There's quite a large park near here, nothing really in it...

So yes, there's a large park near where I live, but it's pretty much grass, paved paths, fences, fields, trees, and benches. I feel like it would be a good place for waypoints, but there's nothing really distinctive in there like trail markers, or signs, not even at the entrances.

It's a really good place for walking and exploring, shame there's nothing there in ingress or pokemon go. Could maybe parts of the paved path be nominated? It is just a doomed green space...

Comments

• Duiomar-PGODuiomar-PGO Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

A sign is extremely helpful for a park but not technically required, if you can get a good shot of it that is very obviously a park and is easy to verify on street view you could **** your shot and hope for the best. It might take a few tries though.

• No1ofConseqence-PGONo1ofConseqence-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

From my feel of the situation, if the nominator cannot find an suitably 'interesting' object to photograph without a manmade permanent object to anchor the wayspot to it would likely get rejected under 'Natural Feature'. I know a well-maintained lawn of a park should never be considered a 'natural feature', but that seems to be what keeps happening from the number of complaints we receive in here from folks who have nominated such parks and had them rejected.

• Shilfiell-INGShilfiell-ING Posts: 1,559 Ambassador

In many cases it's difficult to distinguish a manicured lawn in a park from a manicured lawn on PRP - although lawns are not natural (don't get me started on my general dislike of manicured lawns!) they're also ubiquitous in many places, and difficult to photograph in an appealing way. Maybe you could contact the local Parks department to see if signage or a Little Free Library or some form of public art would be a good fit for the space, or maybe talk to a scouting organization in need of a good Eagle-type project like trail markers or nature signs? I'd also make sure that the area is properly labeled on Google Maps as a park.

• spiesr-INGspiesr-ING Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

The park itself may or may not already be a Wayspot. OP's complaint however is that he feels like it should have many Wayspots. (Presumably so that one could stay in the park and play one of the games there for an extended time, rather than just drive up capture the portal/spin the stop and drive on to the next one.)

If the park lacks the amenities nothing can be done about it though.

• FireFly73-INGFireFly73-ING Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Good park nominations: park entrance signs, park map, kiosk, pavilion, gazebo, amphitheater, enclosed and fenced dog park, nature signs, playgrounds, footbridge on a walking path, sundial, any kind of sports field like baseball, soccer, volleyball, mural on a building, memorial plaque, historical sign, statue, touchable water fountains. You may not have any of these but they are all points of interest to look out for.

The green space itself is a hard sell. However, if it's rather unique and you can capture that in a photograph, and said photo correlates with google satellite, then there's definitely a chance. I reviewed a park nomination similar to this. I generally gave each item 3 stars or more as the park name also appeared on satellite. There was a follow-up nomination I reviewed in or near the park and saw the original was approved. I normally don't approve green space park photos as the photos are usually bad and many times it's not an official park, just a green space in a neighborhood or where streets intersect. The photos were really well taken, the description had substance and it the geography was unique.

• MargariteDVille-INGMargariteDVille-ING Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plants ARE "natural features", even if a human planted them there. Same for rocks, ponds, hills, etc.

Niantic even mentioned it last May, in their "Lightship 2022" conference (aimed at app dev, aka customers) somewhere in this session:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDRR_RRNgzc&list=PLCyCMgj5D_z7rtq_6UamxxgMNNvEjoulK&index=2

If a park without signs has a retaining wall, picnic table, anything manmade (not just man placed) - it could be argued as a park.

• No1ofConseqence-PGONo1ofConseqence-PGO Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

@MargariteDVille-ING I would agree that a plant is a natural feature, but firmly believe a garden bed is not; grass is a natural feature, but a lawn is not; a rock is a natural feature, but a rock wall is not; and a natural pond is a natural feature, but a man-made pond (such as one a homeowner might build in their front garden, complete with fountain) is not.

Sorry, but Niantic don't just get to redefine the word 'natural' for their convenience. If they also mean to include man-made objects that are cultivations of natural resources, then they need to better state their intent.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree landscaping isn't a natural feature, but the debate is irrelevant for Wayfarer. Natural feature isn't a rejection reason under the current criteria, despite it not being removed from the drop-down list.

They can still certainly be rejected under "other" if they don't meet eligibility criteria, of course, and in practice you'll never get one accepted without a sign.

• Gazzas89-PGOGazzas89-PGO Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the park has a website and/or something official online to prove its a park, take a picture of the benches and use them as the anchor for the park, with the supporting g infor making it clear you are using the benches as the anchor for the park, whilst also posting the official sites .... though expect it to fail