Multi-accounting (Cheating)

FreeRangeEgg-INGFreeRangeEgg-ING Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2022 in General Discussion

How do we fight multi-account cheating?

We have a player here in Hokitika, South Island, New Zealand who has, at last count 9 accounts.

He uses these daily, and even though we locals (West Coast players and those in Canterbury) are familiar with his antics, Niantic do not do anything saying insufficient proof.

He constantly changes name so keeping track is harder for Niantic.

He stacks wayfarer with those that can vote.

If there is a portal that is no longer there, or has changed, if it does not benefit him he does not agree.

He has 2 portals on the tarmac of the local airport, this is out of bounds to everyday people.

Because of his cheating, he kills portals with one colour then rebuilds with another.

Help.

What can be done?

Post edited by NianticGiffard on
Tagged:

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only part that is relevant to Wayfarer is stacking... the rest should go to the Ingress forum.

Niantic definitely has a big problem with multi-accounters in Wayfarer, unfortunately.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be honest, currently, each application and each person in charge has a specific set of permissions, so if cheating is discovered on Wayfarer and the account is banned, access to the game will not be affected.

Ingress cheating should be reported in the Ingress forum.

Also, it's not a fundamental measure, but if you can do something about it, it's to apply the upgrade to all nominations.

This will reduce the impact of Wayfinder's ability to review other districts.

• Engrish-INGEngrish-ING Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

PokeGo has a worse multiaccounting problem. Ways for them to get many approves on wayfarer nominations.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,125 Ambassador

Niantic seem to care a whole lot less about multi accounting in that game though. I know some folks with 5 accounts and there’s that infamous one of the guy on a bike with tons of phones

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why disagree?

Multi accounting is acceptable in pogo.

For me personally spoofing doesn't look like fun, if a multi accounter keeps me out of a gym I'll walk 20 minutes down the road and find a different gym.

Apologies, I meant it is generally accepted as opposed to being acceptable.

I regularly see people post about the level of their second account, what they managed to trade from it etc and receive praise from other players.

I don't think a who is the worst cheater debate will get us anywhere though.

I think I was just trying to say that various forms of cheating have become the norm in pogo and in relation to Wayfarer those forms of cheating are also accepted as it mostly benefits the larger community ie more poi, more stops, more gyms, more spawns etc

• flatmatt-PGOflatmatt-PGO Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is really off-topic in this forum, but since it's being discussed... If they're not going to do anything about multiaccounting in GO, I wish Niantic would just admit that and say something like "multiple accounts aren't actually against the rules, just please don't use them to do X/Y/Z." (One of those would be "please don't review wayspots on multiple accounts," of course, to make this a bit more on-topic.) I feel like I get irrationally annoyed every time someone talks about having multiple accounts, and my only reason for feeling that way is "because Niantic says it's against the [completely unenforced] rules." I guess that's in large part a "me" problem, though.

• ZeroZeroZiete-INGZeroZeroZiete-ING Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Well niantic cant really track because are using another auth/login credentials, which is google most of the time, hence it doesnt get anything of input in their old system other than ''x-email has registered'' that is why tracking multiaccount for them is just too tiresome or almost impossible to do and may be dont care, if they had their own credentials their own updated system it would be very simple to see if xip/ximei has registered 10 accounts

Besides players see that using multiaccount is more beneficious in the long term, even for being more secure because as you can see if you get banned in ingress even if you have a valid pokemon go if using the same email it will affect you in wayfarer so people wont link anything because it doesnt benefit them it does actually affect them

Besides people doing this perhaps is what niantic wants, so they sell ''more people registered'' and in wayfarer ''more people participating so the review goes faster'', we dont really know may be they in reality dont care if it doesnt harmbut yeah in pogo a spoofer with 1 account which just capture pokemon is not that harmful than a multiaccounter kicking you out of gyms and or not letting you put a pokemon but since gym system is forgotten in pogo they dont care that either, so meh, gl

• PEPEDIZ2-INGPEPEDIZ2-ING Posts: 48 ✭✭

Pero si encima de llevar varias cuentas vuela, peor.

Views on whichever form of cheating are purely subjective whether it's using defit, multi-accounting, spoofing, logging on for your mates etc. I'd be more surprised to find a pogo player that hasn't 'cheated' in some way tbh.

Keeping it Wayfarer related though. @FreeRangeEgg-ING 's problem seems very specific and could probably be dealt with, hopefully. It's probably too late for the wider problem of multi accounting in Wayfarer though.

• tp235-INGtp235-ING Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NianticTintino @NianticGiffard @NianticVK @NianticDanbocat

Hi Wayfarer Team.

I think the Wayfarer team is aware of the manipulation and abuse of wayspots through multi-accounting and community collusion.

I am seeking a field that is clean and has good POI. I am sure that you think the same.

I would like your comments on these practices and the misperceptions of certain game players.

• @FreeRangeEgg-ING I understand the situation. I would appreciate it if you could share this information through our in-app support for our dedicated team to look into this matter. Meanwhile, I'll close this thread for further comments.

This discussion has been closed.