"Not historically or culturally significant"

Hi all

Had this as a rejection reason for a recent nomination, not had or seen this one before (and don't recall it being an option when rejecting nominations). Anyone able to advise how that has happened and why it would have been used? Thought the nomination met the Criteria Clarification:

Comments

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,119 Ambassador

It means you had many reviewers mark;

Historic or Cultural Significance

Does this nomination have some historical or cultural significance?

that section as one or two stars.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Niantic have said that nominations can't get rejected soley for "Historical and Cultural Significance". Don't know whether this is true or not, but there was a bug where the "Duplicate" rejection reason wouldn't show. Is it possible this is a duplicate? Is there another exercise area nearby or is it already in Lightship just not showing in your game of choice?

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are the coordinates? As @JillJilyJabadoo-PGO says, Niantic have previously stated that this shouldn't be able to be a sole rejection reason, and a lot of the time it usually pops up when there's something similar nearby that some reviewers may have marked it as a duplicate of (but not enough did so to trigger the actual duplicate message to appear).

Hopefully when the new review system comes out, stuff like this won't happen any more.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I have ever seen a single exercise station in a park. There’s always a string of them, and often, a single wayfarer tries to nominate every single one individually.

This type of scenario calls for a unique title, and this submission lacks one. The community understanding of what generates the “not historically or culturally significant” reason - a nomination tagged as a duplicate - is consistent with the idea that at least one other piece of exercise equipment in this park is already a POI. So I think if you resubmitted with a less-generic title, you’d get a better reception from reviewers.

• Telbourn-PGOTelbourn-PGO Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Thanks, maybe title is a bit generic but didn't want to nominate each individual piece of equipment but rather the set as a whole - description and supporting text gives more information about there being 5 pieces of equipment and what they are etc.

Checked on IITC and no duplicates of that equipment, there is an exercise climbing frame close by so maybe people were considering that the same thing. Especially due to how my title could be used to describe that item too.

Just never seen that as the (sole) rejection reason before so was a little puzzled.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,481 Ambassador

It is odd that it is showing as sole reason.

It is really hard to get a photo that captures this really well. It’s not a bad photo as such but something that picks out the equipment a bit more might help, or an information board if there is one?

if nominations go through relatively quickly then resubmit. If it’s very slow try an appeal. In the appeal make sure you address any possible misunderstanding and say why it is significant.

• ElwynGreygoose-INGElwynGreygoose-ING Posts: 244 ✭✭✭✭

The generic title is what sticks out for me, too.

Could be that without a comprehensive title, reviewers were suspicious that there were another 4 of these in the system for the other pieces of equipment?

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've had similar accepted. My submission pic wasn't great but if I took it from anywhere else the background looked pretty bad. Maybe try and get a closer pic of a piece of equipment?

I've also had not historic/cultural relevance as the only rejection reason on a different but perfectly legitimate submission.

Could be a combination of the picture initially putting people off and then they're mind are set on giving <3 stars on the other options?

• WasatchWalker-PGOWasatchWalker-PGO Posts: 35 ✭✭

If there are multiple pieces of exercize equipment in a park along a fitness course, and they are far enough apart that each one is in its own s2 cell, couldn't they all be their own waypoint? I have seen several parks in my area that have more than one station on a fitness course used as waypoints.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's all very subjective. You'll see arguments either way. It will depend on what each person considers "far enough" or if they consider one fitness course a single wayspot or not. You'll see similar discussions with things like sets of sports fields and playground equipment.

I know that's not an answer, but Niantic rarely gives objective answers. Wayfarer has been set-up as a highly subjective system. If you're the type of person who likes clear rules and definite answers, prepare yourself for disappointment. (It's still worth asking the questions, though, imho. Getting different perspectives can help you make your own decisions.)