I had a pokey stop rejected for an invalid reason

I submitted this picture of a bridge it shows the bridge and that there's a creek under it and sidewalks running across the bridge. There are zero cars on the bridge. And my PokeStop nomination was rejected due to a license plate. I don't understand how people are allowed to reject pokey stops for not real reasons.

Comments

• zimmjl01-PGOzimmjl01-PGO Posts: 10 ✭✭

It has sidewalks in the bridge so that pedestrians can walk across it. And it goes through a neighborhood. The original bridge was built in 1922, the city redid it in February of 2015. It's been a part of this community for a very long time. It is even a titled bridge meaning it is a memorial bridge.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Other Rejection Criteria" means reviewers don't think it is "a great place to explore/exercise/socialize". As commenters above noted, this is the main problem. The license plate rejection was likely a mis-click or someone just choosing a random reason.

A bridge pedestrians can walk on is not the same as a footbridge, so you'll likely have trouble getting it through on just that. Is there a plaque or a sign for the bridge with the history you've talked about?

• Maxyme99-PGOMaxyme99-PGO Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi!

I tried to look for this bridge (either using "Mercy Bridge" or "The Bella Vista Bridge" name), and I didn't found any information about a bridge that you mentioned - no history, no website or photos, I'm not even sure if I found correct bridge on Google Maps.

I only found some information that Buena Vista city had some project to renovate Mercy Way (it's a street name, a bridge is a part of this street) that due to intersection with route 71 (called Bella Vista Way) is very dangerous road and has a lot of car accidents. City wanted to renovate the road and bridge to have more lanes for cars and to add pedestrian walkway on north side of bridge, so people can walk on it safetly.

That's all I found about it, so if you have any information about it, it's best to write in in description and put links in support text.

From map view bridge doesn't look very interesting, and it's main use is being a car bridge for very busy road.

As others mentioned, if you don't provide enough information in description and maybe add some links in support text that will support your description, this type of bridge isn't really interesting enough to be eligible as POI.

If it would be a pedestrian bridge only, or would had a very uniqe look together with safe pedestrian access, it might be eligible, but without it it's at best borderline candidate. If there is a memorial plaque on the bridge, nominate it, it might be eligible, but just a bridge is not.

I saw that near bridge there is a big soccer park that has some sports fields (they're visible on map view). If they're not already a POI, it might be a good idea to nominate these, as they have more chance of being accepted. Good luck!

• TheFarix-PGOTheFarix-PGO Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it is from a reviewer who thought repeatedly selecting "other reaction criteria" as the rejection reason across multiple nominations would either result in a cooldown (even when there is no evidence that it does). Then there is also the group that refuses to use "other reaction criteria" because they believe the reason doesn't tell the nominator that their submission is terrible and shouldn't be a Wayspot and any other reason, even a wrong one, is always better.

Every highway bridge in my region, from narrow single lanes to broad multi-lanes, is a "memorial bridge". That doesn't make them any more eligible because the people they memorialize are random individuals whose only significance is that they once served in the military. And frankly, the only reason those bridges are named as "memorial bridges" is to allow the state DOT to identify one highway bridge from another, nothing more. And just because there are sidewalks on the bridge doesn't make it eligible either. Footbridges themselves are not inherently eligible unless they are architecturally or culturally interesting.

There is a map of where the bridge is. I understand what you guys are saying about you think that a bridge might be an unsafe pokey stop. However, if a bridge is an unacceptable poky stop, then why is a bridge a category when you're choosing what to label what your nominating?

I used this pokey stop just as an example. I have had five PokeStops rejected for "other" reasons. I submitted a memorial bench next to a pond that was rejected, I submitted a basketball hoop behind a church that I have seen approved by countless other trainers and they were all accepted. I just don't understand it seems very arbitrary.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

However, if a bridge is an unacceptable poky stop, then why is a bridge a category when you're choosing what to label what your nominating?

The category list has nothing to do with eligibility. If you look at all the options on the category list, you'll see things like schools, which are one of the major rejection criteria.

I submitted a memorial bench next to a pond that was rejected

Memorial benches aren't usually eligible unless they're for a significant person, and you need to provide evidence of their significance.

Memorial benches are not inherently eligible. Some will accept them if they are for historical or significant individuals, but that is a pre-3.1 criterion that no longer applies today.

But it appears that you have not read the Wayfarer criteria pages, but instead have been looking for a definitive list of things that are eligible or worse "I've seen X as Wayspots so every X must be eligible". No such definitive list exists and there are a lot of gray areas where reviewers must apply their own interpretations.

No one in this thread has ever said the bridge is unsafe for a pokestop. They are all saying it isn't interesting. It is not "a great place to explore, exercise, or socialize". It has to fit in one of those three categories. Safety is not an issue in this case.

They also don't say bridges are unacceptable. They are saying *this* bridge won't be accepted unless there is some history somewhere you can point reviewers to.

If you want to post some of your other rejections, people can help you analyze those as well. The basketball hoop in particular sounds promising, but it might be a duplicate or if it is one of the mobile ones it may have been rejected for being temporary, etc.

Thanks for the reply! Here are all 3 pictures of the basketball hoop and the map. I don't know why it was rejected. I have submitted it twice.

I forgot to add it is not a duplicate

Thanks for showing submission location. Looks like I found completely different bridge, and that also says a lot about why this one isn't really that good of a nomination. Looking at your location it's again a generic car bridge, it doesn't make it interesting or eligible.

As others mentioned, maybe posting your other nominations will help, maybe we can give some advices to get something eligible.

Sadly in location close to the bridge it's hard to find something nice to nominate. The closest thing I found that would be accepted (if they're not already a POI) are a church, a place where you can play baseball, a park with a playground called "Waynedale Gardens", some restaurants that might have a chance to be accepted if are popular enough (and you give enough proof for it), golf course and a place called Southwest Conservation Club - but they're are a bit far away from this place.

As for basketball hoop near church - I found it on streetview, but I had to zoom in a lot, as it's quite far away on photos and maybe some reviewers missed it. It looks like it's put in a way that you can play basketball on church parking.

And I just saw your post with your nomination for basketball hoop too, and for starter: never use any reference for any game in title or description, it's automatic rejection for title or description - Niantic don't allow any game reference in POIs text, and you mentioned Pokemon Go a few times. It's also better not to use any game reference in support text, as many reviewers don't like it too. Removing any game reference would be a huhe help for all your nominations.

It would also help to mention in support text for reviewers that it's visible on streetview but they have to zoom in to see it as it's a bit far away from street. Try making support photo from a bit away too so it will shows reviewers your POI and more area near it (maybe a bit of church too) so they can compare it with streetview. With these improvements it should have more chance of being accepted. Good luck!

The surrounding area photo showed the church and it's steeple. But thanks for all the tips! Kind of feeling like giving up on nominations,. I checked and it is actually 8 of my last 8 nominations have been rejected

It is like that sometimes that many nominations get rejected, but in some cases we can do something to improve them.

If there isn't a lot of POIs in your area, there is still a chance to get something new fromm things I mentioned would be the easiest to get accepted. I hope you will get something accepted soon :)

Just remember to check cells if you want to get something in specific game (in PoGo for example: check if church POI isn't in the same cell as basketball hoop, because if they're on the same cell they won't both appear in PoGo). Good luck!

Awesome tip! How do I do that?

The basketball picture didn't show your rejection reasons. Any chance it was for mismatched location or similar?

edited May 2022

Oh... I just noticed a big problem. You can't mention Pokemon Go in the description. Creative titles are also a bit risky, but this should be a slam-dunk (haha) after you fix the description.

Thank you very much for the tips guys. Hopefully my suggestions will improve and we'll get more stops around this area.

Sorry for late reply!

We can't really talk too much about cells and rules how to create pokestops or gyms on this forum, as Niantic don't really like for us to talk about it (and Niantic close threads that mentions it) but there is plenty of information about it on another sites , so I mention for you how you can search for it.

But for starter: You can check cells with Ingress account and special plugin for it. But even without it you can check cells too. There are some maps that shows cells (they have they own websites), but not all of them are very accurate as it's players that adds POIs on these maps and sometimes cell than on map is shown as free cell in reality isn't free.

I would still recommend to use Ingress plus this plugin you can find more about on internet (you don't have to play Ingress, after creating account on level one you have full access to map). Try searching in Google for "Pokemon go s2 cells" and read about it on sites Google will show you. With these informations you will know for sure what things will appear in your game if your nomination will be accepted.

Good luck!