A gym... which to appeal and/or nomination advice.

Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay I have tried this twice. Will probably appeal it to Niantic. Unless someone has advice. Which to appeal. I have a couple days until my appeal button comes back up.

--------------------------------------

Try 2

NOT ACCEPTED

2022-07-10

Rejection Criteria

Other Rejection Criteria

Description

Mac Gym a good place to workout and exercise.

31015 Harper Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48082, USA

Supplemental Information

This is a new gym, you can see in supplemental the "Now Open" signs on window. It won't be found easily on street view but is on google maps https://www.google.com/maps/place/MAC+Gym+St.+Clair+Shores/@42.5234945,-82.8999129,208m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8825276686623ce5:0xc51145cc649330c6!8m2!3d42.5234058!4d-82.9009852 Gyms are good candidates as a place to exercise criteria please read this thread in Criteria Clarifications where Niantic Gifford replies on Gym Eligibility https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/25864/exercise-related-businesses-need-a-niantic-criteria-clarification#latest

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try 1

MAC gym

St. Clair Shores MI

NOT ACCEPTED

2022-04-14

Rejection Criteria

Other Rejection Criteria

Mismatched Location

Description

a great place to exercise 24-7

31015 Harper Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48082, USA

Supplemental Information

gyms are good candidates as a place to exercise criteria please read this thread in Criteria Clarifications where Niantic Gifford replies on Gym Eligibility https://community.wayfarer.nianticlabs.com/discussion/25864/exercise-related-businesses-need-a-niantic-criteria-clarification/p1

Comments

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of luck on your appeal.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your description is pretty bland. Learn something that makes the place special, to include on your next nomination, or on your appeal note.

• dman41689-PGOdman41689-PGO Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

I voted on this to approve it, but the street view shows it as retro fitness so that might be why people rejected it.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are they special? Do they hold events? Classes? Do they donate to the community? Sponsor a Tee-ball team maybe?

• SeaprincessHNB-PGOSeaprincessHNB-PGO Posts: 1,607 Ambassador

I try to review from the "I want to approve this" mindset. But I'm very wary of approving new businesses.

1) If it's new, how can you prove that it is beloved by the community (unless it's a second location or new location of an older business).

2) Soooooo many businesses do not survive past their first couple of years. I am hesitant to approve a business that might be closed soon.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

They aren't special, nor do they need to be. Exercise is a Core Criteria. Which is why Niantic wrote in the thread these types of places are eligible. You don't have to prove a Gym is special, anymore than you need to prove a baseball field is special.

The idea of proving something is special, is more for you are trying to prove it's explore worthy. Heck maybe for gather worthy. But exercise... nah....

edited July 2022

If a business closes, can appeal to have it removed. Within 2 miles of this location I can think of 5 POIs that have been removed. All were there in 2016. all lasted years. 1 Closed in 2018, 2 in 2020, 2 in 2021. It happens. But shouldn't stop people from approving something in present.

Technically everything is temporary given enough time.....

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the difference between eligibility and acceptance. It only matters so much what clarifications Niantic issues; Giffard said generic footbridges are not eligible, yet they’re still very nearly slam dunks and get vigorously defended in these forums. You went hard to try to get an official statement issued that nearly any gym or dance studio or martial arts dojo hits the exercise criteria and more or less got what you wanted, but it doesn’t resonate with reviewers. That’s why I wished you luck on your appeal; this gym will never get approved by voters. “Never” is a strong word, and when I say “never” I actually mean “never, ever, not in a hundred renominations” will you get this basic, unremarkable, boring, run-of-the-mill, fully-replaceable (and for that matter, recently-replaced) gym through reviewers. Make sure to link to Giffard’s clarification on your appeal, because I doubt Niantic reviewers are aware of it.

I'm not quite as cynical as you @X0bai-PGO about reviewers. After I got that clarification, a dance studio that I had rejected twice, got accepted the various next time with the linkage to the clarification. In no way did I try on that 3rd accepted nomination to make the place seem special.

So I'm hoping that while there are some holdouts that exercise related business need to be special is now the minority opinion and the reason it didn't get accepted was its newness / issues with confirming.

Who knows though, I'll keep bringing up the topic when I see Gyms/Dojo/Dance Studios brought up in this forum though :>