Giant and old tree

There is a very big tree in my town and people say it is about 1000 year old . Beneath it there is resting area which is circular and not like any benches .

Is this eligible for wayspot nomination.

Tagged:

Comments

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, it's unfortunately not eligible, unless it has a permanent nature sign next to it (these are usually installed by the city or park maintenance staff), in which case you would be nominating the sign. A sheet of paper printed from a home computer would not fulfill the criteria for sign, it has to be an actual nature sign such as those seen on trails and at parks.

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,125 Ambassador

Use for Nominations whose real-world location focuses on natural features at large. Photos that focus on the signboard of the natural feature, or include both the natural feature and the associated signboard are acceptable.

The natural feature of a tree, isn’t really eligible.

• dman41689-PGOdman41689-PGO Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

if there's a sign for the tree yes it's acceptable if not then no. what does the resting area thing look like? do you have photos? it might meet the criteria

• 26thDoctor-PGO26thDoctor-PGO Posts: 4,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could potentially add it if things line up in your favour.

You are in a low density area.

You can make a really, really good case for it being a local gathering point.

You get favourable reviewers.

I think it would be difficult though and you'd end up needing more than one submission and I don't think it would be worth an upgrade either.

• HeavenlyNostril-PGOHeavenlyNostril-PGO Posts: 27 ✭✭

without a nature sign it'd be an uphill climb to prove it's a social hub, e.g. people listing the tree as a meetup destination on social media or similar

• Gendgi-PGOGendgi-PGO Posts: 3,534 Ambassador

Who says it's that old? If you have documentation or a news article supporting that claim, it might be. Do you have pictures you would be comfortable sharing of the tree or the resting area? Is it in a park or civic campus where people meet and have gatherings, or is it a tourist destination?

There is a very small number of trees that could be eligible. Most of them have signage, but that shouldn't distract from the fact that they themselves should be acceptable. But I'm talking about oldest, widest, or tallest of the world. One that meets this criteria in a smaller region could be, but too often that's just a claim somebody makes. I've reviewed several "oldest tree in my neighborhood" or "grandma says this tree is 5000 years old" nominations. I don't think I've had a situation where I would accept a tree, yet.