Cooldowns Update - Discussion

NianticTintino-INGNianticTintino-ING Posts: 1,103 admin
edited June 2022 in General Discussion

Hello Explorers, in case you haven't noticed yet, we’ve made some changes to how cooldowns work and cooldown periods. 

Here's what you can expect: 

• If your Wayfinder rating is Great, cooldowns are reduced by 75% (e.g. 4 hrs to 1hr). 
  • If your Wayfinder rating is Poor to Good, cooldowns are reduced by 50% (e.g. 4 hrs to 2 hrs). 

We hope that this will be a small way to reward our good reviewers and encourage good reviewing overall. 

Check out the original post here.

Safe Exploring!

Post edited by NianticTintino-ING on
Tagged:

Comments

• Losifer026-INGLosifer026-ING Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭

Are the cooldown triggers relaxed too, or just the amount of time you’re cooled down?

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

I can't answer from the backend, but anecdotally many of my friends have reported the triggers being relaxed, as well.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
  • DEMARTIN0-PGODEMARTIN0-PGO Posts: 376 ✭✭✭✭

I think this is a mistake. People will be rushing without really reviewing in detail. 24hrs is brutal I know because I just got hit with my 1st one in over 3 months. Probably over 5,000 reviews.

• Liediawa-PGOLiediawa-PGO Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

It’s nice that the cooldowns have been shortened. However, I must point out that this cooldown appears more often.

I’ve never changed the way I rate. Despite a rating of “Good” I can only make 5-10 reviews since the changes and then have to wait for the cooldown again. It seems strange to me right now and it’s very frustrating.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done 23,055 reviews and have never had a cooldown. No reward for me!

• WanderDragon-INGWanderDragon-ING Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited April 2022

I noticed this a few days ago. Because I got it a couple of times. Is that a cool idea, maybe. I believe the reason for the cooldown should be explained because not everyone knows the cause. For me, there is probably a known reason, because I always get this message when I judge photo editing too quickly, which usually appear at the end of evaluating submissions. 

• TheQutestOfBorg-PGOTheQutestOfBorg-PGO Posts: 42 ✭✭✭

Do the current cooldown messages indicate a reason? Perhaps they just need to be a little more clear?

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

As long as I'm taking my time between rejects, I have never had a problem with rejecting a bunch in a row as long as I'm not using the same rejection reason every time.

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are three tests that I did between three different 1-hour cooldowns today. These first two I attempted with no minimum timing in-between (italics are 1-star reject reasons):

1: 4, loc, loc, 5, orc, dupe, 4, 3, 4, 5, loc, 3, 4, 4, orc, 4, 4, fake, 5 - cooldown (19)

2: 4, t&d, 5, 3, title, t&d, 5, 4, 3, 4, dupe, 3, 4, temp, 5, 4, loc, 4, title, orc - cooldown (also 19!)

This third time I attempted to review with the smart submit, spacing 13 to 17 seconds between each review.

3: prp, title, nat, 3, 2, dupe, t&d, temp, 3, 3, prp, 4, mloc, 4, 5, loc, 3, t&d, 3, 4, 3, orc, temp, 3, photo, mloc, 4, 4, 3, 2, dupe, temp, orc, 4, orc, 5, 4, loc, title, retry, retry, t&d, retry, photo, t&d, title, title, retry, retry, retry, retry... - endless retries after 44 reviews

Ok sure, maybe the lot of 3 and 4 stars might be considered "patterns" but I'm quite stingy with giving 5 stars to nominations. But the fact that the system will often back you up into endless "Please retry your request" prompts after a solid session of reviewing might mean that the system is not routing fast enough at the speed in which I review. Notice how when the retries start to happen, I was only getting title, description and photo edits to review. If I have numerous 4-star nominations in a row, I might vary it up or downwards, but I'm always varying the cultural significance/visually unique questions between each so they're unique enough.

But these tests were my personal observation that the cooldown is not fully dependent on the pattern or "canned responses", but it heavily monitors speed. So indeed, a "why?" is heavily desired. Even if I don't get a cooldown, I'll eventually hit the endless retries or I'll often hit the "End of queue" cooldown when I know there are plenty more nominations to review (it refreshes after 15-20 minutes with new nominations to review).

For reference, this is the cooldown activation message:

We have detected some anomalies in your review behavior. As you are reviewing each nomination, please consider each question carefully to avoid falling into voting patterns. Use of shortcuts or pre-canned responses should also be avoided.

I am not an anomaly. There are not enough datapoints to warrant a lack of variance if we're only going by a 5-star system, alongside a suite of rejection reasons.

• Liediawa-PGOLiediawa-PGO Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

Currently, you just get a cooldown way too fast. Sometimes after 5-10 reviews, you're already out. That was not so before. Just because you might rate a little faster doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Some submissions are very easy, especially in places where these are the first submissions and where they also comply with the rules, after the pictures it is just a quick click-through. I agree with the others here that it is much worse that there seem to be people who consistently give 1* instead of looking at the submissions closely. Those people who consistently give bad or pejorative ratings should rather get a time-out. Example: If there are always 2 of 50 people who only give 1*, they must be taken out of circulation. I have already denounced the fact that there seem to be people here who just want to get their upgrade quickly and unfortunately the fastest way to do this is to reject them since you don't have to look at pictures or read through texts. Unfortunately, this also explains why a large part of your own submissions is rejected, sometimes with really incomprehensible reasons for rejection. (The bench in the forest is an unsuitable place to play, a public park is suddenly an offensive place, as is the spacious forecourt in front of the town hall, A playground is not of cultural importance...).

So we need new rules for the cooldown. There something should be done.

I'm quite stingy with giving 5 stars to nominations too. That's why it annoys me just as much, because only very important things should get 5*. If that's why the constant 3*&4* ratings are already a "pattern", I'm sorry, but they didn't deserve this last star according to my personal scheme.

• jizza-INGjizza-ING Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

Instead of the cooldown message I get something like "Superb Job" or "Well done - Come back later when there's more to review"

I can hardly believe that there's nothing to review in central Europe. Is this the friendly version of the cooldown?

You're talking about two different situations.

The message saying to come back later when there's more to review - means you've hit the end of your queue. To get more in your queue, your home and bonus locations should be at least 250 miles from each other AND from your usual place of play. Then you draw from a wider area, so get more nominations. Niantic should be much more clear about this.

If the message has "cooldown" in it - it's flagging something in your behavior.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard that this is more likely to happen if the home location is not set up, and I had this tendency when it was not set up.

It is easy to be fooled by the word home, but there are three Wayfarer locations: home, bonus, and current location, not home and bonus.

Home should be set up where you are from or where you know the land.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

A more precise reason would be nice.

However, when there is a series of clear 1-star nominations, the review speed will inevitably be faster.

And our rank rate as reviewers may drop from GREAT to GOOD or FAIR.

This is almost always the case when my rank drops from GREAT to GOOD, which is rare.

• jizza-INGjizza-ING Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

Thx, I have set up home and bonus location far from each other for years already. I usually get submissions up to 600km away from my home location which is in central Europe and those submissions are from various countries. The thing that confuses me is that I get this "nothing to review"-notification after 30-50 reviews per day and I doubt that there aren't that much submissions in this huge area.

On the other hand many of my own submissions are stuck "in queue" for weeks before they come "in voting". Even the upgrades stay in queue for many days now.

All of this was much more different 2-3 weeks ago: more to review (until I've got the cooldown occasionally) and faster reviews of my own submissions. Since I haven't changed my review/submitting behaviour I'm asking myself if there have been some changes from Niantic on this side or if other players just got lazy and review/submit less nowadays.

I suspect that Wayfarer can detect when you're using a third-party-app add-in, and gives more cooldowns.

I've never used a 3PA, and never gotten a cooldown (23k reviews).

If you're cooldown-prone, try a browser that doesn't have Wayfarer+ or IITC or anything.