I submitted a shed and it was rejected for being a "Natural Feature" and other unrelated reasons

So I nominated a shed from my hometown which is frequented by people participating in public community events hosted in a subdivision. These are commonly basketball tournaments and singing competitions.

Its commonly used as a meeting/gathering area for the participants. Its also in a publicly accessible space with a pedestrian crossing right in front of it.

It has been rejected for the following reasons:

It's a concrete shed which is visible in street view btw. How is this even fair?

Screenshot from google street view:

Its feels even worst right now since appeals are disabled.

Comments

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not look eligible at all to me.

• Polcatz777-PGOPolcatz777-PGO Posts: 19 ✭✭

My main gripe here is that its rejected for the wrong reasons. If the local reviewers think its not eligible, then why not reject it with that. The rejection reasons seem like they are given by a bot.

Also, when I review other submissions, I see other sheds when checking for duplicates. I thought its locally acceptable so I tried.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,123 Ambassador

You shouldn’t take things that exist as still being eligible. Sometimes they’re from ages ago (someone just said about their local fire station still being a Wayspot which is now a no) and sometimes non-eligible stuff gets through either on Niantic or regular review.

As for the wrong reasons, some reviewers will choose a random reason as to not induce a cooldown. It’s not useful for you as the submitter though to know how to improve.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, when Niantic first started putting rejections reasons in emails, they said they'd throw random ones in there, to educate nominators for next time, and to make it harder to "game the system". An awful lot of human angst has been created by them since then. Ignore rejection reasons if they upset you.

That's just not a good nomination.

I can't tell what in that picture you're nominating, but I don't see anything in it worth nominating.

For a minute, I thought maybe you'd killed your nomination by saying "shed" when you meant pavilion or gazebo, but based on the picture you shared, you mean a boring shed.

Find something better. The basketball courts would be good.

• BaltiCalling-INGBaltiCalling-ING Posts: 362 ✭✭✭✭✭

A shed will probably not make a good wayspot. The reasons are irrelevant. The rejection is all that matters in this instance.

• Polcatz777-PGOPolcatz777-PGO Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited March 2022

So they just choose random reasons to reject?

Do rejections count as agreement even though they are not exactly the same? That's weird but good to know.

Also, thanks for everyone's feedback. I really appreciate it.

Post edited by Polcatz777-PGO on
  • Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rejection reasons have seemed weird for a long time. It's safe to assume that they aren't always an accurate reflection of the reasons for rejection. Sometimes they'll have good info... "mismatched location" usually means reviewers couldn't confirm the location, and "other rejection criteria" is generally an indication that reviewers didn't think the candidate met any of the acceptance criteria. If you get something that looks like a bizarre rejection reason I'd suggest just ignoring it. It could be as simple as a reviewer misclicking, or it could be a Niantic bug.

• grendelwulf-INGgrendelwulf-ING Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Even a rejection for the wrong reasons is a right rejection.