Niantic tries to educate reviewers... and fails

2»

Comments

• HaramDingo-INGHaramDingo-ING Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had sent a message about the email to Niantic Support:

Hello,

As per our policy, we will not be able to provide any specific information related to this warning. We have thoroughly reviewed your submissions and found that you have been violating our policies by incorrectly reviewing nominations. As a result, we have notified you about it after our investigation. Please review the Candidate Criteria before submitting any contributions/new submissions.

Best,

A bullsḣit policy, that's what it is.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that you mention it, it reminds me of a few dystopian satires I've seen where prisoners a put on trial in a court, but no one will ever tell them what they're charged with.

This is the second time I have received this email. Yes, the second time.

Stop giving me these "confirmation" emails and actually confirm some of the other bugs that I've been reporting for the last couple of weeks now?

Niantic: What is the best way to stop abuse? I know! Stop those who are reporting abuse! If the abuse isn't reported, it means it doesn't exist.

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

So you never got an answer about the first one even except the canned "we can't tell you why" response?

Nope. Nothing at all. Great communication as we expect.

• Wargorfs-PGOWargorfs-PGO Posts: 48 ✭✭

I aslo got some folks around who says my nominations are duplicates... not even close to another stop and far from duplicates

And upgrades don´t seem to work since i Upgraded a spot a few days back and made a new contribution yesterday...

the one from yesterday is currently in voting but the one a few days back is not ( and it´s upgraded ) both in the same little town

• sogNinjaman-INGsogNinjaman-ING Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lets see some of these "duplicate" nominations - full details and location. I'm betting that some of these are already Portals in Ingress, which is why you are getting a "duplicate" rejection.

edited July 2022

@sogNinjaman-ING - https://wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/new/nominations

I currently have it appealed for a second opinion since there should not be anything there.

i don´t play any other Niantic game besides PoGo so i have no idea if there are Portals in the area, that however should not be an issue since i recon that there are at least as many portals as pokestops on every and each location.

But i cant figure out why Ingress reviewers are on PoGo ? Should not be possible since i cant see any Portals when i´m reviewing Stops...

So in the end it´s kinda pointless to review or nominate any stops since they might be doubles on some of the other Niantic games 😂

Kinda useless to even give people the ability to nominate in the game then since some other game might have the slot and not showing up for the actual game in question :/

Just got my second Double... a soccerfield with no stops 🤣

This nomination thing and review is so toxic and warped that i´m starting to figure out why so many reviewers have so low score 😂

Hell, i might as well just decline every nomination i see 😆

read a debate on some "bots" but i rather think it´s a community fed up with not being able to get the stops for "their" game since it´s claimed by any of the other games they have 😂 soon enough any new games they release will have 0 P.O.I as all are claimed ^^

Also getting why so many except kids have quit playing PoGo... they are blissfully unaware of the community and company.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,560 Ambassador

It's quite possible for a submitted wayspot to appear in multiple games. Having a POI appear in Ingress does not mean that it won't also appear in Pokemon Go! When we submit, we submit to a central database, Lightship. Each game then pulls eligible POI into their games from that database, according to the spacing rules of that game. This can be a frustrating experience for those that don't know how each game ingests Wayspots, but there are lots of external resources (podcasts, Reddit, Facebook groups) that can help - Niantic won't spell things out, generally, because knowing the rules frequently leads to attempts to work around them by fudging locations. As far as toxicity - I think you'll find many helpful, experienced people here on these forums that will help dispel that notion! I've found the community here quite welcoming and helpful when members are open to improvement suggestions.

Well it´s not Niantic that is declining them but actual players... this time it´s a soccerfield. and here in the rural areas where i live we are talking a few 100 meters between stops... so it´s impossible that it´s even remotely close to a double that my rejetcs have been marked as :/

So if it´s not an issue of POI between games it´s just the community and players that are toxic. Probably becouse they themselves have had rejections on their nominations that they are rejecting everyone elses...

Also, an appeal can only be done once every 30 days and takes MONTHS to get sorted :/ such a waste

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,486 Ambassador

@Wargorfs-PGO

Niantics poor ability to communicate is the cause of many issues.

Over the years things have changed from essentially wayspots only being created for Ingress, then using that data for PoGo through to PoGo being able to create into the Ingress database and most recently separating it out completely to Lightship.

There is a trail of quirks, poor use of language and a database full of inconsistencies. It then does a poor job of telling people. It is a wonder sometimes that people actually find their way through all of this without just giving up in frustration. Some of the changes that have been needed over the years relate to people in different games abusing the system for their own gain.

It is intensely annoying when wayspots that should meet criteria get rejected. And yes there are poor reviewers who make up own rules or decide to ignore the current rulings. It was because of this that the appeal system was introduced. And now we find that appeals take months, and can come back with odd decisions. But it involves people making judgements so will never be perfect. Niantic don’t have very deep pockets and there seems to be some chronic understaffing and it didn’t help that they were very slow to respond to an early bug with appeals that swamped the system.

Although appeals take months you have to weigh up whether to appeal or do a fresh submission depending on area it might be quicker.

Whatever games people play Niantic needs to draw on as big a pool as possible or there just won’t be enough reviewers and everything will grind to a halt. Better communication from Niantic would help people be better reviewers. And everyone would see an improvement.

The current selection rules that the PoGo team use are only based on the use of S2 cells a way of mapping the surface of the Earth and specifically a size called level 17. It is now perfectly possible to have 2 pokestops very close together if one of these imaginary cell lines goes between them. If you are submitting to make pokestops and gyms you really need to find out about the cells and the rules we all know but that Niantic refuses to acknowledge. If you don’t you may end up being disappointed and frustrated ( another thing no one talks about) and then you are likely to stop.

Yea, figured making a new nomination is way faster according to the others that have had the same experience. Also there seems to be no actual limit to how many times you can submit a nomination of the same spot if it gets rejected time and again due to bad reviewers.

I believe that if you would get rewarded with faster actions and more to do when having a good review rating, people would actually start to care about their own scores and grades. As it is now you done get any benefits from having a perfect grade or the worst possible.

Also, if a stop is actually a real POI and you rate it as such you still get bad score if the rest deem it out and it gets rejected, since thats how the scoring is now... the more people that think alike on a nomination good or bad wins and the outsiders get the bad score and gets a lower grade.

Toxic, as there is no telling what others rated it as so every nomination is a "Gamble" for your own rating and score.

• KatiRoseS-PGOKatiRoseS-PGO Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to reactivate this thread and say that after reviewing nearly 40k waypoint submissions, I received this email today too (September 6). I've been in great status as long as I can remember. It's really disheartening to do so much work, and then to suddenly be told after years that I'm doing it wrong with no further information. I've reviewed everything (including the new clarifications made by the latest wayfarer challenge), and I don't think I've been making any particular mistakes related to criteria. I'd love further communication from Niantic to what I did to trigger this email.