Nomination stuck in voting since Aug 2020

I have several stuck contributions, some are still in queue, some have been voting for more than a year. Funny thing is, some of the In Voting ones even became POI in NIA games. Particularly, from Aug 2020:

. One stuck as in queue (which is trail marker on a hiking trail up on the mountain, so not a lot of portal around)

. Two are stuck as in Voting, since at least Fall 2020. One is a Baseball Diamond

On top of that, I have 10+ from 2020 - it feels more like they got stuck somehow. Like because a similar got through causing mine to stuck in limbo.

All my recent submissions are all going through in one or two weeks, and event in a very dense area (downtown Victoria, BC).

Is there anyone with similar problem? And were you able to resolve the issue?

Comments

• exculcator-INGexculcator-ING Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

What is the "problem", exactly? I have nominations MUCH older than this still in the pipeline.

One of my 2018 nominations that was still in the queue and had not proceeded to voting I withdrew last week, because somebody else has made it a portal in the meantime, but others are still there, waiting to be processed.

It depends on where I nominate them. If to my southeast they can, and usually will, languish for years. But to the north, they typically go through in days or weeks. It's all about location location location.

I do "laugh" when I see their boilerplate e-mail that says it might take "weeks" for nominations to be processed; "years" would be a more honest statement.

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately that's not unusual behavior.

Have you tried upgrading any of them? That should help.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think after a nomination has waited two months, it's just not going to move until Niantic does something specifically to address it.

It's happened several times before. Nominators complain about their nominations being "in limbo". Niantic looks into their code that fast-tracks some and slow-tracks some. At first of course they don't see a problem. But eventually they find the bug (or just tell us they did) and they prioritize old nominations.

Mostly we're talking about people with over 10,000 agreements. Still we have more nominations than upgrades. (Not 1000 upgrades - the upgrade was added a couple years after we started reviewing.) Why should some people need to do 50,000 reviews, while others get faster processing without reviewing? People nominating the same thing 40 times in a day get them all back within weeks! While our thought-out and carefully-nominations languish for months and years.

My oldest nomination has been in queue since October 2, 2021. I know: that's not long at all, compared to many.

SUGGESTED SOLUTIONS:

What about a weekly process that automatically upgrades any unresolved Wayspot nominated more than six months prior?

Or, maybe a place where we can manually report "stuck" nominations, and a Niantic employee pulls them to review? (This probably wouldn't be all that many, because most limbo victims wouldn't know how to report it... and many probably aren't even playing anymore.)

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another suggested solution: EVERY nomination should wait a year and a half, unless upgraded. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

IOW: This is a bug. Don't blame the victim by saying they should do more reviews. (I've done 23,000 reviews, with 15,000 agreements. For the last couple years, my nomination acceptance rate is around 90%.)

• AgentX1976-INGAgentX1976-ING Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that my more recent nominations have been resolving faster. Some of them are on the fringes of the area Iive and could just be in a faster area. I do have a few test nominations close by that are not that old yet.

Currently oldest nomination is from March 2020, that seems stuck. I know it's still floating around out there when I saw a friend of mine see it in their voting. I had hoped that would get it unstuck but still no luck.

Have had some current nominations go live in as little as 3 weeks. Some of these are just outside of the city I live in so again could be a faster area as there are not a lot of PoI already there. I nominated 3 new ones near my house which is a dense area in December 2021 so hoping they come Back a bit sooner than 2+ years.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this isn't always possible, and the real problem is Niantic needs to find the bug that makes this happen, but in the meantime have you tried making new submissions for them? This may work for any that are stuck because of bugs and not just because they are already in a dense area. If they got stuck in the queue instead of stuck in voting, you can delete the old ones after the new ones are approved.

• SiIverLyra-PGOSiIverLyra-PGO Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

...What? Blaming the victim? Was the first word of my comment not clear enough?

I don't think there's a single submitter who's enjoying the current queue/voting times or thinks they're justified. I guess that trying to offer a practical solution, instead of waiting for Niantic to fix their system God-knows-when, wasn't the right move? 🙄

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one still in Voting from September 2020. Another 4 still in voting from early 2021 and plenty after that.

And yup, most new ones get accepted/rejected fairly fast.

There are still 3 or 4 from the first half of 2021 yet to go with in to voting along with more after that.

New submissions usually go into voting within 48 hours thes days though.

Personally I think it's how old submissions were brought in to Lightship and the workflow is different/legacy to new Submission

• pokecatcher7-INGpokecatcher7-ING Posts: 51 ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone. I know about the upgrade option and I do use them as they become available - but I think any legit submission is a contribution to the game/community and no one should feel like they have to make another 100 reviews to be able to contribute... And that was exactly what I though last year and I gave up on submitting & reviewing.

Unfortunately, I cannot resubmit these submissions either as they are faraway.

Another thing that makes me think that it's a bug is that the baseball diamond I mentioned has become a POI (submitted by someone else) more than 6 months ago while I submitted the same mine a year before that happened. Typically, I notice a duplicate come back pretty quickly (easy decision for reviewers as there is nothing else within 50m) so mine should have come back as duplicate by now.

• patsufredo-PGOpatsufredo-PGO Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually everyone would most likely know this. Niantic used a kind of selection algorithm for reviewing based on Wayspot density within L9 cells.

If you live in a rural area however your area shared the same L9 cell with a big city nearby then sorry, your nomination will be stuck for eternity unless you upgrade them. And yes, you can tell this unfair as nominations from any adjacent L9 cell with fewer Wayspots will be resolved in just under a week.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,483 Ambassador

@pokecatcher7-ING

if I have read this correct …..

The baseball one submitted by someone else was probably upgraded - thus it leapt over your original.

The problem then is yours although older, is still in voting but now the voting is all peculiar. It was probably slowly accumulating positive scores originally, but now the other one is there it will be slowly accumulating rejects as duplicate.

So the voting on the POI is all confused. We don’t know what the algorithm is for the voting so it’s hard to be clear I also have had instances like this that made me suspicious that there is a bug that happens 🤷‍♀️