Rejected trail marker for no specific reason

Hey, i got a trailmarker rejected for abuse, is this normal?

Comments

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

INB4 this weekend when this thread will blow up into a huge argument.

Feel free to post the specifics of your nomination - both images, all text, and pin location - to get the most useful feedback.

• gddoka-PGOgddoka-PGO Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited June 2022

@X0bai-PGO I actually edited it before uploading but seems like it didn't worked..

It got rejected for abuse, it this actually normal? seems like to be a bad joke from the ones who rejected this.

Here is what i wrote, in case you need to traduce it with google traduction :

"Marqueur de sentiers situé aux hauteurs d'Agnin, il mène à divers chemins pour la randonnée."

"l.es routes sont très peu fréquentées; la route direction cimetière finit par des chemins de randonnée, le.s 3 autres routes sont rarement empruntées par des voitures"

Coordinates : 45.341633,4.8

Post edited by gddoka-PGO on

fun fact, i just got the results to another trailmarker only a few minutes ago and this one got accepted, the exact same type of trailmarkers.

Adding images, rather than links or attachments, will send posts to an approval queue, so expect to see your previous attempts in a day or two when they are approved.

Those coordinates took me someplace slightly different that what I see here, but I think you got the abuse rejection because of the house right behind the sign… it could look like an attempt at getting a POI from a private residence, and that does get tagged as abusive sometimes.

European trail markers are different from US markers, so I lack the insight to discuss eligibility or pedestrian accessibility. Suffice to say reviewers get it wrong sometimes, and even when they get it right Niantic gives the wrong reasons sometimes.

@X0bai-PGO I actually edited it before uploading but seems like it didn't worked.. alright here is it :

It got rejected for abuse, it this actually normal? seems like to be a bad joke from the ones who rejected this.

Here is what i wrote, in case you need to traduce it with google traduction :

"Marqueur de sentiers situé aux hauteurs d'Agnin, il mène à divers chemins pour la randonnée."

"les routes sont très peu fréquentées; la route direction cimetière finit par des chemins de randonnée, les 3 autres routes sont rarement empruntées par des voitures"

Coordinates : 45.341633,4.859825

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Other Rejection Criteria" means reviewers don't think it's eligible. Trail markers are definitely eligible, though. Did you use an upgrade? If so, it may have gone to reviewers in other areas or speaking other languages who don't recognize it as a trail marker.

Is there a website about the trail you could link to? I would also not upgrade if you can avoid it. If you have to upgrade because your area is slow, hopefully a website about the trail would convince reviewers it is a trail marker.

After you convince reviewers it's a trail marker, you may still have pedestrian access rejections. That's another reason to avoid upgrades and keep it local if you can. Local people are more likely to have similar concepts of safe pedestrian access.

@X0bai-PGO ow feel like this is going to be full of the same exact message in this discussion then, i tried a few time posting the same message x)

how to pepole gives the conclusion that this is located on a private residence, i mean it's a trail marker. even if it's on the middle of the street or close to another person house, trail markers are obviously made to be acessible to everyone.

about the coordinates is this working now?

@JillJilyJabadoo-PGO i did use a upgrade. these trailmarkers are the most common trailmarkers you can see around the country, there are everywhere. no matter where you live in the country, i think that eveyone have these type of trailmarkers, or at least very similar ones!

there is probably a lot of sites talking about these trailmarkers, but i never really thought that i needed to put a link to the "common trail markers" in my country, because i was thinking that everyone knows what is it. you are right though, never thinked that also strangers can vote to my nominations, i'm gonna do that for now!

i did use an upgrade because my area indeed very slow. the only wayspot that got accepted without any upgrade in this village took him 6 months. i also did that to maybe get the chance to make it appear a new gym, because this village is quite poor in gyms/pokéstops

about the pedestrian rejections, i said in the aditionnal description that cars rarly pass in these streets. it's not worth a rejection, only 1 or 3 stars on "pedestrian access" category, this is not in the middle of a very dense road, it's the exact opposite. i know there is no sidewalks, but the original creators of these trailmakers are probably thinking twice pepole placing these, there are certainly searching for the less dense roads to put their trailmarkers in.

In Europe, an upgrade will take your nomination outside your country. You probably have English, Spanish, BeNeLux, and German reviewers, and maybe more than that. I’m in the US and I occasionally see nominations from Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, and I even once got one from the Netherlands (that one threw me for a loop). So, unfortunately, common knowledge of France is not dependable for an upgraded audience.

I was able to find the location with the full coords, and I’m somewhat confident the nearby house is what generated the Abuse rejection reason. I don’t know that I’d say it’s “normal,” but it does happen. It might help to use an image that gets closer in on the signs to the point that they are immediately readable, so reviewers can see they are trail signs, and as a general practice try to get the signs in the center of the image (think about how they’ll look in a photodisc and play to that). I second the idea of linking to an external map to prove the route.

I think you can - and should - refine and resubmit unless an experienced French reviewer tells you these are not eligible. I don’t think you should use an appeal because I think Niantic will reject this on the grounds of pedestrian access.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cant really tell if its a trail marker or a bog standard street sign, which means, due to upgrade, other countries who don't speak the language will think the same. As was suggested earlier, Tey and get a link to the trail in the supporting info. It's also not as important, but try and get it in a slightly better light, it's not helping in distinguishing what thw sign actually says

• PkmnTrainerJ-INGPkmnTrainerJ-ING Posts: 5,123 Ambassador

It’s not the weekend already is it?

I mean, a discussion about trailmarkers so it must be.

*checks calendar*

Nope. You’re a few days early with this thread.

• RandomExploit-INGRandomExploit-ING Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trail markers should only be discussed on days that contain a 'y' in them...

It's annoying when bad rejections happen. You need to resubmit or appeal it. Probably faster to submit again and knowing your other marker got through, good chance the rejected one will get accepted if you get similar people voting on it.

It is not ideal but the reality of it.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, for some working schedules, this could be their "weekend". I used to get every second Tuesday and Wednesday off sucked big time

edited July 2022

That was one of my first trail markers nominations i created back then, i nowdays take better photos for trail markers. I'm going to resubmit then, i'm just annoyed that i used an upgrade for nothing (not the first time i have a rejected nomination with an upgrade, but this one is usually eligible in my country without any problem).

Thank you for everything, i appreciate the help!

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't resubmit something that got an abuse rejection. That could just be me though. Somebody sees something you don't. I don't know how many strikes we get, but trying it again could give you a second.

• Elijustrying-INGElijustrying-ING Posts: 5,482 Ambassador

i don’t see why having one of your nominations with one of the reasons abuse should stop you resubmitting. It is not uncommon to get these based on suspicion and the wrong assumptions.

if it did then you are setting the scene for someone harassing and abusing others by them selecting that category deliberately not only to deny a submission but to reduce further submissions.