Welcome to the Bug Reporting page! Please refer to these tips when submitting new bug reports:
1. Browse the known issues section or check if another user previously posted about a similar issue.
2. Upvoting posts help us understand how many players are experiencing the bug.
3. Refer to the Best Practices to learn how to write a bug report.
4. File each issue separately if you’ve encountered multiple issues.

Photospheres not accessible in review

ProfessorGugui-PGOProfessorGugui-PGO Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited March 2022 in Report a Bug

When reviewing proposals with uploaded photospheres, in many cases the photosphere is not accessible from wayfarer, and only the satellite view remains. Even manually clicking or dragging the little man on top of the blue dots amounts to nothing. This makes it impossible to verify location in these otherwise valid proposals, which end up being rejected for mismatched location. Quite unfair on the submitters who did everything right but the reviewers cannot validate their efforts. Example here:

Tagged:
4 votes

Resolved · Last Updated

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

Yes I have had this problem recently, very annoying

• SleepyzzCat-INGSleepyzzCat-ING Posts: 37 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Yes, I have the same problem with Google Maps recently.

Also, one of my recent Photosphere initially could be accessed but later not accessible. Subsequent Photospheres upload all not accessible.

But the blue dot is accessible on Google Maps App, just not accessible via Wayfarer or web Google Maps.

I think it's more a Google Maps issue rather than a Wayfarer issue. Seems this has happened before in the past with Google Maps.

As a temporary measure, my suggestion would be to use Google Maps App (not the Web), view the blue dot and using the share link option to copy the link and include the Photosphere link in the supporting information. However, submitters may not know of this. And submission in voting can no longer be edited.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

There have been problems with Google maps this past week. Photospheres that have been uploaded seem to have not been appearing properly on the map. It definitely seems to be a Google issue rather than a Wayfarer issue.

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

For what it's worth the photospheres I did in the lastvfew days have appeared and work fine on gmaps on android

Needs to be fixed but...at the same time submissions shouldn't get rejected because reviewers should only be 1*'ing if it could possibly not exist and 3*ing if they just can't see it.

If reviewers were doing it right a lack of photosphere should not lead to a rejection unless your area has bad reviewers.

Yup, going to keep beating this drum

How bad it is that because of some reviewers someones submissions could get rejected by because some unrelated third party site wasn't working when it went in to voting..

• Johnsonsine-INGJohnsonsine-ING Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

I kinda agree, but then again - if it weren't for that third party site, a lot of nominations would be impossible to confirm location-wise. There is so much abuse in Wayfarer from submitters taking advantage of the "3* if you can't see, but it's possible"-rule.

I have reported systematic abuse from at least 2 different submitters that have found and used photos from Google (usually playground material) and then in supporting information, they just put "it's not on Google Maps yet because it's new". We all know that could be a valid reason. I saw one of the playgrounds went live on Intel map. That, in MY view, is bad reviewing. It was kind of obvious that the photo was fake, from where I stood.

Just to add some nuance. 🙂 Photospheres are not at all irrelevant, but can make or break a nomination.

• Johnsonsine-INGJohnsonsine-ING Posts: 417 ✭✭✭✭

Btw does anyone have any updates about this issue with Google and photospheres not working?

I have added a bunch myself, and the blue circles show up but are 'unclickable'. I can't find any info about this from Google (surprise, surprise). Has anyone else had any luck?

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have used that line in supporting information myself xD A new nature reserve, well new in that they added a new gravel car park, some signs and a few gates for access along the side. Luckily the gravel car park had a recent satellite view so went through without a streetview. The other one which was a map Info sign by a new gate in a gap made in the hedge but couldn't be seen on either as it was all hedge in the streetview. Rejected. That's despite the map title, map and 'you are here" pin on the map clearly showing the exact position. So photosphere wasn't needed.

Didn't help that signal was so bad there the upload later option was struggling and I was almost out of battery so couldn't have done a photosphere if I had wanted to

Submitters get punished by wayfarer voters due to some fake submitters, which isn't right. If only some could get trusted submitter status

• SleepyzzCat-INGSleepyzzCat-ING Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Seems Google resolved this issue today. My Photospheres are showing correctly now.

• Raspb3rryLim3-PGORaspb3rryLim3-PGO Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited April 2022

I’m getting photospheres now but the red pin isn’t always in the right place. In some cases the pin is WAY out in the photosphere from where it is in satellite view. Folk are going to get good nominations rejected on location if reviewers don’t check satellite view too.

• jokeinsurance-PGOjokeinsurance-PGO Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Ever since this became an issue, I've always provided the photosphere URL in the Supporting Information section.