New Photo Rejected

Saddlebrook West Community Center

(39.0006924, -76.7428711)

Bowie, MD

USA

The issue with this wayspot is that it’s invalid. There is no community center. It’s simply a building for storage equipment for pool maintenance, a break room for lifeguards, and bathrooms for those at the pool.

By definition (a place where people from a particular community can meet for social, educational, or recreational activities), this building is not a community center.

Instead of removing it, we can keep the wayspot for both GO and Ingress and make it into something that actually exists.

If we move it here (39.0005209, -76.7428406), it represents the missing bike path and becomes a valid location. A pool storage building with non-public restrooms is not valid compared to the entrance to an exercise path entrance.

If the photo gets approved we can then correct the title, description, and location. This keeps a wayspot in Go and Ingress and does not mess up portal history or keys or whatever Ingress does.

I personally do not want to lose a stop but I care about accuracy more than abundance. This change satisfies both.

Tagged:

Comments

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not how it works. You can't change one wayspot into something else only because you don't like it.

You must request the removal of the existing Wayspot and nominate the new one.

Trying to edit the title, description, photo and location to something not related to the existing Wayspot has been clarified as abuse by Niantic

• ZeIdaSymphony-PGOZeIdaSymphony-PGO Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

Hi. Please read the situation before making an opinion. Did I say I didn’t like it? No. I said it was a wayspot created by abusing the system, giving it a fake name to get easy approval. I like that there is something there. But it is a lie. I’m simply changing it to an honest wayspot.

Again, please read before commenting next time. Also please know the difference of personal bias vs facts. All of us as wayfinders should not like abusive locations or locations created by abusing the system. It’s our job to report that.

So instead of removing it, I’m making it work so it’s no longer abuse but instead legit.

• WheelTrekker-INGWheelTrekker-ING Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two wrongs don't make one right. Abusing the system to remove a bad wayspot it's still abuse of the system.

• HankWolfman-PGOHankWolfman-PGO Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure @WheelTrekker-ING did in fact read your post, as their response to it is correct.

Whilst the existing wayspot does not exist, and I get that you want to replace it with something that does exist, the two POIs are entirely different objects. The new wayspot should go through the standard review process to determine if it meets the criteria, the same as with any new wayspot. Instead you're trying to circumvent the review process and force the new wayspot into the database by editing an existing invalid wayspot that has nothing to do with it. That isn't how it works.

You should do it the proper way, as @WheelTrekker-ING says.

Well I tried but people pitched a fit about removing a valid wayspot because of keys and whatnot. They got defensive as if they used that one. And doing another removal will result in nothing. So why not change it? Portals can change. If an object is replaced by another, in the real world, instead of deleting the stop and taking away potential gameplay in that area, update it with new info. Nothing changes really. Game doesn’t stop, just the name and title.

It’s not asking for a new one. It’s asking for one to become valid and represent an object in reality. Why delete a bad stop/portal when it can be corrected and made better? Nobody gets hurt. Removing a wayspot has the potential of changing other wayspots like a gym back to a stop. Instead of breaking a neighborhood which causes more tickets, complaints, forum posts, and all that, asking why the change, I’m taking a neutral approach to where the small changes don’t do anything to the surrounding area. It remains a stop, it stays in its cell, and it gets a correct image and title. The original image/title are as valid as a wayspot for a Stop sign.

And really, I would prefer Niantic to weigh in and review the situation. Random people getting mad about a wayspot that doesn’t affect them does nothing. Someone threw a fit because of some portal key thing being lost. So he’d rather keep an invalid portal over keeping the game accurate? That’s greedy. The point of this is to have games that accurately reflect the physical world. I am simply sticking to that. Thanks for your concern but I know exactly what I’m doing to not cause other changes when removing a stop from an area. You take out a stop, you could lose a gym. Why upset the locals like that?

My method is just as valid only it saves time and achieves the same result. However, I take in the consideration of others to make sure a drastic change (like losing a popular gym) doesn’t happen.

We had a gym once that represented an old fire house converted to a regular house. The person complained, so it was moved slightly to the playground next door to the house and the info was changed. That’s how my ingress friend explained it to me anyway. The gym at her house was removed. Problem solved. But she couldn’t remove the playground so really the parking changed nothing. But it also did not disrupt the balance in that area.

So if Niantic would review the situation and ask any questions, that would be great. They are the ones who can help fix this and understand the importance and affects of removing a wayspot. That is their jobs after all.

But it seems people don’t like having things removed because of whatever reasons. Popular gym or a portal key. Both sides get mad if gone. I am trying to please both and change to something accurate without messing things up. There is nothing wrong with that.

@NianticVK could you weigh in here? Or maybe @NianticGiffard as I think he’s still working on other issues in the area with another. And also close the ticket as it’s just going to be the same comments about anything but what the goal is here. Thanks.

• Thanks for the appeal, @ZeIdaSymphony-PGO! Based on our research, the Wayspot does not require any adjustments at this time.

Your research is incomplete then. There is no community center there. An abusive wayfinder forged a fake location on Google Maps to add a community center to that location. It has been corrected there. This should always have been the other wayspot, not a falsified community center.

True research would have shown the info on the forged Google Maps edit. Evidence was provided to google using geotagged information to show exactly what is inside that building.

And as stated, Giffard has the info as well.