Wayfarer 4.7 Release Notes

NianticTintino-INGNianticTintino-ING Posts: 1,103 admin
edited April 2022 in Release Notes

Here’s what’s new in our Wayfarer 4.7 Release! 

• HOLD feature is now active. You’ll now be able to HOLD nominations that are not yet in VOTING. You’ll also be able to make edits to your held nominations and withdraw them too. You can also RELEASE HOLD when you’re ready to serve it back to the community. 
  • Older Contributions Review. You will now start to get some of the older contributions that have still to be decided on in your review page. These will continue to be based on your most recently played location. 

We hope these new changes will help make your Explorer experience better!

Thanks and Safe Exploring!

Post edited by NianticTintino-ING on
Tagged:

Comments

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Well this makes the post I made in General Discussion look silly, once it gets approved from having pictures on it 😅

Thanks for shipping this feature! This will help reduce clogging up an area from too many submissions at once and allow additional time to fine-tune our text or upload photospheres.

• TheQutestOfBorg-PGOTheQutestOfBorg-PGO Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to using the Hold feature. I love researching my nominations thoroughly and communicating all the interesting facts to the reviewers. Thank you for making this very useful improvement.

• Himillsy-PGOHimillsy-PGO Posts: 172 ✭✭✭✭

will be using the hold feature lots. also hope i can help some older noms that have been sitting around forever to go through. thank you!

• BlameJamal-INGBlameJamal-ING Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

Great feature @NianticTintino looking forward to interacting with it. #MeetYouOutThere

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm curious about what would be considered an "older contribution".

Hoping for more development along the way.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you roll back the Niantic Social integration? I noticed when I logged in earlier that I was able to access my Niantic profile from my Wayfarer profile page, but that isn't listed in these release notes and the link isn't there now.

• Taurenpally-PGOTaurenpally-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭

Can we get a option to have all subs placed on hold so we dont have to do it to each one and once we are happy release them :) Thanks

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I'm very interested in the specifics of that as well, presumably it depends on the pool you're drawing from too. Should be an improvement no matter how it's implemented though.

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

Older Contributions Review. You will now start to get some of the older contributions that have still to be decided on in your review page. These will continue to be based on your most recently played location. 

I've seen three "redacted" era nominations tonight, so its great to see that older nominations are being prioritized, however, none of them were from my recently played location as this announcement indicates.

One was from Washington DC (my bonus location), and the other two were from a zoo in Omaha, Nebraska, which I (from Florida) am nowhere near, do not have a location set to, and have never been to. I'm happy to see these old reviews but you may have a bug on your hands if that truly isn't intended @NianticTintino

It boggles my mind that Redacted nominations are still in the system. Buuut the more I think about it, that makes sense in an area where they could have remained in queue for over a year while being blocked by other nomination(s) that took a year or longer to be approved without upgrade.

For those unaware, "Redacted" nominations come from a discontinued support version of Ingress. The last day this app could be used was September 30, 2019. Visually, they are distinct while reviewing because they do not have a supporting photo or text.

• ... so like... having a switch that you can turn on or off that allows you to automatically have all nominations on hold without the option to submit if you have the feature turned on?

• StevensDs-PGOStevensDs-PGO Posts: 35 ✭✭

I don't understand the second feature. Does it mean my older submissions will go into voting first?

That sounds great and all but lately I've seen new nominations go into voting without Upgrades (Which has NEVER happened before) while I still have a 2020 nomination just sitting there. Obviously the same "No Upgrade=No Resolution" rule still apply here 'cause just because is "In Voting" doesn't really mean I'll get a resolution on say nomination unless I upgrade it.

Also, can we have an option to turn off Auto-Upgrades?? Nobody likes that, literally nobody...

• holdthebeer-INGholdthebeer-ING Posts: 199 ✭✭✭✭

"HOLD" option is good and maybe great and thank you wayfarer team, but what I really need is an option to disable automatic upgrades. Do not apply random upgrades when nomination is in queue or already in voting.

A switch to disable the automatic allocation of upgrades every 100 agreements would be fantastic. This method is really along the same lines as implementing this hold feature.

But there might be an interesting predicament to this if you do implement a default switch. Imagine not having access to Wayfarer (for whatever reasons, banned, suspended, etc.) and instead of having all the nominations go naturally into voting, all of them are indefinitely in HOLD status so no one ever sees the spam of nominations because the abuser suspended Wayfinder can't log into their Wayfarer to release them.

• You'll just start seeing more of the older undecided nominations come into your feel. Not necessarily the oldest ever in your region to show up first. It'll be a mix.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

would the (presumably abusive) held noms from suspended account cause any problems though? I guess I'm not sure whether they still have a place in the queue while held or if they're removed from it. Unless they gum up the works somehow them never going into voting sounds like a good thing.

I wouldn't think so. Being held is as if they never existed and wouldn't clog up queues.

But considering that they are still looking at "trends", a shadowban Wayfarer punishment might actually prove to be more effective than slapping the reviewer's hand.

• Roli112-PGORoli112-PGO Posts: 2,236 Ambassador

@NianticTintino I dk what the plans, visions ideas are for the holding upgrades are... but im personally very intrigued with the idea of a "do not upgrade" button on each nomination.

I struggle decidibg which nomination to upgrade as here in LA they all need upgrading... but theres a handful thay i know for sure I dont want upgraded.

Maybe for simplicity sake, thats the best option that doesnt require a full workaround on upgrades.

• cacoethescrbndi-INGcacoethescrbndi-ING Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

Not 100% sure I’m following your wording here (mainly the last part), so I’ll just clarify what would be great for me as an Explorer:

My own ideal submission flow would be to upload a sort of “rough draft” with the photos, location, and basic text to Wayfarer in-game (or via a WF app, even better) while I’m on the go. Then later on when I’m home and have time, I can log in to Wayfarer to update the submission with better text, refine the location, and maybe even switch out one or both photos. Once everything looks good to me, I can send it to the Queue.

Being able to set each nomination to “On Hold” for that revision stage is a great first step, and I’ve already used it! I tend to go on little nomination trips in spurts, so it’d be even more helpful to have some way to mass-On-Hold my incoming nominations. Ways I can imagine this working: a) as suggested, a toggle on my Wayfarer profile to default new incoming nominations to On Hold (but not ones I’ve already uploaded), b) an option in-game when submitting to choose if you want to send something straight to the Queue or just to On Hold on the WF site, or c) a way to multi-select nominations on the Contributions page and apply or remove Hold for all selected nominations.

There’s pros and cons to each of those, but I’d love any of them. I currently have a massive “Potential Submissions” folder on my phone full of photos of things I wanted to submit but didn’t have time to make nice on the go. I never get around to submitting those (years later still) because I not only have to go through all the photos and make sure I have the right one for main and supporting, but I also need to remember the exact location and fiddle around on the tiny submission map to get back to where I was (if I’m even still close enough)—and then write up all the text for it too.

So I love the On Hold option, and I’d love to make it even easier to use for larger batches of submissions or even just set as my personal default. (I’d also love to edit location and photos for my submissions from the Contributions page, if we’re talking feature wish lists 🙏)

Anyway, I can’t possibly say how great a QoL improvement the Hold feature already is, and I’m hopeful about getting older nominations resolved finally too. I know L.A. certainly could use it at least! Baby steps, but looks like some good things for Wayfarer in this update. :)

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

It would be really nice if we could remove an upgrade next like we could remove a hold, in case we accidently upgrade the wrong thing or change our mind about what we want to upgrade next.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@NianticTintino

There are often requests to disable the automatic application of upgrades, but this HOLD feature will eliminate the problem since you can do it in the order you want your nominees to be nominated.

If possible, please extend the scope of review to all regions that use the same language, rather than limiting it to regions. (This should almost solve the problem of nominations in low-density areas where review results are not returned forever due to insufficient number of reviewers.)

If this is not possible, then the range to which all nominations are reviewed should be equivalent to the upgraded nominations.

Instead, we ask that nominations with upgrades applied be judged only by GREAT ranked reviewers.

This way, high-quality nominations will not be needlessly rejected, and low-quality nominations will not be approved with the connivance of the local abusive community.

As a result, we can create a field of high-quality wayspots.

• Nadiwereb-PGONadiwereb-PGO Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hold feature will not "eliminate the problem" of automatic upgrades. This feature will remove the nomination from the review pool, so there's still no way to mark a nomination as "I want this in the review pool, just not upgraded".

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the contrary I do not understand why you do not want to upgrade the next candidate.

At least in my wayspot nominations I don't see any difference between those two other than the speed to approval.

I believe that the story about upgrades being more likely to be rejected is subjective and misunderstood by nominators, but if you really think that is the case, that can be resolved by a reviewer with a GREAT rank.

• DEMARTIN0-PGODEMARTIN0-PGO Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭

By not having a supporting photo or text is it just text that goes with the supporting or also the description text under the title? Just double checking because I voted on two earlier with no description under title so 2* that part.

On a "Redacted" nomination ("Redacted being the app name, not a statement on withheld nomination information), there will be no supporting (second) photo or the supplemental text.

Note that descriptions are not required for a nomination. Nominations through the Redacted app didn't require descriptions, so they were much less common "in the old days." Even up until a recent Wayfarer update, descriptions could be removed from the Wayfarer website.

• DEMARTIN0-PGODEMARTIN0-PGO Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the reply. No idea it was an app name ha. They were not exactly descriptive on the title. Like one was "Park Pavilion" and another "Playground" with no description. That was the real reason for the 2*. Probably should have 1* that section. But I will keep what you said in mind when reviewing.