Trail mile markers

I like to use unique titles to truly differentiate between the mile markers on waking trails.

And my appeal for "Slippery When Wet" was approved.

So I'm tired of some of mine getting denied when they're acceptable

Granite a couple could use a retake of a pic but one can add a picture upon approval anyways

Comments

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I understand your endeavor to make them more distinct from each other, but it seems like they lack focus, which is probably confusing reviewers. I see that "Slippery When Wet" was approved on appeal but with that one in particular it's not clear if you're nominating the warning sign or the trail marker, but the title, which supercedes the description, seems like the nomination is for the warning sign, which isn't eligible. The one with "stairs" in the title, I don't see stairs in the photo, which makes that nomination seem like it's for a directional sign, but the description is for the trail marker. And so on. As you said, you can add photos later, and I think that is your key. Focus your nomination photo on the marker; just have it take up the whole frame. Once it's approved, you can try adding these full-signpost photos. An arduous process, but at least they're more likely to be accepted.

Of course, I can't see the supporting info or photo in these so I may be missing details that would change my advice.

• JillJilyJabadoo-PGOJillJilyJabadoo-PGO Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's one of those things. You have to choose between getting tired of your submissions being rejected or compromise on your personal preference, focus the picture on the trail markers and use a boring "X trail marker" title. You won't ever reach enough reviewers just posting on here or social media to get something like Slippery When Wet accepted without appeal.

• Melurra-PGOMelurra-PGO Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

In that case my advice is the same. I think you can use these adjacent signs to make a more distinct description, though. Still make your main photo just the trail marker part. Then, for example with "Control Your Speed," title it "South Trail Marker at 11.91 Miles" and make the description something like "Mile marker 11.91 on the South River Trail. Because of the incline on this section of the trail, cyclists are encouraged to control their speed and hikers should use caution." Then, if you do update the photo to the full signpost, it will already have context in the description.

• Purptacular-PGOPurptacular-PGO Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

It's always frustrating to get a rejection, especially considering that the trail markers you have been submitting certainly look eligible.

I think you can avoid rejections by focusing your main photos on the trail marker signs, rather than on the whole signposts, and by incorporating the trail name into the titles of your nominations.

I often nominate a large number of trail markers along the same trail, and I am easily able to differentiate them using cross streets, nearby points of interests, or directions. A few examples:

My titles aren't interesting or creative, but they help explorers know where my Wayspots are, and they don't get rejected.

• FireFly73-INGFireFly73-ING Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

Although they are acceptable, your primary photo appears to focus on a generic street sign instead of the actual mile marker. Take better primary photos with focus on the mile marker sign and use these larger ones as supporting photo.

For example the stop sign on Bedford Street looks like you are nominating the stop sign and not the 1.77 mile marker on the bottom of the post. Instead take a close-up of the 1.77 mile marker sign as your primary and use the one in your post as supporting. All I see is a stop sign in that photo as the most important object the photo focuses on. The mile marker looks like an after thought.

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the things you are neglecting is that we have not been told Niantic Reviews are "Gold Standard" and to accept what Niantic Reviews accept. We also have had examples posted of wrong Niantic Reviews. And even had appeals of Niantic Reviews accepted via forums.

So while you got "Slippery while wet" through a review, it would be interesting to tag @NianticGiffard to review it. Personally, I am suggesting that Niantic Giffard removes your appealed result and that the focus of your waystop is the Slippery while wet sign, not the trail marker.

Now on the other hand, if he wants to speak up, and say it's good, he can do that too.

I'm still going to go with you don't make the picture on the trail part of the sign, which leads to a misleading POI

• RyGuy10189-PGORyGuy10189-PGO Posts: 100 ✭✭

Why would you even suggest such a disgraceful thing. It got approved. And you're not even around the area to make it an issue

• Cowyn2016-PGOCowyn2016-PGO Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll repeat we have had Niantic Appeal mistakes. And I said if he wants to post in support of your sign he can do that too. Besides which you made it an issue by posting it here publically and reposting it multiple times,

More importantly, I think your picture does more harm than good to the wayfarer system as a whole. People who don't look closely and notice the trail sign underneath think its "okay" to submit other traffic signs. Well if That Stop Sign or That Slippery While Wet sign is approved, how about this one in my neighborhood. This gets rejected. Then leads to hurt feelings and turns people off wayfarer because they think its biased.

You're slippery while wet sign is IMO a bad nomination. You should be happy, but you also shouldn't be reposting it in forums, without expecting people to want replies about it.

The bigger issue is that the sign itself, if you simply took a close up on Trail Marker and not the Road Sign, should be approved.

• Archis0815-PGOArchis0815-PGO Posts: 8 ✭✭

I do Not understand why some of them have been accepted. You want to make simple Marker unique Bye combining it with an other sign. The Idea is noble but for reviewers it is probably not clear.

Imho Niantic should Stop supporting These Markers at all to get rid of this recurring Boeing discussions about These markers