Can someone explain why this was rejected

Please someone explain why this was rejected. I got no pedestrian access. REALLY?

Comments

• niktero-PGOniktero-PGO Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

People are weird and some think that pedestrian access means there needs to be a sidewalk leading up to the object. They were probably worried about the road with no shoulder aspect so try again and make clear there is a safe pedestrian accessible trail crossing right here and this road is rural with safe access on the grassy borders.

• ElwynGreygoose-INGElwynGreygoose-ING Posts: 244 ✭✭✭✭

Clearly there is pedestrian access if you approach this from the path itself.

That's my logic when reviewing, and I've had trail markers in similar situations accepted too.

• exculcator-INGexculcator-ING Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

Remember that the rejection reason is not pedestrian access, it's SAFE pedestrian access. And the Niantic training materials are actually quite clear that pedestrian access where cars can also go is NOT "safe" in their view, so this could quite "rightly" be rejected as being unsafe (I would not go that far, but would definitely give it only 3 stars myself).

This all stems for the Niantic US-of-A-centric approach, where cars rules, and pedestrians just have to duck for cover.

We have similar problems in Japan, where many actual streets (not just country lanes like in the photo shown here) don't have dedicated footpaths, so pedestrians share the road with cars. There are many shrines located along such small streets. According to Niantic, none of them have "safe" pedestrian access, nor any of the houses along said streets, etc. The Japanese Ingress community collectively decided that was the first rule they were going to ignore when judging portal eligibility...

In short, a reviewer with less experience and more "I should follow the rules" will be quite likely to reject this as lacking safe pedestrian access. Remember 2 stars is also in "rejection" territory, so they don't have to saying NO safe pedestrian access (1 star), just "not very safe pedestrian access".

• arcaicways-PGOarcaicways-PGO Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

this sign also looks less like a trail marker and more as a marker showing the way to the trail as there are no signs of a path made for horses bikes or humans only cars.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a standard "UK Trail Marker" design, usually placed where a trail either leaves or crosses a road. The path you are looking for - ie "the trail" is the bit of dirt bounded by the single bar fence in the first photo.