Playgrounds and duplicates
Playground equipment in parks or other public places are great candidates for inclusion. Not only are they great places to meet and be social but they also can encourage exercise! There are a few notable exceptions to this though, playgrounds on K-12 / primary and secondary schools are ineligible. Additionally, individual pieces of playground equipment that are submitted separately are not eligible, even though the playground at large maybe. Rather, the individual pieces of equipment should be marked as duplicates to there’s just the one Wayspot for the whole playground.
Dear Niantic, can we get a clear criteria qualification about playgrounds and your ama (quoted above)?
As you are aware, our forum was flooded with reports asking you to remove so-called "duplicated" playgrounds.
When do you consider playgrounds being duplicated and when not?
This is a single swing - part of "Podwórko" playground and it's separated by a walking path. If we stick to your AMA - it's duplicate.
This is a single carousel - clear part of "Osiedlowy plac zabaw" - placed 5 m from that playground waypoint. If we stick to your AMA - it's duplicate.
This is a single piece of equipment on a big playground. If we stick to your AMA - it's duplicate.
You don't need to be Sherlock to see that's one big playground split into two parts. If we stick to your AMA - it's duplicate.
The same situation - it's clear it's the same playground. If we stick to your AMA - it's duplicate.
That's only part of similar wayspots in our city. Based on your November AMA - they all are duplicates but since they did not disappear/ you did not remove them - it's not duplicate in the Niantics eyes.
But I'm sure someone will try to report them again. If we don't get clear information about this - reports on the forum won't end.
What's your opinion about playgrounds that are replaced with new equipment?
That's clearly the same swing, so it just needs a new picture - not wayspot removal because it's exactly the same spot - what's a Niantic statement about this?
Thanks in advance. @NianticGiffard
If "someone" starts trolling this post in order to get it closed, please ignore him. Don't reply and derail the topic.
Happy to shed light on your query!
Answering all the questions raised by you which are as follows:
1) https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=50.059916,21.979281 - This is a single swing - part of "Podwórko" playground and it's separated by a walking path. - Not a duplicate of "Podwórko" playground since there are two separate sets of playgrounds that are separated by a walking path.
2) https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=50.059588,21.976395 - This is a single carousel - clear part of "Osiedlowy plac zabaw" - placed 5 m from that playground waypoint. - Yes, it is duplicate.
3) https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=50.058489,21.97945 - This is a single piece of equipment on a big playground. - Yes, it is duplicate
4) https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=50.057488,21.981571 - You don't need to be Sherlock to see that's one big playground split into two parts. - The location is a duplicate of the other equipment in the playground. Please keep in mind that if there are different sets of playgrounds within the same park/big playgrounds they will not be duplicates of each playground.
5) https://intel.ingress.com/?pll=50.0577,21.982599 - The same situation - it's clear it's the same playground. - Yes, it is duplicate
Now coming to your last query - What's your opinion about playgrounds that are replaced with new equipment? - Players need to update the new image of the play area of remodeled/renovated/pieces of equipment that are replaced if the Wayspot represents a playground.
I hope I am clear and was on point.
@NianticGiffard that was excellent. Id want every Niantic posting to be like this.
@NianticTintino , @NianticGiffard
Thank you for some clear clarification. Can you please fold this into the criteria somewhere (perferably with example photos) before it get lost under the daily accumulation of postings in here. So many things like this are almost impossible to find after a while.
could you then delete these duplicates?
Thanks for the clear explanation.
Thank you @NianticGiffard
@YMegaSnorlax-ING Check the last part of Giffard's comment :)
Sigh. Thanks for confirming this was just more drama being stirred up.
@NianticGiffard first I implore you to please actually see to it that the many requests we've made to better published clarifications comes through. Second, probably good to preemptively close this thread.
Oooh, that's interesting, so if there's a path separating the playparks (and I assume fenced off separately) they arent duplicates, might need to take advantage of that
Tbh, number 1 is a clear duplicate in my point of view.
Hi @Raachermannl-ING I owning up to disagreeing on your post. I am a single mum and sometimes the only portal I can get to is a playground POI. I do not have the option to go for a walk as a carefree adult. I really don't. There's a little "Double income no kids" self inside me horrified by the restrictions now on my lifestyle. Waiting for niantic to have the game that would suit the mum with kids.
The play equipment in the above examples are in public parks with dense housing surrounding thouse places. You can't restrict because everyone is allow to come to the park.
Argh!!!! you people and your playgrounds are 1 poi!!!!! the people who use playgrounds would not agree. I do believe theres a bit of a life stage issue here.
Humph!!! next time I'll submit these as one poi. https://intel.ingress.com/intel?ll=-27.566976,153.098496&z=19&pll=-27.56695,153.098636
These are separated by grass and involve moving the body in differing ways than each other just like the examples above... Why is a playfort a duplicate of a merry-go-round? It's nonsense!!!! Probably brought about by some wonky thinking brought about having not actually used playground in a long time ... in the begining all these men were knocking back playgrounds because they didn't want to be see standing around playgrounds.... Argh!!! you need to start thinking like playground users and the caretakers taking them to the park.
@NianticTintino and @NianticGiffard I would not agree with your determinations for duplicate. They don't make sense.
A more logical would be to allow the major items of playgrounds to be considered pois if separated ... by grass or a large enough distance .
1) Agreed not a duplicate - I note the merry-go-round on the left is clearly a seperate item of equipment. And would be a great POI if you #1POI-for-all-playground-equipment-but-gym-equipment-you-ok would just chill.
2) The merry-go-round is a separate piece of gym equipment that children happen to use.
3) The little spring ride is not good enough to be a poi - it the same way a park bench is not a poi
4) I see many POIs need to be ADDED. The swings, the spider climb, the fitness circut, maybe the toddler play items could still be nominated as a group, the nest swing and that other thing not sure they a big enough ticket items.
5) Stand back for some nuance. I see two pois. Would your teenager play on the playfort? NO WAY Would your teenager swing on a swing YES. They are different pieces of equipment. Though they are on the same patch of sand ....they stand differently and are both significant playground items.
Also .... would people please start thinking about the meshing?
@YMegaSnorlax-ING in my country it is not appropriate to publish a picture with children's faces in it. Proving that a swing set has been moved is not a good enough reason to post with children in the photo.
Oh and the flying fox/lip line is totally a POI .... three POIs! There's a tree seperating the swing and the playfort even lol.
@ZinkyZonk-ING The more wayspots you add to a playground, the more gamers will descend on it, and the more nervous parents will get. If it has a lot of portals, there will often be someone hanging out there, looking at their phone (for example, farming keys). Which parents have interpreted as someone creepy taking pictures of their kids.
The locations listed above are in open public spaces used by all ages. You have adult exercise equipment and park lawns to picnic on in addition to children play equipment items. Many adults use parks.
People on their phones are not creepy. The gamers aren't a hoard.
Niantic is not responsible for people having no social sense.
If farming go after dark. If raiding do an evening raid. If submitting a playground go just after rain or when the kids are in school.
Kids don't use playgrounds 24 hours.
By making assumptions about how things may be perceived you are actually reducing opportunity for people who are looking after children to combine family exercise and Nia games.
Many many times my kids got to go to the park because mummy needed to hack for sojourner (prior drone hack).
We when to a new park every day for 2 months while mummy was submitting things. We discovered our community! It was awesome!!!!!
I have no idea about what things are like where you live but the rest of the world can have very different approaches.
Our local park is not huge but does have a variety of play and sports equipment. Many users have their phones out.
The council got inspired by the activity and came up with own version
it has fallen by wayside and not sure if it will make a comeback, but we actually have families with little ones playing.
So no body here thinks it’s remotely creepy.