Waypoint Restoration Request

Title of the Wayspot: Rippling Brook Campground #2

City: Dinosaur National Monument, Colorado

Waypoint Photo:

This campground is located inside of Dinosaur National Monument. It is one of many river campgrounds assigned by the National Park Service to rafters going down the river. This particular site is one of two located at Rippling Brook (thus the "#2" designation). Rippling Brook #1 was also deleted, and will be appealed in a separate post. See a complete list of river campgrounds here:

All the listed campgrounds are have a "leave-no-trace" policy to preserve the beauty of the national monument. The campground sign posts are discrete by design, but each one is clearly marked and can only be used with a reservation through the National Park Service. These are 100% legitimate campgrounds.

Staying at one of these campgrounds is a rare privilege, as they are accessible only by raft.

Please restore this waypoint.

Tagged:

Comments

• This looks like a valid portal to me.

• DaCommish-INGDaCommish-ING Posts: 1 ✭✭

Seems valid to me

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as you can see the same scenery in the 360° photo and the location on the detailed map of the campsite location, the restoration seems to be fine.

However, with the current satellite photos and maps, it seems impossible to confirm its existence. (I can't confirm the location.)

Also, I don't know how it was removed, but the fact that wayspot was removed suggests that the report was raised for a good reason.

In the case of a place like this, it should either not have secure access, or it should have been removed from this location altogether.

If you can't override that, recovery may be tough.

Also, just to be nosy, it's a little disconcerting that players who don't seem to have accessed wayfarer before are expressing their agreement in rapid succession.

It may be that the portal is that important to you, but emotional appeals are unlikely to restore it, so I recommend that the player who made the appeal provide a logical explanation with the evidence necessary to restore it.

• A beautiful remote riverside campsite.

Someone at Niantic should probably look into how this was removed. It should never have been removed from the portal network.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard stories like that in Japan, too.

Also, I'm not opposed to restoring portals, though I think you misunderstand me.

I'm just saying that if it's there, it can be restored if you can provide evidence of it.

I'm just advising you that the current satellite photos don't show it, so you should make that clear.

And if it is restored for a good reason, the player who removed it for an unfair reason and method will be penalized.

It will benefit you as a result.

• MagicalThorn-INGMagicalThorn-ING Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

Let's read the following pdf together.

It's a PDF file that can be found on the official website of the National Park Service.

National Park Service

U.S. Department of the Interior

Natural Resource Stewardship and Science

Natural Resource Condition Assessment

Dinosaur National Monument

Natural Resource Report NPS/DINO/NRR—2021/2245 

https://irma.nps.gov/DataStore/DownloadFile/659015

The following sentence caught my attention.

PDF No.49 (Report P.15)

Perennial tributary streams within the monument include Rippling Brook,

(snip)

however, flash flooding and debris flows are possible from early spring through fall in any tributary. 

What a surprise.

"Flash flooding and debris flows are possible".

And it's marked "in any tributary".

Isn't this a dangerous place to be and you've been removed?

I think Wayfinders should get out of the house to find a new Wayspot.

However, I don't want my fellow Wayfinders and other users of location games to have to go to places where there is a chance of flooding or mudslides.

You said that "Rippling Brook #1" was removed along with this Wayspot.

Isn't there a good reason for that?

As I quoted above from the official report published by the National Park Service

Isn't it because it is a dangerous area where floods and mudslides can occur?

@bigb0lud0-ING .

Think about it again.

Do you want to leave your fellow Wayfinders and other location-based gamers in the middle of a flood or mudslide?

We shouldn't become Wayspot where we think it's dangerous.

It's obvious that every valid Wayspot in Niantic's location-based games needs to be a safe place.

• @MagicalThorn-ING

It's a campground you stay on while on a river rafting trip. It's not some extremely dangerous location. There are a lot hiking portals you shouldn't hike to in terrible weather. Pretty much any slot canyon hike will have this exact same warning.

There are many people who go to this location yearly without any serious problems. It's a perfectly safe location as long as you do it right.

• ElForesto-INGElForesto-ING Posts: 3 ✭✭

Might as well **** every mountain peak portal for the same logic. Because it can be covered in dangerous amounts of snow, we should remove them all just in case.

Please think before you speak. Everyone has their own level of risk tolerance, seasonal risk is not perpetual risk, and agents are generally pretty good at not taking unnecessary risks at going for portals.

• Thanks for the appeal, @bigb0lud0-ING! Due to insufficient evidence, we’re unable to restore the Wayspot in question. If you have additional evidence to share like geotagged images or photospheres, please submit a new appeal with additional information and we’ll take another look.

• 812SuperfastAce-PGO812SuperfastAce-PGO Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

Of course... While others have a free ticket to remove wayspots without any evidence, the people who want to restore have to provide much more evidence of something being real, than some reporters havign to proof something is fake..