Niantic Wayfarer is 'App'ening - Discussion

Hello Explorers, 

We wanted to share some exciting news with you all. Drum roll………. We are starting to build the new Niantic Wayfarer app! While it will take some time to ship to you in its best form, we wanted to give you a heads up.  

The beta version of the app will include the ability to scan at Wayspots (which you can already do via Ingress or Pokémon GO) and the ability to view nearby Wayspots on a map. As a beta app, it will be accessible to Lightship developers as they start to build new AR experiences using Lightship. Ambassadors will also be able to trial beta versions for early feedback. From there we will continue adding features over time and inviting Explorers on board later this year. 

You’ll see some news about the app in conjunction with the upcoming Niantic Lightship Summit on May 24 - 25, 2022. This is our first developer conference, and we’re excited about the incredible AR experiences these developers will be able to build with Lightship and some other new tools. Stay up to date with Lightship by following them on Twitter!

We’re in the process of refining the rest of the app roadmap, deciding which additional features to build first, and the right time to open it up to the community. It’s been very exciting to be working on this next evolution of your Wayfarer experience and we can’t wait to tell you more in the coming months!

Check out the discussion here!

Tagged:

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,123 Ambassador

Is there an ETA as to when Lightship Developers will get it? Is it going to be a “available after this presentation”?

• Shottix-INGShottix-ING Posts: 85 ✭✭✭

Personally can't review more than 5 things without getting a 2 hour cooldown, please fix the system to allow people to honestly review and do a decent amount without restrictions. We aren't bots we just want to review faster than your system allows...

• Grogyan-INGGrogyan-ING Posts: 133 ✭✭✭

@NianticTintino think you are still missing the point of a separate app.

As been raised hundreds of times on both pogo and Ingress forums. There is a general lack of interest to scan anything. Because there is nothing been applied to either game.

You simply do not need even half of the scanned wayspots to have what have been done to be have those meshes being used.

I am looking forward to Ingress getting it, but the years have come and gone.

As for reviewing wayspots, the current system works very well, and is already naturally cross platform.

• jontebula-INGjontebula-ING Posts: 99 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

I love to have app for Wayfarer. 👍🏻💙😀

Now I hope Niantic can buy IITC and allow IITC and the new owner are Niantic.

Hope we can get new app from Niantic include both Ingress and Wayfarer community. Resolve lots of bugs for mobile.

For exaple reddit app are amazing against use the web browser.

@NianticBrian-ING

• AisforAndis-INGAisforAndis-ING Posts: 1,072 Ambassador

For over two years now Niantic has been talking about changing the way we review Wayspots to better reflect modern day criteria and to remove some of the ambiguity that comes with questions like "Is this visually unique?"

Does Niantic plan to FINALLY implement these changes prior to the release of the app? Or will you yet again rewrite the code for reviewing similar to what was done last fall with the "new" wayfarer website (4.0 I think?) that was in many ways, several steps backwards?

• willowitaly-INGwillowitaly-ING Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Oh awesome. Will the app include the ability to review, or is this basically just a lightship map app?

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,123 Ambassador

Niantic don’t need to buy IITC. If they wanted to, they could do all of that, plus all the Wayfarer Tools stuff. But choose not to.

• BlameJamal-INGBlameJamal-ING Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

@NianticTintino would love for you to come on the wayspotters podcast and talk about the App’ening. Lol. I’m personally very excited and I know the other Wayfinders are as well.

• DactarJarvis-INGDactarJarvis-ING Posts: 2 ✭✭

That's a great notice!!!

• Rodensteiner-PGORodensteiner-PGO Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticTintino well on my 6th birthday i was asking for he-man. i got - big jim.

this time we asked for a wayfarer app. and we get - a AR SCAN app. Maybe instead of making this an app, you should justify AR Scanning for the community.

Otherwise this is just another sad birthday for everyone.

• ZinkyZonk-INGZinkyZonk-ING Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

ABOUT TIME!!!!!

Looking forward to the app (whatever shape it is)

May the 'Soon TM' be of short duration.

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds cool! I hope you guys are able to take your time on it so that you get it right out of the gate.

Yeah mobile reviewing is much harder. One of the reasons why I only have 5500 reviews. My computer time is limited.

Wow your perspective is so different to mine. What you say is really interesting!

Perhaps we are thinking differently about the possible functionality of the the app.

Much easier to develop/change nomination/editing/reviewing processes than have to be written into games that have their own development processes.

Having a separate app means you could do radical changes to wayfarer but still have the old system running through Pokemon and Ingress.

Wayfarer needs a massive overhaul but we all know you have to keep the old system running while you sort out the bumps with the new system.

• RyuuNoKokoro-INGRyuuNoKokoro-ING Posts: 4 ✭✭

Wow, sounds good.

This is a good news.

Maybe I'll come back, this medal with wings will be beautiful 😜😍

We need to be able to edit lightship portals. And having an app to do that would be awesome.

I have had many items accepted but unable to edit them as they do not appear in the game.

• RennieFox-PGORennieFox-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

It would be super useful if I can provide supporting evidence for nearby submission that are either in queue or in voting via scan or extra photos. Also, I wish the app could use nearby cell and wifi triangulation to help verify locations. I felt like in-person on-location review might be compromised if location-faking is still easy to do.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

That would mean removing remote nominations and to many people wouldn't like that

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

i have mixed feelings about this ….. so may change mind 😎

To be fair to Nia, requests for an app is something that has been repeatedly asked for.

I’m not clear from the limited information so far as what purposes it will fulfil . Before the announcement when it was talked about I had a vague notion about an alternative reviewing app. I personally had never felt the need as I do my reviewing on an iPad so a reasonably sized screen. I wouldn’t even contemplate reviewing on a phone far too small, but I can see that those wanting to review on a phone an app may want better.

I start to get confused about the purposes of wayfarer now and in future.

i can’t see any need for reviewing to be done on a mobile basis. Excepting situations where you might be on a train or the like, reviewing is a stationary activity. So I feel really puzzled as to why you would need to scan objects - put in new data - via an app that you wouldn’t use. If I wanted to scan something I would use my normal game app. What am I overlooking not understanding?

Repeatedly we are told that resources are limited.

The single biggest issue that gets in the way of an improved database, is targeted meaningful feedback to submitters and to reviewers of their contributions in terms of quality of submissions and reviewing. Surely that should be priority?