Why are people like this?

AwkwardSandal-PGOAwkwardSandal-PGO Posts: 3
edited February 2022 in Nomination Improvement

Think this is a fine nomination. Pictures are fine, locally owned business in the center of town where people gather that has been there for years and years. Discouraging as it seems some people are out determined to reject everything possible by setting higher standards than Niantic for some unknown reason. Would appreciate any insight as to why this nomination would be rejected. Understand it’s not the MOST interesting/culturally relevant/ mind blowing place on earth but it shouldn’t have to be. In a small suburban town, it certainly meets the criteria Niantic has provided. Screenshots attached. Thanks all vent over, appreciate the help!

Comments

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since one of the reasons was picture, I suggest either a close-up of just the hanging sign or change to a straight-on shot of the windows with the name painted above.

For the other rejection, you could include links showing the events and popularity of the place to increase the chance of getting it passed.

Beyond that, it looks to be the exact location of an existing wayspot "State Bank of Pearl River Seal", which can be seen on the bank-looking part of the building. That's not a rejection reason, but it does mean it likely won't appear in any games if it does get accepted. Whether or not it's still worth the effort is up to you, of course, just FYI.

• Thank you both for the feedback here, also the insight that it will likely not even become a stop due to proximity of the existing stop. I always thought the supporting photo was to show that the location was publicly accessible, so I always just take a picture of the sidewalk showing that it’s a safe, accessible location to play at. I’ll deff change that going forward to make the quality of the nomination better.

This is something I’d love to get your opinions on. I understand reviewers get bitter with the mass of bad nominations they have to sift through. I guess my main gripe is that some reviewer’s (in which I myself am as well) seem set their own standards for nominees to prove WHY it’s a community staple and popular meeting location. It’s a unique locally owned restaurant in the walkable downtown of a suburban town, not a chain Arby’s in a **** mall. Shouldn’t just that by definition meet the criteria set forward by Niantic? “An interesting, unique, local small business or popular restaurant” something along those lines from Niantic. I guess it just seems like some reviewers are on a total power trip and demand something unrealistic from every pokestop submission. The reality is most places don’t have a million super unique mind blowing features to submit, so do those places deserve to have little to no stops? These nominations are suppose to be places significant to the local community, but someone reviewing from the outside looking in just sees some random bar and even after me saying “it s community staple and hosts event etc.” basically says “prove it”. I guess it’s just frustrating but maybe with the constant flow of bad submissions it’s a necessary evil.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness complaining above, really do truly appreciate you both taking the time to check the nomination out and give me some helpful feedback. Thanks again!

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

No worries. For the supporting photo, showing pedestrian access is good, but you need you make sure reviewers can also clearly see your nomination in it. Until I went to Streetview, it wasn't clear to me the pub is the whole series of buildings, not just that one door with the sign over it. I doubt you got any rejections from that photo in this case, but it's good to keep in mind for the future.

As far as having to provide links to back-up your claims, if you've done enough reviews you've probably noticed by now that every restaurant is a local gem, every memorial bench is for a notable member of the community, every graffiti tag is a mural by a local artist, etc. It's not cool for honest people, but too many submitters taking "creative license" with their descriptions have made it difficult for everyone. So yeah, submitters should provide some sort of a link or suggested Google search to "prove it". I mean, a unique local restaurant could still have terrible food, an owner everyone hates, and be out of business in three months. Just not being a chain isn't enough to guarantee it's significant. Conversely, justing being an Arby's isn't automatically disqualifying. Maybe it's the oldest Arby's in America or one of only two restaurants in a small town and hosts a weekly curb-side night where the local car club gathers (I don't know, lol). With enough proof and persuasiveness by the submitter, those could be accepted.

Anyway, I can understand the frustration of having something rejected (repeatedly) that you really believe in, but try not to let it get to you. Also, try not to be too angry with reviewers for doubting you. It's really the fault of too many abusive submitters fudging things to try to get couch stops/portals forcing reviewers to be more skeptical.

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... I saw that one thought it was good. Guess no agreement for me. Looked like a place I'd go with friends if I were in town.

Try again. Your first pic is fine. Better supporting photo might be needed but it's hard on streets like that. Other than that I wouldn't change much. Hopefully I'll see you resubmit too.

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

reviewer’s (in which I myself am as well) seem set their own standards for nominees to prove WHY it’s a community staple and popular meeting location.

Niantic has never given reviewers a rubric on how to determine what is "popular". And in an earlier post, stated that it is up to the reviewer to determine if a restaurant meets the eligibility criteria. So don't go blaming reviewers when they don't accept every "local restaurant" that is submitted.

It’s a unique locally owned restaurant in the walkable downtown of a suburban town, not a chain Arby’s in a **** mall. Shouldn’t just that by definition meet the criteria set forward by Niantic?

The examples given by Niantic are "popular restaurants" and "favorite coffee shops". They did not say anything about whether being local or locally-owned was sufficient. But if being local was enough, then Niantic would have included that adjective in their examples instead of using "popular" and "favorite". At least then, it would have been less vague.

But then there is still the rejection criterion of "A generic business, chain, or franchise that is not locally unique". And once again, Niantic has not given any guidance on what is a "generic business", so it is left to reviewers to determine for themselves. At least before the November 2020 update, we had "historical/cultural value, community significance, or distinctive architecture" as the exception to generic business, but that is no longer part of the criteria and many new reviewers aren't going to know about it either.

The reality is most places don’t have a million super unique mind blowing features to submit, so do those places deserve to have little to no stops?

All I can say to this is life isn't fair and the uneven development of communities (especially in the US) isn't something we can fesably correct while keeping Wayspots tied to specific objects and locations.

These nominations are suppose to be places significant to the local community, but someone reviewing from the outside looking in just sees some random bar and even after me saying “it s community staple and hosts event etc.” basically says “prove it”.

This basically comes down to you believing that a restaurant, pub, or coffee shop should be accepted simply because it exists. But that is not the minimum standard set by Niantic. Yes, you have to "prove it" and I understand that can be difficult. But how else are reviewers, who don't know anything about your local community, going to determine if your nomination meets the criteria? Do you want them to accept every local business without any further scrutiny beyond "does it exist"?

• dman41689-PGOdman41689-PGO Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

try and take a closer picture of the sign. make the sign the main focus of the picture and in the supporting details try and sell it a little better see if you can find news articles that can support your claim