"Upload Later" Feature Now In Ingress! - Discussion

NianticTintino-INGNianticTintino-ING Posts: 1,103 admin
edited June 2022 in General Discussion

Hello Explorers,

Exciting new update! If you haven't noticed yet, the "Upload Later" feature has been shipped in Ingress! Check out the images below for reference:

Safe Exploring!

Post edited by NianticTintino-ING on
Tagged:

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,131 Ambassador

Awesome! When do we get it in Pikmin & Transformers. 😂

• TheZodiac007-PGOTheZodiac007-PGO Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Staff is probably thinking when Harry Potter: Wizards Unite does 😂 😆 😹 😝 🤪 🤣

• Cowboygenius-PGOCowboygenius-PGO Posts: 118 ✭✭

The issue with no new system (and the only issue) is you can save the nomination photo to your phone. This allows you to take a picture of a little free library at a correct spot. The photo is now saved on your phone. That person than can mark a different location (mostly there home) and make it look as the nomination is there when it is on the other side of town. I have seen people use the same plaque in different spots with different titles. People marking church's at old buildings that are already marked at the correct location. I ofcorse notice this but some reviewers may not. I do not thinking saving the picture to your phone, or uploading from your phone should be a option. Why would you need to upload a picture when you are at that spot to take a picture?

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trouble is, you may not always have good enough signal to submit a nomination at any given location, so being able to upload it from somewhere that does have signal is a good thing.

Also, they never actually fixed the glitch where the app would simply crash on some phones when trying to take a photo of a wayspot. No matter what I try, my phone is among those affected by this bug, and so my only way of submitting is to take the photos outside of the Pokémon Go app and then use the existing photos option within the game to submit.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,131 Ambassador

I went out and submitted a bunch of stuff at the weekend (okay, mostly trailmarkers with long titles) and the signal there was so bad that every now and then the option to nominate was not on either app I was using, and the apps sometimes would stall and not reopen.

When they did and the nominate buttons appeared I was able to take photos, garble some text and hit upload later, which meant I could then add on WiFi at my convenience at home with a lovely stable connection.

Also did the same with the 360 camera to ensure these trailmarkers in the middle of the woods don’t get Mismatched Location.

So I find Upload Later very useful. I do still have some trailmarkers where, even though I could do a 360 photo well enough, the signal just wasn’t, so I’ll do those as remote nominations later today as I took the photos still.

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great new feature but....it needs some work.

With a bad signal it can still hang or take minutes to go through and say that's it's saved to upload later, as long as it would take to fail an upload before.

I have a theory that even with the upload later option the client (pogo/ingress/etc on the phone) has to talk to Niantics servers to count how many submissions you have left or to subtract one. So it's still impossible to submit something if your particular cell provider doesn't have a good coverage on that area.

If the submission count was local, I guess it could be abused but that could easily be spotted. I think the way around this is to provide the phone some 'tokens' that allow a handful of submissions with no talking to the servers, which once submissions get uploaded those tokens get used. Obviously not exceeding your current submission count when your phone last collected the remaining submissions number.

Tap to pay phones use a similar system where they can be used 2 or 3 times where there is no signal but need to talk to provider to get more tokens to use when signal-less again

Struggled to submit some woodland walk submissions and that's with a dual SIM phone using different providers just to help submissions when my main SIM has no signal

• oscarc1-INGoscarc1-ING Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tried it out and had somewhat similar experiences to the above, though my reception wasn't as bad. Would be good to see a few of the hangs up above be sorted, though I primarily didn't see the Nominations button in the menu a couple of times, but it did pop up after a while.

Also was hoping that the image shown would be the one you have submitted, not of the existing portal photo. But that's okay, took half a second to get used to what it displays lol

The function worked pretty well, it was nice not to have to worry about connections speeds and whether a nomination goes through or not! It doesn't seem to have a distance limit either, which is great!

Pretty happy with it and will probably continue using this as the main method.

• AkceptorUA-INGAkceptorUA-ING Posts: 86 Ambassador

Yep. It looks like it doesn't work for the completely offline mode.

How about letting people saving submission and then checking if you can actually submit it once back online? I mean even if someone has no free submission attempts yet it would be nice to allow creating the submission.

Sometimes people have a chance to investigate a nice area but they run out of submission attempts (sometimes I'd even pay for additional attempts) and sometimes we just have nothing to spend them for. So why not separate creating nominations and actually uploading them?

They can’t do that because of legal issues that can arise. The cellular service is what factors in as well, & Niantic has no control over that.

What I recommend is just; upload when you have wifi or better service. I recommend not uploading until you have better service. Then you can go in & edit them immediately after uploading. The only real issue I’ve encountered is that after you upload sometimes they aren’t immediately visible on Wayfarer. I believe this is what truly needs fixed because of the immediate need to edit if you didn’t upon uploading. This is the only reason that this can go wrong. I normally try to explain everything upon originally drafting as an upload later because I’m afraid that somehow it could never show on wayfarer or show up but instantly go into voting. In the past I remember issues similar to this arising. I normally edit the description & supporting info completely to its entirety. The only time I edit after uploading is when I’m in a hurry or when I submit multiple things at once

I agree with this though. They should be saved no matter what even when you’re out of nominations

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once Niantic makes queueing more fair, the places that take a year will be averaged with the places that go into voting right away. That will take away the instances where things go into voting right away (while taking away the instances where things take a year to get into voting). Problem solved!

• exculcator-INGexculcator-ING Posts: 67 ✭✭✭

I've got a submission from 2018 that is still not in voting, and just languishing away in the queue. It's a park. In the meantime, somebody else has submitted not only a children's slide inside the park, but also a swing set, and had both accepted, which appalls me, but it is what it is. But I'm buggered if I'm going to withdraw this nomination at this point!

Maybe you should resubmit & just leave the old one too & see what happens.

• RufoBM-INGRufoBM-ING Posts: 3 ✭✭

It's cool that adition of Upload Later!!... Some times de conection it's poor and cause error un the submit!!

• RufoBM-INGRufoBM-ING Posts: 3 ✭✭

You can Review more Wayspot on Wayfarer to gain Upgrade tour older submittions, i been did that and allí My submittions Go ti vote quickly.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RufoBM-ING If someone has a nomination still In Queue from 2018, it's a Niantic bug.

Don't blame the victim by saying they should do more reviews. I'll bet @exculcator-ING does tons of reviews.

@MargariteDVille-ING i had liked his comment but you made me realize I was wrong in doing so. @RufoBM-ING, @MargariteDVille-ING is correct it’s a bug. I didn’t mean to give you false hope. The upload later feature is just so we don’t have to struggle so much to submit things like we did in the past. Especially in places with little to no cellular service so we can upload them when we can connect to wifi, if need be.

• jontebula-INGjontebula-ING Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Love it and help in location i cant send in with Ingress on mobile internet connection.

Nice if Niantic work to update the bug with we cant send in on mobile data or mobile connection if we have full connection. We never have the problem or bug in old Ingress 1

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

@NianticTintino-ING

This is one of the things I have been waiting for about this feature.

But now, when I tried to use it, I see the following undesirable symptoms.

I have heard about this from friends, but these are alarming symptoms.

I am sure that other wayfinders have already reported this symptom to you, but I think it should be fixed as soon as possible, so I am reporting it to you as well.

(1) After uploading, the waiting period before becoming "IN VOTING" is unusually short. (ABOUT 3 MINUTES)

(2) Due to the unusually short waiting period, there is virtually no time to modify the title, description, and supplemental information.

(3) Therefore, there is a strong risk that the number of nominations with critically deficient titles, descriptions, and supplemental information will increase rapidly in the future.

(4) Without a minimum 24-hour waiting period before "IN VOTING", the quality of nominations will deteriorate and wayfinder grades will drop. (I submitted two of the four nominations I was planning to edit later, with two of them being rejected due to low quality titles)

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Im torn about a delay but a few times it would have been handy for the reasons stated above.

The best option would be a tick box to say you don't want the current submission to go straight in to the voting queue. Kind of a temporary on hold queue.

Then either 48 hours after submission it automatically goes in to the voting queue or after you edit and tick an option to put it in the queue. Whichever of those criteria hits first.

You could do it straight after an edit but personally I have edited a few times in a row after spotting a typo after the first edit.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

I think that’s an idea worth considering,

I’ve had a few to review recently that are reasonable POI, but have very obviously the text boxes had a place marker a couple even said later, and I’m sure the submitter was annoyed they had gone to in voting before they had time to do a proper submission.

• MoogModular-INGMoogModular-ING Posts: 73 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a RAM management or permission issue with the OS because usually the app has a permission to save the data from the camera. The crash that happens when switching back to the app is like an IO error and doesn't retain the image in data.

• AhGddvc-INGAhGddvc-ING Posts: 44 ✭✭

I have just experienced this very same issue, having returned from a walking weekend I uploaded roughly 40 nominations, 6 of which went into voting before I had time to put them on hold and fill in the details, wasting everyone's time 😪.

@NianticCasey-ING @NianticTintino Is it possible to move those 6 back to the HOLD please, before they get rejected ?

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

I decided to use the HOLD function.

Even if the description or title is not sufficient, I upload it once immediately, then log into Wayfarer and HOLD it.

Then when I get home I go over the details and fill them in before releasing.

Currently this is the best way to nominate on a trip.

I agree! It’s a great feature. Hopefully more people learn about this way as they go

This is also my preferred mode of operation, but sometimes the signal in an area isn't good enough to upload so just have to wait until after the trip. Really needs a preference setting of always submit on hold. So you can control when things are ready to review

edited June 2022

That should have been a feature that was added a long time ago. I always hold mine until I know I’ll be able to edit them & then I upload & have to wait for them to appear. All that has to be done is to just create a setting that just suspends them from going into voting where you can hold your nominations to give you time to edit. I always thought that there should be a countdown on nominations telling us when they’re going into voting too so we could know to make any last minute touches to nominations. I see a lot of errors & always wonder if someone’s nomination went into voting before they could fix their nomination. Either way I agree with you. A hold/suspend option needs to be there. It would be nice for us to also see a countdown. It would be great if we could see the statistical data on nominations so we could learn how many votes we need for them to be accepted. How many days are basically left until it is pushed through too. I’d love it if they would just make the vote tallies public where we can see the numbers on the vote count. Regardless, the future looks great fingers crossed

I doubt there could be a countdown as it has always been maintained that the choice of which go into voting next is random to avoid abuse.

I suspect the "time" the nomination is stamped with is the time you take it, not the time you upload it. So if you have several stored on your device for a couple of days there is a good chance some will go straight into voting as the system will probably calculate the age in queue from the taken date, not the upload date.