented by the existing wayspot.

Nobody goes there to see the sign. Nobody gets out and explores the sign. Nobody sets up social events at the sign.

It's the park.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's interesting is the thread just above this about multiple park entrances.

Here's a quote from it.

NianticCasey-ING Posts: 538Niantic › admin March 2020 Accepted Answer

Hey folks,

There are a couple of considerations to make here, but in general I stand by my previous guidance: Wayspots should not be "as many locations as possible but rather unique, interesting, artistic or notable local hotspots where people could gather or learn or discover something about their community.

In order for multiple entrances to the same park to be considered eligible, they would need to be either unique and differentiate-able from one another or far enough from one another to truly be independent from one another. The same sign at two different sides of a small park would not be far or unique enough to be considered separate Wayspots.

Interesting interrelated threads. As for my personal 2 cents. Decided I'm not going to mess around with moving the POIs and told my friend if he decided to appeal to put in his appeal that if Niantic really wants it as dup they should move it.