Incentivizing Wayfarer - Discussion

Comments

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, this is alot of grey-area talk.

we do not know why niantic would want to give an incentive to reviewers / contributors.

“What are ways in which we can incentivize Wayfarer as a whole to take full advantage of all its features?”

Who is we? Niantic? The Ambas?

Incentivize as a whole? to take full? advantage of its features? - What does it mean at all?

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

THEMES: highlight good categories of nominations - a different one each month. Examples: fountains, parks, statues, murals, interesting architecture, historic places. So, for Fountain month:

• Email Explorers explaining which fountains are good nominations and why - encouraging them to nominate some. 
    • For four weeks after the email, put only fountains on the showcase (globally). 
    • For four weeks after the email, automatically upgrade nominations that seem like fountains (including ones nominated before it was a theme).
    • If your fountain nomination is passed, you get some kind of flair.
    • In game, get some flair for hacking or spinning fountains. Maybe a new category of profile stats? Scavenger hunt!
    • Keep (and share) a running total of how many fountains have been added to the system since the start of the challenge.

BADGES: to show on https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/new/profile, and this community's profile and comments (on first line, after name and # posts). Some ideas:

• A badge saying your nomination was used for a 5* "honeypot". (After it's run its course and is resolved.)
    • Two badges: number of "What is it" categories you've nominated, and reviewed.
    • Review streaks (IE 7 days, 30 days, 60 days, etc)
    • Cumulative days your nominations have been in queue, and in voting. Might as well have bragging rights.
    • Wayfarer could include the wayspots-visited stat that already exists in-game. It's all about exploring!
    • Two tiered badges: #nominations accepted and #review agreements. No upper limit - once you complete a badge, it remains on your profile, and another version of the same badge is started with 0.
    • For earning 10 agreements in a review challenge for a state or country - you get a badge of its flag. Once you have a bunch of flags, they could convert to a globe medal in PoGo, Ingress, and community comments (but you could still see your individual flags on Wayfarer and community profiles).

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Work with game makers to provide a monthly incentive box.

Like I'll use PMG as example (numbers off top of my head)

Box contains 40 stardust per month for each agreement you have if your rating is Great, 20 good, 150fair... 0 poor

Box contains 100 startdust per month for each wayspot accepted

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

A simple incentive by displaying the results on the Wayfarer site would be sufficient.

I don't particularly care about this since I have a public profile on Ingress, but there are a certain percentage of people who don't like the display of code names on Pokestops and Pokemon gyms.

If Niantic wants to protect this as player privacy, I'll go along with it.

If they were to be displayed, the number of nominations and approvals, with the current 4 rank rates as reviewers also displayed as nominators, and the number of reviews and approvals as reviewers (the same number as Recon medals in Ingress) would be sufficient.

That is almost enough to tell you what kind of player the Wayfinder is.

A Wayfinder who wants to make himself proud will naturally strive to improve his numbers.

This will work as an incentive of sorts.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you nominate a Lightship only wayspot, that doesn't really open up gameplay for anyone.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pikmin seems to use them even if they don't show up on its board and Catan's seasonal maps could have (RIP). I've heard claims that they impact Pokemon Go spawns too although I'm not sure if that's true or not.

• Wynoth-PGOWynoth-PGO Posts: 1 ✭✭✭

In addition to not automatically spending agreements on an upgrade, it would be nice to be able to buy extra appeals with them, maybe 20, 25, or 33 agreements for an appeal? This would increase the incentive to earn agreements by giving them more flexibility.

Similarly, maybe also be able to spend them on extra submissions?

I think it would also be nice if having an appeal accepted gave you a new appeal immediately. The appeal being approved acknowledges that the submission shouldn't have been rejected to start with. So like a successful coach's challenge, having a rejection overturned shouldn't "cost" you anything. This wouldn't contribute to the appeals process being flooded with bad nominations, since those presumably wouldn't be approved and wouldn't earn the appealer any new appeals.

The incentive value of an upgrade would be improved if an appeal of a rejected upgraded nomination were given priority in the upgrade process. After all the effort to earn the upgrade, it's disappointing for the nomination to be rejected and then sit in the appeal queue for months, even if it is ultimately approved. There'd be more incentive to earn upgrades if they were more powerful in this way.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know ingress portals that aren't in pogo effect spawns, they basically create a spawn point where the portal is. haven't heard anything about lightship though, bit then, I don't think pokemon has had a reshuffle of spawn points since they started using lightship

• Liediawa-PGOLiediawa-PGO Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

The biggest incentive I would like to get at the moment would be the complete appreciation of my work and then being able to benefit from the entire work.

I started because I wanted to contribute to the game and create more places for myself and other people to meet and play together.

Sure, you can discuss ingame currencies and co. here. But it would be really more important to me if all the work was appreciated.

Why should I go to the trouble of submitting stuff and collecting upgrades (unfortunately that's the only way to have something rated) only to find out that it was accepted but will never appear in my game.

I only play Pokemon and I want to create new locations for this. But here a completely Niantic unfortunately stands in the way. Because unfortunately we can never have all the opportunities that are available in the other games. Because either the cell system hinders you or Niantic hasn't updated spawn points in over years.

All of you (Niantic, Ingres, and also PokemonGo) explicitly call for submitting new stops via Wayfarer to discover many new things.

We demand standardization of the appearance rules of POIs especially in PGo and no or at least a drastic reduction in size of the stop cells to ½ or ¼! We want to have ALL added POIs in PGo, like Ingress, bc all are based on the same database!

Last year, we added over 3.8 million new Wayspots. That's almost 4 million new Gyms, Pokéstops, and Portals that our players can interact within the real world. Explorers, how many more Wayspots do you think we can add in 2022? (Niantic, 01/29/22)- there is sooo much more possible in PGo without or with a reduction of the cell system when you compare PGo and Ingress!

Because we could have so many more stops to go out and discover new places, that's the general slogan, right? (#MeetYouOutThere)

That's what all the changes in the games are currently aimed at!

Even if you ask why this or that stop never ended up in the game, even though it was accepted, you get the totally helpful answer (and I'm not kidding!) that this stop is too close to other game locations and I, when I'm looking for new stops I should walk in a park. Are you serious?! Sorry, but that's not the way to deal with suggestions for improvement and the work of others!!

The opinions of others have become more than clear here and also in the Twitter post at the time, and I too am sometimes walking on thin ice here. This change would give me so much more motivation, for example, because then I know I can really actively contribute something to the game, my work is valued and doesn't just disappear into obscurity. You always say that this is a PGo problem, but I think you have a bit of a say and more influence as a team within the company than the outside players. It's time for the cell system to change and for the Wayfarer team to do their part and support us instead of just stepping back. Because all the displeasure, the frustration and the lack of understanding are reflected here and in the reviews. And that also reduces the fun of ratings and submitting.

• Liediawa-PGOLiediawa-PGO Posts: 58 ✭✭✭

This actually sounds very interesting and worthwhile. One would finally see progress and it would really be incentives of Wayfarer for the users of Wayfarer.

• jizza-INGjizza-ING Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

many good ideas in here, I'd like to add something:

- Radiusfilter: It would be cool to widen the radius of your reviews the more you have reviewed as an option. Many people in my area are fed up because they have to review stuff hundreds of kilometers away in languages they don't understand. By making this "widening" an optional filter that you can change yourself (e.g. 10km, 50km, 100km...) you'll have an incentive to bring people back and have a bonus system for newcomers to get keen on reviewing.

- Removal Fast Track and/or report via wayfarer: High experienced reviewers should get an option to get fast tracking on duplicates and fake portals through wayfarer. Right now you can just report ingame but often we see duplicates and fakes while we are reviewing. Why can't you have an option for high expetienced reviewers to report this in wayfarer? As a bonus this could be fast tracked the better your review status is.

• ZeroZeroZiete-INGZeroZeroZiete-ING Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

I literally said the same as you long time ago ofc with different wording but the idea was the same and the -ING warriors got mad and just spammed disagree on me, glad to see the common sense in this forums has gone up since then because it looks they arent spamming disagree on you

• RU001-INGRU001-ING Posts: 61 ✭✭

Summarize this into 4-5 lines bro. no one wants to read all this. Or maybe send directly to in-game support

• RU001-INGRU001-ING Posts: 61 ✭✭

Before we even discuss Incentivizing, Niantic needs to focus heavily on awareness as @tehstone-Ambo mentioned. Subtle notifications that indicate the presense of wayfarer would help loads.

• ShnuggleMum-INGShnuggleMum-ING Posts: 19 ✭✭

My incentive would actually be to have things in queue or in voting actually moving... In some areas of London things are taking ages

edited May 2022

Trying to add a photo, but seems it's not possible

Apologies for the empty post

For example, these are nearly one year old...