Not enough time to evaluate historic locations/locations in general

I live in a place which has a rich history. I value looking for information on a location past the 30 minute evaluation period. If you are looking to have accurate descriptions or places which have extended knowledge, it would be wise to allow folks on your reporting system more time to submit information. For historical accuracy, you need knowledge. For which most people passing by a monument in a historic town do not know-- They are generally tourists. People who live in these locations may be able to tell you more and be more accurate based on where they live and what they know. More time to research in general would be appreciated.

Comments

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you mean when you're submitting a wayspot or when you're reviewing a wayspot?

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Evaluation period means they're probably talking about the 20 minutes to review a nomination before they time out. But then they mention "allow folks on your reporting system more time to submit information" and I have no idea what that means because there is no time out or limit when submitting a nomination.

Please clarify.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree your post is confusing so I will answer for both possibilities. If you mean you need more time to research and write a compelling nomination, do what I do and write a draft, take photos, etc. outside of the app and then use your existing photos and copy/paste in the description and supporting information you wrote. There is no time limit.

If you mean you need more than a half an hour to evaluate nominations you are reviewing, then the submitter did a poor job. They should be including URLs in the supporting information if necessary to explain why the POI is historically relevant or simply explaining it themselves in addition to writing a good description and using a good photo. A good nomination should not require that reviewers spend more than a few minutes at the most to evaluate it.

• SyresonFox-PGOSyresonFox-PGO Posts: 2 ✭✭

I'll just make it a quoteathon up in here since replying to everyone individually seems justifiably silly.

While it is true that the submitter should be the one who does the ground work, what I am referring to is in the review process (perhaps it's just my being too punctual for my own good) it takes some time in some cases to review the area, the access, the reasoning why it was nominated if you are not familiar with the area. And in the case of historical locations nominated by someone who doesn't know enough about a location to describe it properly, I have been adding the optional field (yes I realize it's optional) of improvements or changes that should be made. Perhaps it's on me and I wasn't aware that they don't get changed once they're submitted.

However, at one point I had been checking something to make sure it wasn't a duplicate and the description was actually accurate when the whole thing timed out on me and sent me straight to the next review when I was nearly done. If it's true that only the submitter should be the one to take care of that and nothing that the reviewer does actually changes that information, I am clearly wasting my time here. I got the impression that the review process was really to make sure all the information was correct. Since it seems silly to have someone look at these and not at least try to make sure a Pokestop which would otherwise be excellent, has the right information attached to it.

• TrevorAlan-PGOTrevorAlan-PGO Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly it shouldnt take more than a minute or two to grade each nomination. the 20 minutes is kinda so you can research it, ask for help, walk away and come back (as far as I know). That's why I say it's on the submitter, if they dont articulate why it meets the criteria and should be approved, a rejection shouldnt be a surprise.

And the "optional" comments area goes absouletly nowhere FYI. It might end up in some database for niantic to look at, but I don't think anyone here has ever received a response from Niantic using the comment area, and it certainly does not go back to the submitter in any way.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually kind of agree that I don't see a reason for a 20 minute timer on the reviews. Especially for new reviewers, it can take a while to go search around forums or get answers back from questions when it's a submission in a gray-area. I understand there needs to be some kind of timer from a database perspective, but an hour would be fine.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 20 minute timer should be 20 minutes of inactivity. So if you do a google, and find yourself down a rabbit hole - pop back to the wayfarer page every now and then, and click something to reset the timer.