Clarification for cemeteries and military bases

LukeAllStars-INGLukeAllStars-ING Posts: 4,625 Ambassador
edited March 2022 in April AMA - 2022

How should we review nominations on active cemeteries or military bases?

Obviously, this question is based on generally eligible objects such as central places of worship or playgrounds.

Whats about non active cemeteries or cemeteries that are meant for exploring.

Post edited by NianticTintino-ING on
8 votes

New · Last Updated

Comments

• Fosveny-INGFosveny-ING Posts: 28 ✭✭✭

Military bases has already been answered by Niantic multiple times. First, the answer was "they're fine", later it turned into a blanket reject, because so much of the community can't get to them.

Can we please not keep flipping that decision?

• Tntnnbltn-INGTntnnbltn-ING Posts: 809 Ambassador

@Fosveny-ING Not sure if you missed it, but November 2021, "exceptions" were already added to the blanket rejection, so you may have missed a 'flip'.

"Please take heed we still stand with the ineligibility of Wayspots inside military bases in general and private residential properties are definitely a no-no.

HOWEVER, there are exceptions to this ruling i.e. if it's a park or public area that is open to the residents or the general public in the military base it will meet our eligibility criteria."

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/comment/129738#Comment_129738

• CipherBlakk-PGOCipherBlakk-PGO Posts: 309 ✭✭✭✭

Is there some additional context to the question? For bases I would think you review ... exactly the same as you review anything else. Being a gated community hasn't ever changed that.

Not sure what a non-active cemetery is? Have they removed the bodies? For cemeteries meant for exploring, I would personally be content with proper justification and evidence, assuming the POI is also a real-world POI according to whoever set up the cemetery for exploration. I've not actually encountered these in real life, so I don't know what kind of places they are, assuming they exist.

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once submitted the grave of the author of Alice in Wonderland where the church/graveyard owners had put up a sign and arrow pointing to the grave. So that kind of matches what you was asking if only for a single POI.

Of course it was rejected...

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve appealed cemeteries & Niantic has accepted them so we need a better answer as to what is acceptable & what is not

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont fully understand the exploring thing, but I know I know in Glasgow we have the necropolis in the city center, they do "ghost tours", there (as far as I'm aware) is not going to be anymore burials in it, its open at all times for people to walk/run through. It was even used for filming of the last scene from the batman. That's probably one I would say is open for exploring

• Additionally,

Application of the "No Cemeteries" rule seems inconsistent between Niantic games.

In Denver, CO, USA, we have a very large cemetery (280 acres), Fairmount (official address 430 S Quebec St, Denver, CO 80247), with many non-grave memorials and monuments that appear in Ingress, but do not appear in Pokemon Go.

Yet, across town, at Crown Hill Cemetery (240 acres, official address 7777 W 29th Ave, Lakewood, CO 80215), there are PoIs that appear in both games.

This inconsistency is confusing and frustrating.

• JojenReed64-PGOJojenReed64-PGO Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Whoever operates/maintains the cemetery with Ingress portals only may have requested that Niantic remove the PokemonGo content from that location.

We have a cemetery in Greensboro, NC that used to have five gyms and several stops. It was also considered to be a city park and located in an old residential neighborhood near downtown. Trainers used to volunteer time to help clean up the area. However, trainers were also there at all hours of the day and night. Nearby residents did not appreciate that. In the end Niantic was asked to remove the stops and gyms (but they still exist as portals).

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of these places are public. Niantic needs to make a statement between public & private. They’re confused on the matter. If a public cemetery requests no POI’s it shouldn’t be that hard for Niantic to file that in case other submissions are made for the same cemetery. This should also be public. They need to make a list of cemeteries that are private &/or considered unsubmittable. If there was a list it would help out those of us who are trying to help improve the games. They need to list places that are blacklisted from submissions. How are we supposed to know? Some of these places have public memorials & monuments, etc that could & should be POI in game. I am all for teaching people who visit places to learn about the area their visiting. This platform is to get people to go out & get exercise. A lot of cemeteries (that are public) are walkable & are great places to get exercise & explore. Niantic needs to punish those who violate rules better. City officials should not have to create a statement to stop ignorant people from doing stupid things while visiting a cemetery. People do things that are ignorant everywhere though. This is the real truth. These places that are significant to their community & are not listed as unsubmittable should be able to be submitted if they meet criteria & will teach visitors about the area. Something needs done to improve the entire platform on this topic