How do I break the "Temporary or Seasonal Display" curse?

Three times I've submitted a mural and three times its been rejected. Three Upgrades WASTED, This is how you get people discouraged from submitting/reviewing. I'll focus on other submissions I have before I keep trying on this one.

How can people not see that there's a photosphere from five years ago where the mural is clearly visible and another photosphere from this month where the mural is still clearly visible!

Blindness? Incompetence? Illiteracy?

These reviewers need to take a break if they're not up to par. This location is open 24/7 and there's people going through it at all times.

Comments

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

@ElwynGreygoose-ING Not it's not. A fast Google search show it is a mural project committed by the mayor of New York.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/191st_Street_station

I hope you do a better job as reviewing than at commenting..

@StevensDs-PGO You can help your nomination by adding links to the Wikipedia page and differents article in NYT or other news/sites and by explaining who dunnit, when and why in your description.

BTW if you want, I can go resubmit it for you, I live just a few blocks from here. ^^

• StevensDs-PGOStevensDs-PGO Posts: 35 ✭✭

Oh hey "neighbor" haha.

It's okay man, I'm just going to focus on other submissions I have before I get back to it. I'll have to "Dumb-Proof" it and use a lot of text and references. I like it short and straight to the point, sometimes a nomination with too much text is not always good.

I mean, at the end of the day I can't stop you but just be mindful about the pin placement so we both can benefit from it.

Also, Resistance or Enlightened? Not that it affects me at all.

• ElwynGreygoose-INGElwynGreygoose-ING Posts: 244 ✭✭✭✭

Well done for doing the research - but reviewers are not likely to do that. Instead, what reviewers will see in the photosphere is largely graffiti. The mural has been severely defaced with graffiti. If they are given evidence that there is an official mural underneath that, they might pass it - and they might not. But without evidence, they will just see the graffiti. We already know this, because we have the proof - it was rejected as "Temporary or seasonal display".

The key to successful nominations is understanding how reviewers work. It's taken me a long period of trial and error to come up with a list of eight points that I must meticulously pay attention to in order to ensure an 100% acceptance rate. There is absolutely no point, ever, in complaining about reviewers, because that doesn't get nominations accepted. We just have to deal with the challenges that reviewers present us with.

Yes, I totally agree with you @ElwynGreygoose-ING .

Sorry, I was a bit aggressive with you.

I'm not complaining about reviewers, even if some of us are lazy sometimes, but trying to help @StevensDs-PGO to improve his nomination. (Resistance btw, but mostly PoGo ^^)

And some nominations for mural are hard to be accepted. They need to have good titles, strong description and useful supplementary infos, to clear up the point they are not graffiti.

Like most of us, I really appreciate when a nomination show the submitter has done his job, and so most likely to give more stars.

• ElwynGreygoose-INGElwynGreygoose-ING Posts: 244 ✭✭✭✭

This is the key takeaway that people should please note:

"They need to have good titles, strong description and useful supplementary infos, to clear up the point they are not graffiti."

No you weren't complaining about reviewers, but they do come in for a lot of abuse when actually there's nothing we can do about that, and we have to just understand how to work around it.

What's wrong is that it takes a long period to figure all this out, by which time many will have given up in frustration.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that citing the artist and the date - which makes for good description information anyway - usually can clear up an argument against “that’s just graffiti.”

FWIW, I spent *a while* (too long, really) going through the Wikipedia page cited and did not find information about the commission. So I’d suggest that just that link is inadequate to prove the point.

"The tunnel, which had graffiti and was frequented by cyclists riding bikes illegally, was slated to get several murals and new LED lighting.[136]

The passageway has been painted with murals since the late 2000s to beautify the tunnel. In 2008, a mural was painted on the passageway leading up from Broadway to the station, as part of the Groundswell Community Mural Project. It was called New York is a Rollercoaster.[137] It was later vandalized, and in May 2015, it was painted over.[138] Since then, the passageway's artwork has consisted of five murals. As part of a tunnel beautification program, the NYCDOT chose four artists and one team of artists, mostly local, from an applicant pool of 158. They were chosen to paint a 200 feet (61 m) section of the tunnel. From the Broadway entrance to the station fare control, the artworks are: Queen Andrea's Prismatic Power Phrases; Jessie Unterhalter and Katey Truhn's Caterpillar Time Travel; Cekis's It's Like A Jungle/Aveces Es Como Una Jungle; Nick Kuszy's Warp Zone; and Cope2's Art is Life. Awarded $15,000 each, the artists worked for over a week on their art."

• mellycakes89-PGOmellycakes89-PGO Posts: 66 ✭✭

Initially looking at the photospheres, to me it just looks like graffiti, which is ineligible. I don't know what information you provided in your nomination, but not all reviewers read further down before making judgement on the photos alone. That might be why it was rejected. There are reviewers such as myself who read all of the provided information before making a decision, but some just want to rush through, which is frustrating.

The description and supporting info written above by @VladDraco-PGO would be a great addition, to help reviewers understand the history of the murals.

Hopefully if it's resubmitted, it gets through! All the best.