Clarifying the rejection criteria for "K12 - school grounds"

LerionMW-INGLerionMW-ING Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
edited March 2022 in April AMA - 2022

Please clarify the rejection criteria for "K12 - school grounds". 

The main concern is that there should be no doubt when nominating publicly available facilities located near schools. Such objects are often nominated in good faith (as publicly available) but are later removed by NIANTIC for K12 reasons. 

A clear definition of what the school grounds are would be very valuable here and would help to avoid any misunderstandings.

Of course, if a waypoint is only available to students and school staff - it is definitely "school grounds" (K12) and such waypoints are beyond any discussion.

Below are the most important examples of the debatable nominations for which I am asking for a decision - whether it is K12 or not.

1. "Good places to exercises" - Facilities that may have separate hours of availability for students, separate for "ordinary people"

the pitch / complex of pitches / swimming pool - in a fenced area together with a school building

the pitch / complex of pitches / swimming pool - not fenced, next to a school (fenced or not)

the pitch / complex of pitches / swimming pool - fenced with a separate fence, next to a school (fenced or not)

2. "Good places to exercise" - Facilities, no designated access hours for students - all the time available to "ordinary people"

• skate park / playground / outdoor gym - in a fenced area together with a school building

• skate park / playground / outdoor gym - not fenced, next to a school (fenced or not)

• skate park / playground / outdoor gym - fenced with a separate fence, next to a school (fenced or not)

3. "Great place to explore" - Facilities, without designated access hours for students - all the time available to "ordinary people"

public library - in a fenced area together with a school building

public library - not fenced, in the same building as a school, but with a separate entrance directly from the pavement

public library - unfenced, in a building with a common wall with the unfenced school building.

church or chapel - not fenced, in the same building as a school, but with a separate entrance directly from the pavement

church or chapel - not fenced, in a building with a common wall with an unfenced school building.

Museum - in a school building, but with a separate entrance

Open-air museum - in a fenced area together with a school building

Open-air museum - next to a school, in an unfenced area

Monument / commemorative plaque / work of art / sculpture / cross - facility accessible from the public pavement while standing in front of an unfenced school building. The school is accessed directly from the public sidewalk.

Mural / commemorative plaque - on a school fence, placed on the outside of the fence, accessible from the public sidewalk when standing by the fence.

Clarifying which of the above places should be considered "K12 - school grounds" will make it much easier for wayfinders to nominate high quality POIs.

Post edited by NianticTintino-ING on
66 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• WanderDragon-INGWanderDragon-ING Posts: 10 ✭✭

The POI topic on the school ground or in the vicinity of the school is important. Historical boards could be, and school fields and playgrounds could not. I know portals in my area that are on the pavement next to the school, but not on its premises. We are talking about historical tables. You didn't have to enter the school grounds to capture the portal. And be smart here and write poems. This is unregulated and there should be strict guidelines on what to report and what better to leave alone.

• Robert4444-INGRobert4444-ING Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭

Plaques and monuments in areas "considered" K-12 are still being erased - all someone has to do is report it through the app. Too bad the fake POIs don't disappear as quickly.

One memorial plaque was a portal for over a year. The second was since of times OPR Recon. Although the commemorative plaques were on the school grounds, the portals were placed on the pavement before school .You didn't have to enter the school grounds to capture the portal. And some time ago, the portals were removed. Probably two months ago.

Probably these portals were disturbing to someone overzealous, who had never even been in the area. It is strange that portals that are many years old are removed so suddenly. After all, the company should care about the largest possible POI database.

This is also a problem and should be sorted out. .Check carefully what the player reports. Although it is difficult and practically impossible to do, but possible . Establish tougher penalties for those who repeatedly report fake nominations. But it's solution in the short term.

• auntergoaf-PGOauntergoaf-PGO Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

As sogNinjaman-ING said, everything on school grounds is ineligible.

・Children playground close school, separately fenced, opened for all children all time

Playgrounds for children only are considered K-12.

・Public Library fenced together with school building - but opened all time for all people

If the fence is meant to mark the school grounds, it is ineligible.

・Sculptures accessible from the public pavement while standing in front of an unfenced school building. (The school is accessed directly from the public sidewalk)

If this sculpture is on school grounds, it is ineligible even if it could be accessed from a sidewalk off school grounds.

Post edited by auntergoaf-PGO on
  • LerionMW-INGLerionMW-ING Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

hmm... I completely different understand what @sogNinjaman-ING wrote ..... Either I understand English wrong, or you read it wrong. Or we all got something wrong.

For me , in example, an unfenced school which is entered from the street has its "area" only in the building, and what is in front of the entrance is not "on the school grounds". And I understood that @sogNinjaman-ING thinks so too. As I can see, you think the opposite.

And that is why I believe that it is worth explaining in AMA what it means "at school".

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

・Children playground close school, separately fenced, opened for all children all time

Playgrounds for children only are considered K-12.

That's new to me, I thought that playground outside of schools were OK. Just for the simple fact that all of the playgrounds that I've ever seen are always for kids <18 and according to this comment all of them would be invalid.

So I agree that people still don't know what are the rules that must be applied related to K-12 and not related to multi-accounter but due to people that are worried that the K-12 rule is being abused to remove valid wayspots.

• auntergoaf-PGOauntergoaf-PGO Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

There was a problem with my wording, the general playground where children play with their parents is ok.

Secondary school (15+), no fence, by the main town promenade, with benches for anyone who wants to relax. In this place several meters high monument of the school patron. It was removed from game. K-12 is not black and white. And removal is so simple.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the thing to consider is whether it's a place designed for parents leave their children in the care of others.

At a public park or apartment complex, strangers walking by are commonplace.

At a public school, or place of worship, strangers hanging around are suspicious.

For example, Sunday School teachers take children to the church playground. Also, that church could have preschool or kindergarten during the week. These teachers are likely trained on what to do if a stranger is hanging around - like call the police. Could be a non-custodial parent, or who knows what scary.