Huge Discrepancy in Appeal Acceptance/Rejection Please Explain

@NianticGiffard I'm hoping I can get an explanation as to why one of my appeals was accepted and why one was rejected. Both are entrances to local parks that maintain a public, city owned, pathway between homes to enter the different parks.

1. Colonial Park was accepted on appeal
  2. Oak Park Trail Entrance was rejected on appeal based on being private property.

Both utilize a public pathway between homes, both have a city sign identifying the park attached to a city placed wood rail fence. Oak park even has a much wider path creating much more space between homes than Colonial Park.

Comments

• Hosette-INGHosette-ING Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think you're going to get an official answer for this.

This sort of candidate isn't a slam dunk... it's a judgement call as to whether it's too close to private residential property to be disruptive or not. Appeals reviewers are humans and they are subject to the same sorts of biases as player reviewers, only since it (probably) only takes one appeals reviewer rather than dozens of player reviewers their variance has a much larger impact.

• PopPhenom-PGOPopPhenom-PGO Posts: 65 ✭✭

If I don't at least I'll hopefully bring attention to inconsistencies in the appeal process that they can improve on.

• tehstone-INGtehstone-ING Posts: 1,154 Ambassador

there have been a slew of examples of approved appeals that the community nearly unanimously agreed they would reject. unfortunately whoever is on the appeal review team doesn't seem to have views on eligibility that align with the communities.

nominations like this are somewhat borderline, and i could see this one in particular getting approved or rejected 50/50 if nominated several times so it's not surprising that the appeal was approved.

• PopPhenom-PGOPopPhenom-PGO Posts: 65 ✭✭

@tehstone-ING I think I'm right there with you, and was pretty confident these would be the kind of responses I would see.

It's disappointing there isn't consistency in the appeal process. It does make it more lucrative to just keep submitting it until it goes through. It makes appeals more of a last ditch effort vs getting defininitve confirmation either way on the effort.

I feel like consistency on these appeals would help drive better voting decisions and submissions.

I 100% agree both of my nominations were 50/50 in the voting pool too.

• Janetx68-PGOJanetx68-PGO Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

Hahaha, even the community doesn't align with the community. The people who post here are far stricter than both the appeal review team, and with the bulk of the reviewers. So if you happen to get a random set of forum reviewers, you* might get rejected for say, a clearly marked trailhead or unique bridge, while you look around and see hundreds of little free libraries in front yards and memorial benches, or the new spot I just saw that was an industrial ground vent, or this gem:

*And by you, of course I mean me.

• X0bai-PGOX0bai-PGO Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer is that the appeals reviewers at Niantic are minimally trained, with little feedback from their superiors, using their best judgement, and the result is inconsistent decision making, same as community reviewers.