Picture Quality

IDK if this would fall under the picture appeal, but I just had an idea.

Recently I've been reviewing many nominations that have a great spot/poi, but some of the pictures taken for it are just not ideal (blurry, window reflection is visible, grainy, etc.), or the supporting picture is better than the actual picture for the nomination, and have come to the conclusion that there might need to be a rating on the picture itself or ability to suggest the supporting picture to be the picture.

Is there a way to implement that? I know that any coding can be a pain, but I believe it would help with nomination process. Or have the nomination on hold (even if it's accepted) until a better quality photo is taken.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was recently a bug with the “Upload Later” feature in pogo where it was switching the main and supplemental photos. I believe @NianticDanbocat instructed to still review the submission as if the photos weren’t switched because they save supplemental photos and can switch them if reported.

Other than that, there is the Low Quality Photo rejection that names blurry photos or photos taken from a car. Hopefully if a submitter received that rejection reason, they would take the critique and improve their photo before submitting again.

• Drijien-INGDrijien-ING Posts: 2 ✭✭

I feel the same about the images submitted. Some of the images are just plain awful, with people either not paying attention to what they are taking a picture of, using a bad angle or hanging their hand out of the car window as they appear to drive by

Here a couple tips:

1. Landscape mode, landscape mode, landscape mode.
    2. Do not use the Ingress Prime app to take the picture. Take the image with your phone camera and select "existing" when submitting an image.
    3. Sun behind you, glare flair kills the picture unless you really know what you are doing.
    4. Portal picture should be close subject matter and supporting should be a wide shot of the subject and surrounding area.
    5. Get out of car and position yourself.
    6. Pay attention to the surface. I have killed a number of great nominations because the person taking the picture is clearly visible in the reflection.
    7. pay attention, I have rejected just as many because there are people clearly visible or car lic plates clearly visible.

There are more but that would require picture/video demonstrations. I wouldn't mind doing a you tube tutorial on "good waypoint photo technique." But I just do not have the time right now.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've gotten home from nominating something, and looked at it on Wayfarer, and wished I could swap the pictures. It's something we reviewers have requested, for a long time. I think it's something we worry about more than Niantic. Maybe someday they'll spend resources on this. At least give us the option to load the supporting as a second picture - then gamers could vote. But it seems unlikely.