Nomination Got Rejected - Completely disagree with reason so need more clarity if resubmitting

258 days later my nomination got rejected, know there is a backlog so the time isn't really an issue here. The decision was however, as I am usually quite detailed in my nominations.

On the email, the reason it got rejected was:

'Nomination does not meet acceptance criteria. The real-world location of the nomination appears to be on private residential property or farm, Nomination title or description is not relevant.'

On the website, the reason the nomination got rejected was:

'Private Residence or Farm' and 'Other Rejection Criteria'

???

Notice the difference in rejection reasons? They are not synching up. But that's a different issue entirely.

I am convinced the reviewer(s) made a mistake and/or didn't check out all the supporting evidence provided, see below.

Title of the Wayspot: Bolehill Quarry Allotments - Bolehill Rec Entrance

City: Sheffield

Screenshot of the Rejection Email:

Photos to support your claim:

1. Attached screenshot of allotment on Sheffield City Council website following the link I supplied as supporting information.
  2. Attached screenshot of allotment Satellite View following the Google Maps link I supplied as supporting information.

Additional information:

1. It is on the official city council website, link provided within original nomination (https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/home/parks-sport-recreation/allotments).
  2. It is listed on Google Maps as a proper place link provided within original nomination (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bolehill+Quarry+Allotments/@53.3917658,-1.5087533,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x487978a32cf8e56b:0xc3511697bb0e4f0b!8m2!3d53.3917626!4d-1.5065646) or search for 'Bolehill Quarry Allotments'

Bolehill Rec is the Recreation Ground, that is the main and only entrance to the allotment. You can see this in the supplied photo as well as the satellite view (if you zoom in and tilt, you can see the main photo supplied within the Recreation Ground) on Google Maps.

All other allotment / community gardens nominations that followed the same format was accepted fine with no issues so why is this one any different?

Need more clarity if even thinking about resubmitting this again. Got to be honest, feel kinda deflated and 2 months on from receiving rejection email only now posting this.

What more information, or supporting information, do I need? Is it meant to be this difficult? As a reviewer, thought the quality of nomination and supporting information was good enough to make an informed decision.

Anyway, any insight would be useful.

Ps. It's a shame Appeals aren't being considered right now as I don't understand why this one was rejected.

Tagged:

Comments

• Thanks for the appeal, @Isitmoi-PGO! We're currently not reviewing PokéStop submissions. Please resubmit the nomination by improving its location if you feel that it was a valid nomination.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

The allotments exist - no problem and the sub should be good as you have a nice named sign

BUT. The problem is the location of your pin. It is difficult to separate out the gardens behind the houses from the allotments, there are no obvious roads or tracks there. You have popped it in the middle of the allotments, and looking at Streetmap and Satallite View, I can't see an obvious entrance to the allotment site where the pin could be and where there is access for people wanting to interact with the POI. I would mark this as a "mismatched location" nomination.

The pin needs to be where the sign is. I'm guessing there is some pedestrian access or allotment entrance at the south- west end of the site, with a gate to which this sign is attached. Make a photosphere of the access, making sure the POI / sign and gate is clearly visible and upload it to Google maps so reviewers can easily see the location of the sign. When it is uploaded, resubmit and say "Please see photosphere for location confirmation" or similar.

• 812SuperfastAce-PGO812SuperfastAce-PGO Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

Just wait for the December update to appeal it directly to Niantic. This is a 99.99% pass

• Isitmoi-PGOIsitmoi-PGO Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your reply.

To your points:

Photosphere is too much work especially if there is already enough information to make an informed decision. Can only assume the reviewer(s) just ignored the supporting information in the original nomination.

Shouldn't be this hard.

Thanks for reply.

This is amazing news to hear! Even better considering all those users who are no longer in their original nomination location, saves them having to resubmit when physically not able to do so.

---

Reads Niantic reply about resubmission.

Me: "I know, let's travel 110 miles back to resubmit the nomination" /s

---

Thanks again, looking forward to this new feature.

That is great news! Looking forward to this event. Especially useful when it is difficult to resubmit - as not all users live in the location where they nominate. Or have moved on.

Thanks Niantic for improving the system. I do have a number of other suggestions for improvement - is there a particular community section I can post these thoughts?

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are going to use the sign as an anchor point for the allotment, then the pin has to go where the sign is, not 50m away. That's not how Waypoint locations are meant to work. If the sign in the photo is located at the corner of the allotments in your link, that's where the pin must be. There is no doubt the allotments exist, the supporing info confirms this and a look at the Sat View does too. The doubt is "where is that anchor point" located.

If a Photosphere is "too much work" then why complain if you put the pin 50m away from the location and then complain about having your submission rejected?

Thanks for your reply.

In response going to try and not be combative, or argumentative here, but instead refer you to my original post and subsequent replies that follows.

The key highlights being:

• the nomination in question was taken 341 days ago still during the pandemic
    • the allotments were closed due to this (there is even a notice in one of the photos about covid closures, you may need to zoom in) - in fact the allotments would have been closed anyway because it was during Christmas week
    • all my other allotment nominations that follow the same pattern (anchor points) as this one got accepted - only this one did not get
    • none of them use photospheres
    • the google map markers are all set at the middle of these various allotments not by any welcome signs or noticeboards (i.e. something identifiable I chose)
    • so nomination is about the welcome sign which falls under the eligibility criteria (unless you're saying I take a photo of a random plot at the center of these allotments to align where the Google Map Marker has been placed - I feel that would have a higher fail rate somehow)
    • there is no noticeboard for this allotment only the zip tied bag of paper and notices by the entrance sign (see photo) otherwise I would have nominated that

Photosphere - so you want me to travel over 100 miles back to a place I don't live just to resubmit the wayspot again? Very much my definition of 'too much work'. i can't believe you don't think that's unreasonable. Unless I can claim back the petrol expenses from yourself or even Niantic. /s And even then your suggestion is no guarantee of the nomination being accepted. Unless you are the actual reviewer if I ever decide to resubmit it. Then let's go, I'll hop in the car now. /s

Now, if I was reading this a different way... you are basically recommending 'breaking and entering' into a closed venue just to take a photosphere that matches up with the Google Map Marker? Are you really telling me to break the law here?

>The doubt is "where is that anchor point" located.

Not really the Google maps feature is pretty good. Especially on the review screen if you click on the Google name within the map embed it opens up a new browser tab onto Google Maps website itself and you have access to more features to make a reasonable judgement. I think that's where we are - at the end of the day I do not believe best judgement was used, and you can tell that with the conflicting rejection reasons (both on the email and on the website itself).

>'If the sign in the photo is located at the corner of the allotments in your link, that's where the pin must be. '

100% that is what I've done here and the right approach so I'm confused what your disagreement here is.

The only question I have left for you is... were you the original reviewer of my nomination? /s

Merry Christmas you filthy animal! ;)

Looking back on this post, it's clear that Google Maps didn't help with this submission. Where the allotments are when you do a Google Search (or even on Google Maps) they show a photo of some houses that sit in front of the allotments. Can't wait drones to be used with Street View so this some of thing won't be an issue anymore.

As a result, reviewers who are inexperienced/solely rely on Google Maps to be 100% correct/don't think outside the box would instantly reject this submission as private residence or farm.

Out of interest, what's the timeline for appeals? Appealed this in-game in December when it was first introduced. Is this the how long is a piece of string answer?

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kinda yeah. They didn't start reviewing appeals until the middle of February. In my local area I've seen four get resolved since then, and know of two more in review (one is mine and one is another community member, who is funnily enough appealing a rejected allotment submission, but their allotments don't have a sign which makes things trickier). Just be patient and they'll get to it eventually.

Thanks for that update. Wow, middle of February... at least managing user expectations. Better comms than no comms.

• Natanael-PGONatanael-PGO Posts: 9 ✭✭

I've been running into the same issue with literally EVERYTHING I've submitted. Permanent buildings rejected as temporary / seasonal, objects rejected as duplicates when there is no duplicate, rejected as wrong classification when I was super careful with classification, rejected as private land when it's public.

Not a single submission I made got approved. Since I reached lvl 38 and could make submissions I sent in a few a week for a while, and reviewed other submissions on the site. Now I see no reason whatsoever to keep contributing because whoever is in charge is blatantly incompetent.

• VladDraco-PGOVladDraco-PGO Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

Hi @Natanael-PGO and welcome to the Wayfarer forum.

We have a dedicated channel for helping contributers with their nominations

https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/categories/nomination-improvement-advice

Your nomination are not reviewed by "whoever is in charge" but by a hundred or so more experienced contributers of your area/country.

Before making more unsuccessfulls nomination, maybe read carefully the eligibility criterias. In short great places to explore, socialize or exercise. And the rejection criterias.

Don't give up. The first submissions aren't easy for anyone. Mine were terribles, I've made so many mistakes, in good faith. Keep going and good game(s) !

Hi @Natanael-PGO

Welcome to the Wayfarer Community Forum and my post. 😀

Don't worry, like @VladDraco-PGO said we all start off the same. Can't tell you how frustrated I was when things were getting rejected almost all the time so I completely understand and share your pain.

A lot of people, on here, helped me write better nominations with a much higher chance of success and they can help you too. Just upload your screenshots of what you nominated to the section Vlad mentioned above and the Community will help you. I guarantee it.

Also, you have a chance to appeal rejected nominations so it's never the end. You will find a lot of people got things approved on appeal so there are still opportunities available to you.

Good luck.

• Natanael-PGONatanael-PGO Posts: 9 ✭✭

I did try appeal the most obvious mistaken rejections (like the false private land claim), didn't help. Rejected again. I might try posting screenshots of my submissions, but it doesn't feel like it's worth the effort anymore.