Problematic nomination or targeted harassment?

My nomination is as follows:

Description: A head sculpture made of clay. Made by a local artist.

Additional info: This was made by a local artist that is known to the local community and has done various works around the village. The sculpture is from a not real character but was inspired from the history of the village.

Rejection Criteria

Fake Nomination

Mismatched Location

Because I live in a rural location I had this kind of problem before so now I always submit photospheres to verify location for example this is the photosphere of the above contribution:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4770143,23.0551663,3a,75y,124.61h,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipO47O9hrXUnUzAfYDbEEA2nsyardhHk3LVrmGri!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO47O9hrXUnUzAfYDbEEA2nsyardhHk3LVrmGri%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya13.218396-ro-0-fo100!7i10240!8i5120

So my question is this: Why did this go rejected? Is it harassment from players wanting to get upgrades or something? If it's not what can I do to further prove the contribution's location?

Comments

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,485 Ambassador

The picture does look suspicious, but then close ups can look very sharp.

Without any backed up evidence of who exactly did this and why, it again raises suspicion. From the photosphere it looks like there is a series of posts and this has just been placed on it. You need to provide evidence.

I’m not familiar with land rules in Greece, but the posts look part of the boundary of a field? Is it actually on public land?

Finally, I appreciate this is probably not a busy road, but there doesn’t seem to be what Niantic defines assafe pedestrian access.

I might seem picky here but I am trying to be critical in order to give you points to consider.

in short there are several possibilities here that need addressing in the way you are presenting your nomination.

• thedx4-PGOthedx4-PGO Posts: 49 ✭✭
    edited May 2022

It's a rural area, don't expect to find Michelangelo sculptures with a red carpet underneath.

There are 2 posts, one has a sculpture the other one hasn't yet. There is a local artist that make artistic contributions to the village like mosaics, paintings and sculptures. I'm not sure if he plans to make another head for the other pillar.

As far as I know this is public property, as you can see there is a power pillar next to it.

I've asked around the community as to weather and they seem to be a bit lenient when it comes to pedestrian access. We don't have large sidewalks as you can find in large cities, most people just walk at the edge of the road.

This road specifically is never busy, it's just a road that connects nearby houses and as you can see his quality is pretty bad. Those type of road are common in rural areas. Pedestrians walk safely at the side of the road.

We should support rural areas and not demand features we see in large cities...

I'm not sure what you mean permanent. Nothing is permanent. Some things are harder to remove than others but everything can be removed or altered.

Now to the matter in question that head is still there I passed by that road today, I can take some new photos if you like next time I'm there.

Can someone steal/remove it? Probably can. But that can be said for graffities and other street art. Someone can just go with a bucket of paint and remove them. Other nominations can easily be removed as well. I think you get my point.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

That does look like a potentially fake nomination. It appears to be something a young child made in art class that someone stuck on a post to take a photo and do a photosphere.

If the artist is truly known, you should be able to name them and there should be something you can link to in supporting information to back up your claim.

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it really is "made by a local artist" then you need some proof - a sign or some information on the internet or a newspaper article. otherwise, it will continue to look like something made in art class at school and stuck on a pole to try to make a Pokemon Stop.

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reminds me of that really bad head model done of Ronaldo ;D

Official installation tend to have the bust connected in a proper way where this nomination looks like it's just been put on top of a post. The bust is a different material from the post, rather than being the same and a neat join. The whole thing looks wrong and fake.

If it's not you need to provide above and beyond proof to convince anyone otherwise.

Thanks for taking the time to provide some insight.

I see your points. Not sure what I can do to improve your first argument. I don't know what the pillars were originally for but it was surely not to prevent cars from getting into the field. We don't have that kinda stuff right. They weren't made to present art too that's for sure but similar places are decorated like this regardless of their function. For example he even decorated an old power pillar. You can also see a similar art (a rock with a date written a date on it) near the main urban plaza. Basically he makes various artistic words and decorates various spots in the village. I thought I would make pokestops out of them but if it's that hard I guess many of them would be rejected.

As per your second point I can ask him more info about the said sculpture. Not sure if he wants his name to appear in a game thought, this is why I didn't put his name in the first place. He doesn't have an online shop or wiki info so not sure how that would help since verification would be hard. And I don't thing the line "Hey, can you make a fb page or something because I want to prove to a game that you exist?" is a good one. He doesn't need one, people go to him and ask whatever they want him to make.

I just find it kind of unfair since many people assume and demand too much stuff coming from cities and such stuff. Here in rural areas we don't even have proper roads as you can see. The local population is around 2000 or so. Protective pillars? Signs? Pedestrian roads? That's luxury stuff here. Overgrown patches of land are common cause they are public. None cares about public places so you see them in such condition.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair, commenters did remark that the head and face looks like “something a young child made in art class,” “something made in art class at school,” and “that really bad head model,” so a few people did seem to say that the quality of the production is sub-par.

But absolutely, the specifics here (and subsequently, verification) are the difference between acceptance and rejection.

• MelodyS88Chi-PGOMelodyS88Chi-PGO Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, I will still vote to approve bad art if there is some verification and it appears permanent. If it looks amateurish, easily movable, and the submitter adds absolutely no supporting information that backs up their claim that it is a real, permanent art installation I am going to assume it is not and that the submitter probably created the "art" to get a couch portal. A photosphere by the person that submitted the nomination is not going to be sufficient when the "art" appears easily movable and the submitter didn't give any actual information in their nomination to back up their claims that it was done by a local artist.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

True, but I think the point (for most) was that the style of the art was more likely to make reviewers questions the authenticity than to say it's not worthy of a wayspot even if the artist was verified as a well known local artist. I felt like OP's takeaway was that "city folk are art snobs", rather than "I need to identify the artist".

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if the artist is everything OP said... that doesn't mean he has permission to put art in these random places. If it the statue (or painting on a rock) really is there longer than five minutes, it could technically be vandalism.

The reason graffiti is not accepted, is that it is not there legally. Whoever owns it could come out and paint over it. The city, or whoever owns the land / fence / whatever.

Suggest your local newspaper to do a story on this local artist. Then you could use that link in your Supporting Info.