Incentivizing Wayfarer - Discussion

Hello Explorers,

Please use this space to share your thoughts about the Incentivizing Wayfarer goal mentioned in the Message from your Wayfarer Ambassadors post.

Feel free to pose questions, share ideas, feedback, etc.

Safe Exploring!

Tagged:

Comments

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

Incentivizing reviews or coordination of voting blocks through in-game rewards with a cash value - that's not an appealing concept to me, and I feel it will create more abuse opportunities. We definitely could use more tangible stats, visibility of Niantic Wayfarer Profiles on the Social pages. Maybe attach degrees/levels to Wayfarer actions on that profile only? In Ingress, the Wayfarer-based Recon badge level is visible to all, but the stats line for Portals Discovered is blocked when settings are made private. That's great, and all as it should be, but there should be an equal opportunity for Pokemon Go reviewers to flex as well. I'd love to see those Wayfarer profiles!

• Jenn9316-PGOJenn9316-PGO Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited April 2022

Twitter/ social media contests with IRL prizes. Great advertisment and public engagement to show non reviewers what the process looks like and prizes that appeal to those that don't want upgrades. Many discord groups do these already but official versions could reach further.

*Screenshot your favorite review and post to twitter for a chance to win t-shirts/merch/Google play cards

*Scavenger hunts - find a review of xyz and tweet it to enter for a chance at merch

• HINABITAMEU-INGHINABITAMEU-ING Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

Add one more application / Edit location limit relation(fixed term) etc....

• TohtoriJamba-PGOTohtoriJamba-PGO Posts: 12 ✭✭

This is based on my personal experience and I've said it earlier here in the forums but I think your rank can get down if you actively vote on wayspot nominations in short time, lets say 100 to 200 at least in a day, honey pot or not.

This is because your 1 review doesn't automatically mean that certain wayspot gets nominated. It needs handful of votes (5 or more?). Depending on the area, it might take a while. Until the vote gets result, it remains in a limbo of "unresolved" status. I strongly believe that these wayspots affects your rating negatively, as it has your vote but wont show up in statistics, thus equalling minus points until resolved.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the first step is asking: Why should people care about Wayfarer?

For most of the people they want more pokestops/portals around them their goal is the game that they play, other people enjoy nominating/reviewing Wayfarer is the game itself for them. And of course many people lay in the line between those points.

Can we get the proper answer here?

I doubt it, most of the people that stay in these forums is because Wayfarer is the meta game for them, so their opinions will be biased towards "better PoI" and not looking at the issue in the same way that other person that don't wanna spend their time dealing with foreign countries, very bad nominations and their nominations rejected for reasons that they can't understand.

If we're not able to look at the whole picture, then any outcome will focus just on a subset of all the people.

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

let´s just be clear: a badge doesnt do it.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree but I get the sense that the game teams more or less blow off the wayfarer team when they ask for things so I don't think we're going to get much more than that unless someone from much higher up at niantic intervenes.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

I think Wayfarer is not looking to recruit or keep new reviewers. There is no invitation with an explanation of what Wayfarer is. The voting categories are vague. The stars are vague. The desired / undesired results are vague (even if you do randomly find the criteria). How to select a rejection reason is vague. Reviewer rating is vague. It's vague why you run out of reviews. The award, an upgrade, is vague. If your nomination is rejected, it's vague why. And if your nomination is accepted, it's vague whether it will show up in your game.

I also think Wayfarer does not want good long-time reviewers. We see a mind-numbing amount of coal. (Niantic encourages coal with 40 nominations and no guidance. And it doesn't automate processes to prevent or pre-process it.) Our own singleton nominations don't move thru the system at all, even if we have a 90% acceptance rate, and 80% agreement rate, over the past year. There's no "attaboy" for being a good nominator (say, every 100 accepted), or reviewer (say, every 1000 agreements). If we review for years, then stop nominating and/or reviewing for a few months (or years), they don't care.

In other words, I don't know why Wayfarer made this post. They don't like any of us. 🤪

Wayfarer could emphasize its strengths. Why do you review anyway? I like seeing new places - learning science, history, and nature; admiring art and architecture. I like fiddling with the map to find the thing (such different terrain!). And googling, to learn more. I like to help an earnest nominator get something they like into a game. Someone, somewhere in the world, said, "Hey, look at this! It's cool!" And I wanna look.

What is Wayfarer's competition, for the attention of people who actually like to do things like this? I might switch to "global exploring" by searching satellite pictures for archaeological sites: https://www.ted.com/participate/ted-prize/prize-winning-wishes/globalxplorer

Post edited by MargariteDVille-ING on
  • Stephyypooke-INGStephyypooke-ING Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am curious what made the ambassadors choose this, Incentivizing Wayfarer, as a goal?

Are they seeing long turnaround times in their areas and they are looking to incentivize more reviewers to help?

Are there too many eligible things in their area to submit that it will take them forever to submit them all themselves and they want to incentivize fellow submitters to help?

Do they just want to share this activity they enjoy with more people?

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,535 Ambassador

Part of the reasoning is to encourage new participants, keep existing reviewers, and find ways to bring back those who thought they were done with their area.